• ...and so much more!
  • Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    On Youtube.

Smarter Every Day is an outstanding science show that often features excellent slow motion photography with ultra-high speed cameras. His videos, always highly entertaining, are also educational. Destin, the creator and host of the series, is also a strong supporter of the second amendment. He has done quite a bit of cool science stuff with firearms.

Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Due to the nature of the subject matter (the AK being an evil assault weapon and all), and it being a popular channel, there are quite a few uninformed people saying predictable things about the video. I'd encourage everyone to give it a view and also a thumbs up if you enjoy it.

I, however, will refrain from encouraging anyone to wade into the cesspool that is the YouTube comments section. Some things are best avoided.

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    I follow a lot of people on Youtube, but have never heard of this channel! Thanks for posting it. Though it is sure to eat up even more time...

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    fascinating! but I think he misstated "air is compressible and water is not" I dont think thats true. less compressible, sure. true enough that water was not compressed much under those circumstances but not true that it simply isnt compressible.

Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Relatively incompressible. Off of another board I frequent:

Density of water versus pressure at 20ºC

1 bar 998.2 kg/m³

25 bar 999.2 kg/m³

50 bar 1000.4 kg/m³

75 bar 1001.5 kg/m³

100 bar 1002.7 kg/m³ Depth of 1020 meters

150 bar 1004.9 kg/m³

200 bar 1007.1 kg/m³ Depth of 2040 meters

(1 bar = 100 kPa)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Water per se, is not compressible. The air entrained in the water IS compressible. This is one reason, along with the corrosion factor, that water is not used in hydraulics systems.
    Hydraulics systems use an oil of one type or another rather than water. I read an account of an old WWII cargo plane that had been shot and developed a hydraulic leak. They filled the system with milk to enable the landing gear to extend.

Most any fluid will work for hydraulics, but with it's air content, water makes a terrible medium.

I really love the explanation of the "bubble bounce" in the 2nd video. I was wondering when I first saw it, but had it figured out before he explained it.
    Very neat videos.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom