• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    Thinking about getting into small game hunting (rabbit). And possibly farm meat rabbits in the spring.
    I have not hunted before, let alone hunted rabbits. Any suggestions on time of day, and general tips?

Figured I’d use a Ruger 10/22 Rifle. And if I get into farming them next year, maybe grab a .22 pistol/revolver.

IMG_9052.jpeg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I use a 22 if hunting with dogs, a shotgun if just kicking brush. I've had pen raised rabbits for dinner several times in deer camps and they were delicious. I've been told that they are easier to raise than about any other meat animal.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been hunting rabbits for 36 years and this would be my thoughts and advice for a beginner.
    First of all it kind of depends what kind of land you have access to. If it's a private farm, you might be able to get away with catching a sitting rabbit you can take with a .22. If you are hunting public land, you can bet it's going to be thick and I highly doubt you will get much of any chance at catching one sitting. Shaking the brush and hunting with a shotgun is your best bet. The key there is to use the right kind of ammo and don't over choke the gun. I use a 12g with 1 oz #6 shot Winchester rabbit & squirrel loads with either Imp Cylinder or Mod choke.
    I usually hit the brush on public land just about day break as they can become somewhat nocturnal since every predator animal will also be after rabbits. But, I've also had good success hunting after lunch when it warms up a bit too. So try different times
    It's personal preference, but I like to wear a pair of chaps while hunting rabbits because they do tend to hunker down in briar thickets that can scratch you up faster than an angry cat.
    Plan to walk a lot, but walk short distances and stop for a few minutes and make some kind of zig zag pattern. This makes you a little less predictable and can make a rabbit get up and run.
    It's not rocket science so just get out and start kicking the brush.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    All good advice. I love hunting rabbits and on several occasions, I would take both a shotgun and a .22 pistol for the occasional sighting of a sitting rabbit. When the snow is on the ground, I've also found spotting a sitting rabbit is easier.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    We had access to great hunting but most was scrub land with much hated briars at their thickest. We were our own dogs when I was a kid and we took turns being the dog ripping our way through those briars, one brother busting brush and one on either side in case the bunny decided to make a break for it across open ground. Our guns were always full of #4 or 5 shot. Amazing how much more success we had with those brush cutting loads then we took up using slug barrels when they came out to hunt the briars as it made it easier to swing. We raised rabbit and as Frost mentioned wild is much more tasty.

Hey Grandpa what’s for supper ?

We’re have’n bunny fried with lard, a 5 pound bag of squashed taters with 2 sticks of butter and a pint of cream, 5 sliced tomadders, a 6 quart bowl of beans of green boiled with back of hog and don’t worry there will be the gravy of god infused with the brown bits from the skillet of iron to cover the hoppers and bed of spuds and don’t forget the pie of pumpkin and a large ice cold glass from Elsie straight from the tap with a Happy Thanks Giving given to one and all!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Far be it from me to discourage anyone from buying a gun, but if you’re farming/raising rabbits you just break their necks. Super simple, and free.
    Yup. I've killed hundreds that way. And watched my dad do it to hundreds before I was strong enough. He'd stretch a batch and we'd both skin for a while. Then when I was bigger we'd each just do 'em one at a time..

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My brother and I took my son in law for his first ever small game hunt yesterday. We did see on rabbit but he he got away before I could get my gun off my shoulder. He kicked it up while I was looking up in some trees scanning for a squirrel. By the time I looked down and saw it, I didn't have time to get my gun off my shoulder.
    It was good time just to get out and get him introduced to it. He had fun and has already asked today when we can go again.

He's not as big as me, so I was able to outfit him with some chaps and a hunting coat that was sitting in the bottom of my closet.

We went and shot a few clays today. So it's been a busy weekend.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My brother and I took my son in law for his first ever small game hunt yesterday. We did see on rabbit but he he got away before I could get my gun off my shoulder. He kicked it up while I was looking up in some trees scanning for a squirrel. By the time I looked down and saw it, I didn't have time to get my gun off my shoulder.
    It was good time just to get out and get him introduced to it. He had fun and has already asked today when we can go again.

He's not as big as me, so I was able to outfit him with some chaps and a hunting coat that was sitting in the bottom of my closet.

We went and shot a few clays today. So it's been a busy weekend.
    I use to take my son rabbit hunting. But he was larger, slower and much easier to hit, so where is the fun in that?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Looking for updates on others rabbit seasons, all of our #’s are way down, any one else? What are you noticing, predation or cover problems?
    I've seen one or two on my new property (3.5acres) but last week when it snowed overnight, I woke up to find my new yard simply covered in rabbit tracks.
    Looked like enough tracks for a whole herd of rabbits.
    Night of the Lepus!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Looking for updates on others rabbit seasons, all of our #’s are way down, any one else? What are you noticing, predation or cover problems?
    I went out in the snow (I always try to hunt during a nice snowfall, reminds me of going when I was a kid) and saw quite a few tracks but couldn't scare anything out to shoot. I saw bunches of squirrels while deer hunting, no deer tho. A couple nice deer while squirrel hunting

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    I went out in the snow (I always try to hunt during a nice snowfall, reminds me of going when I was a kid) and saw quite a few tracks but couldn't scare anything out to shoot. I saw bunches of squirrels while deer hunting, no deer tho. A couple nice deer while squirrel hunting
    Nothing sweeter than rabbit hunting on an overcast day around 32* with snow flakes the size of quarters melting through to the shoulders with a flannel. T-shirt and a standard blanket lined carhart unzipped because its just on the edge of being to warm.

As far as the causes. To many fox, coyotes, domestic cats, pesticides, herbicides and lack of cover.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    A group of us went a couple weeks ago when it was bitter cold. That Saturday was -5 and Sunday was -10!

Hunted my place Saturday and got 3. We usually take 5 on a average every year . Sunday we hunted another farm and killed 14 , probably seen/missed another dozen. This farm has been great the last few years but other years it's been about 5 .

This is all kicking brush and pushing through some of the nastiest sh!t imaginable. Always a great time and the younger kids just eat it up. When someone yells THERE HE GOES , their faces just light up. It's my favorite time with the kids for sure.

Attachments

• 20240121_122857.jpg
      20240121_122857.jpg
      774.3 KB · Views: 16
    Top Bottom