• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A group of us went a couple weeks ago when it was bitter cold. That Saturday was -5 and Sunday was -10!

Hunted my place Saturday and got 3. We usually take 5 on a average every year . Sunday we hunted another farm and killed 14 , probably seen/missed another dozen. This farm has been great the last few years but other years it's been about 5 .

This is all kicking brush and pushing through some of the nastiest sh!t imaginable. Always a great time and the younger kids just eat it up. When someone yells THERE HE GOES , their faces just light up. It's my favorite time with the kids for sure.
    I certainly miss the days when we had access to private land to hunt rabbits. Public land is available but it's over hunted, and seems like we almost always encounter a situation where we end up in the same general area where someone is sitting in a deer stand. I'm sure they perceived it as ruining their hunt for the day.

We used to have access to private land down south that was on an old coal mine strip pit. A few occasions we met up with some other beagle owners we knew and they would have 4 or 5 rabbits on the run at the same time. There were really wide gravel roads where earth movers once drove. If you wanted to you could almost sit on the tailgate with a box of shells and just wait for them to run a rabbit by.

We've only gotten out to chase rabbits twice so far this year. But, we've also gone to a preserve twice to hunt Pheasant and Chukar. Maybe we'll be able to get out either this weekend or next.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Id like low brass 6, and even 5's for rabbits.
    Gotta get out and stomp around this weekend, even if the beagle guys have cleaned out the public land LOL
    Finally feeling up to it.
    I've caught flak for it here, but I like #4 buck for rabbits. Hits with two or three pellets and goes clean through. No broken teeth on shot.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've caught flak for it here, but I like #4 buck for rabbits. Hits with two or three pellets and goes clean through. No broken teeth on shot.
    For me, it really kind of depends on the landscape and time of year. Early season when brush is still thick and holding some vegetation (leaves etc.), I like #4 or 5 shot with just a tad more spice behind it. Later season, especially in years with more snowfall to knock things down I then tend to lean towards #5 or 6 shot less spicy loads.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    For me, it really kind of depends on the landscape and time of year. Early season when brush is still thick and holding some vegetation (leaves etc.), I like #4 or 5 shot with just a tad more spice behind it. Later season, especially in years with more snowfall to knock things down I then tend to lean towards #5 or 6 shot less spicy loads.
    I load my own. Far from full loads. I do use birdshot if I might bump a pat or turkey. Usually #6.

Top Bottom