• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've got some wheel weights I need to smelt into ingots. I've heard a lot of people say they use candle wax to flux the lead with. Does it make any difference if the wax is colored or not? I've got a bunch of old red candles that I can use. Also, how much wax do you use for say a milk jug size amount of wheel weights? Thanks

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    It will work fine and at 700+degrees that color isn't going to make a difference. A pinch or two per pound mixed in once molten will do the job. Do this outside and stay upwind. Don't skim off the antimony when fluxing. Just the dirt.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    +1 on being in a WELL VENTILATED area. You do NOT want lead in your lungs/blood stream.

(The good news, though, is that it will metabolize out...eventually)

Don't smoke while you're smelting, don't eat, don't chew gum, don't play with your kids if you have any, don't be going in and out of the house or anything even remotely similar to the above until you've washed. And washed again. And leave your clothes outside if you can help it. This is especially important if there are children around...or going to be around.

-J-

Corky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N.W. Indiana
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom