• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    I recently got a used Smith and Wesson M&P 9 M2.0 without the safety lever installed. While I know many people think a manual safety on a gun is a bad idea, this probably won't be a carry gun (it's also my first gun), so I think I want to have a manual safety on it (I could always take it off of I don't like it).

To install the safety I need 3 parts: the safety lever itself, the detent, and detent spring. I see it sold on eBay for $52 (link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333360021598), but I don't really want to spend that much for something I don't know if I actually want (and would not have been an extra cost had I gotten a model with the safety).

Do people know of any cheaper ways to get the parts I need? I was thinking of stopping by my local gun range to see if maybe they had taken one out recently and would be willing to sell the parts to me for cheap (and possibly help with the install since I don't have a punch), but I'm looking for other options in case that doesn't pan out.

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I know. When I asked them about that on the phone they said they actually don't do that anymore because it voids the warranty. I'm not sure what changed that they stopped.
    Instead of changing your firearm.
    How about finding a one day handgun training course in your area. It would be well worth it.
    I don't think a one day basic handgun course is very expensive. But it's been awhile since I've been through a course.
    If you are interested I'm sure one of the guys can help you find one with a good firearms instructor.

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    Instead of changing your firearm.
    How about finding a one day handgun training course in your area. It would be well worth it.
    I don't think a one day basic handgun course is very expensive. But it's been awhile since I've been through a course.
    If you are interested I'm sure one of the guys can help you find one with a good firearms instructor.
    What is a "one day" handgun training course?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What is a "one day" handgun training course?

This is an old post, but it can give you an idea of what it is.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @j1566293 - check with your LGS, many run training classes. Search the net for training opportunities near you. You can come back here for feedback if you find anything you're interested in.

If you have a Range USA near you most have training classes.

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    I'm a bit confused about how we went from me wanting a safety for my gun to people suggesting carry classes. Right now I'm just looking to add a safety because this won't be a carry gun (and if I do decide to carry it in the future then I will remove the safety). Though I will look into classes once I decide I want to start carrying.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I'm a bit confused about how we went from me wanting a safety for my gun to people suggesting carry classes. Right now I'm just looking to add a safety because this won't be a carry gun (and if I do decide to carry it in the future then I will remove the safety). Though I will look into classes once I decide I want to start carrying.
    It's the INGO way!

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    You already have a safety. It's called your brain. :)

Seriously, not trying to be a smart ass, but training and proper handling procedures are far more reliable than any mechanical safety. And if you ever have to make it go bang in an emergency or under stress, not having a safety to deal with is one less thing to deal with. Nothing against those who prefer a safety, just not my thing.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm of the camp that says train/practice with what you carry. If that's a manual safety, run it and practice drawing, and clicking it off, until it becomes second nature. If no manual safety that's fine as well.

Now the important question. What do you like on your pizza?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm a bit confused about how we went from me wanting a safety for my gun to people suggesting carry classes.
    Safeties are a mechanical component of the firearm, and should not be relied upon as making the gun safe. The only safe gun is a gun handled safely by the one using it, regardless of how many safeties it has.
    Safeties don't prevent negligence. Also, guns don't accidentally go off, someone has to make them go off.
    So proper training is going to go a lot further for you than adding a safety, and as S&W said voiding the warranty of your current firearm.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    S&W said voiding the warranty of your current firearm.
    S&W will not refuse to service the gun unless the safety is installed Ina completely incompetent manner, and at worst remove it again before sending it in.

Some gun companies don't even offer a "warranty" and yet have great customer service and handle issues with guns.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You could trade someone for one with a safety. That would be the cheapest.
    Or just buy another...

One is none.

So now we have worked in training, the manual safety argument, pizza, and some enabling as well.

Welcome to INGO OP.

Top Bottom