• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxxkffg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    southside Indianapolis
    Yesterday my brother and I were doing some shooting at a local range. After about 75 rounds of not particularly dirty reloads my brothers 686 cylinder lock stuck in the down position. The cylinder would spin freely and you could still pull the trigger but no lock to stop the cylinder. He hasn't opened it up to look at it yet but I was wondering if anyone on here has seen this before. After a quick internet search I found nothing on the issue. Atleast not with a 686.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Yesterday my brother and I were doing some shooting at a local range. After about 75 rounds of not particularly dirty reloads my brothers 686 cylinder lock stuck in the down position. The cylinder would spin freely and you could still pull the trigger but no lock to stop the cylinder. He hasn't opened it up to look at it yet but I was wondering if anyone on here has seen this before. After a quick internet search I found nothing on the issue. Atleast not with a 686.

I would be happy to look at it, if you like .....

mxxkffg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    southside Indianapolis
    I would be happy to look at it, if you like .....

I'm hoping it's nothing he can't handle. We're thinking maybe some unburnt powder got down there. I was more surprised that I found nothing on the net. Bad thing is its the second issue he's had with the gun. Last time we were out the cylinder wouldn't fully lock in. It felt like it was but then it acted like the external lawyer lock had been applied. Then after fiddling with it it just started working again. It's like it has to be spotlessly clean or else.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Most likely culprit is the cylinder stop spring has either broke or is wore out. Could just be build up not letting it come back up. Either way, easy fix.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm hoping it's nothing he can't handle. We're thinking maybe some unburnt powder got down there. I was more surprised that I found nothing on the net. Bad thing is its the second issue he's had with the gun. Last time we were out the cylinder wouldn't fully lock in. It felt like it was but then it acted like the external lawyer lock had been applied. Then after fiddling with it it just started working again. It's like it has to be spotlessly clean or else.

This issue is likely connected to the current issue. I've never had a cylinder stop spring break on me, but I know a few competitive handgunners that keep a few springs in their range bags just in case.

Just thinking of other things here- did the trigger feel like it was returning all the way?

mxxkffg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    southside Indianapolis
    Just thinking of other things here- did the trigger feel like it was returning all the way?

To me it seemed fine but it's not my gun and I don't normally handle it too much. I probably wouldn't have noticed but my brother seemed to think everything else felt fine. I'll shoot him a text and ask him.

Thanks to all the replies

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Do a Google search for S&W cylinder bolt sticking. I think that is the correct name of the part you are having trouble with.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    New gun or older gun?
    Gun would have to be extremely dirty for cylinder stop to stick down.
    With the cylinder open and holding cylinder release back slowly pull the trigger and watch the cylinder stop drop. If it is dropping below the LOWER part of the frame window it can catch on the edge of the window and stick down. This will require some work on the cylinder stop so it doesn't come down as far.

As for cylinder not closing the lock has nothing to do with the cylinder opening or closing.
    Probably just had some powder residue under the extractor star, that is usually what causes this.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Maybe related maybe not. I worked on a friends Taurus M85 revolver recently that had an absolutely horrid trigger pull. She nor my wife could pull the trigger, but I could. Gun was probably 15 yrs old or so.

Tore it completely down, and found the factory lube had turned into a sticky nasty mess.

Cleaned it up, properly lubed and cleaned up some of Taurus nasty machining marks, made a world of difference.

Contrary to popular belief, they are a machine and machines need cleaned and lubed once in a while. :yesway:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So it ended up being an unburt grain of 4227 that got stuck between the frame and the cylinder lock.
    Thanks for the update. Glad it wasn't anything serious. Back when I was doing quite a lot of revolver shooting, some of us would take an M-16 brush, cut it in two and drill a hole in it. We would keep it handy, on a large key ring, just to keep the area under the ejection star free from debris, i.e. unburned powder. BTW, keep the area underneath the ejection star oil free and when you extract empty shell cases keep the cylinder turned completely upside down so that debris tends to fall clear.

Top Bottom