Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I am shooting a p365xl. Modifications include:

• Faxon Threaded Barrel
    • Wilson Combat Grip Module
    • Reduced weight striker spring (-20%)
    • Reduced Weight Striker Block Spring (-25%)
    • Reduced Weight Sear Spring (-25%)
    • Positive Reset Trigger Return / Trigger Bar Spring (+10%)
    It had been shooting wonderfully.

Today at the range, I was practicing doing some double taps. On the last round, the slide did not lock open.

The magazines should be fine. I do maintenance on them as well. Could the rapid fire cause an issue to where it did not lock open? This was the first and only time I’ve had this happen.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don’t know anything about the P365 but with my firearms whenever I have a slide lock failure, it is me. I don’t realize but my thumb is over the slide lock lever preventing it from actuating and therefore locking the slide. YMMV

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I vote right thumb as well, especially with rapid fire. Just be mindful next time shooting and I'll bet it doesn't happen or you catch your thumb hitting the slide release.

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    The most common reason this happens is the shooter’s thumb is on the slide stop.

With all of the reduced power springs, it is conceivably possible that the slide is moving so fast that it is outrunning the follower, but first, eliminate the shooter being the problem.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Maintenance on the magazines. Red Flag there, not for doing maintenance on them (that is a good thing).

I have seen more then a few pistols that if you put the magazine spring in backwards by accident, it doesn't push the follower up quite enough to trip the slide stop.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have my flame suit on!

I have witnessed more failures with modified pistols in classes than stock ones. I have witnessed a couple of P365’s have issues related to ammo.

Last class all kinds of malfunction’s one student was using his old issue P226 beat to hell it ran like a Swiss watch.

In Gabe White‘s class a student ask what pistols he has issues with. He stated heavily modified Glock #1 and #2 any other that was heavily modified.

On the OP question check thumb 1st.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    For those calling out the modifications, normally that would be my top suspect as well, however in this case user induced is by far the most likely. Although those mods are not something I would do to a carry gun, at first glance I am not sure how they would cause this particular problem.

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I have my flame suit on!

I have witnessed more failures with modified pistols in classes than stock ones. I have witnessed a couple of P365’s have issues related to ammo.

Last class all kinds of malfunction’s one student was using his old issue P226 beat to hell it ran like a Swiss watch.

In Gabe White‘s class a student ask what pistols he has issues with. He stated heavily modified Glock #1 and #2 any other that was heavily modified.

On the OP question check thumb 1st.
    Thank you very much. The reason I listed those modifications was because I was worried about that as well. I went out this morning and put through a hundred rounds and didn’t have any issues. The only thing I did differently was that I was very careful of my thumb in case that was it. I’m hoping that is all it was. Time and rounds will for sure tell.

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    For those calling out the modifications, normally that would be my top suspect as well, however in this case user induced is by far the most likely. Although those mods are not something I would do to a carry gun, at first glance I am not sure how they would cause this particular problem.
    I shot this morning watching my thumb. I really think that was the case. I suspect suspect it is user error. I’ll keep shooting and see if it appears anymore.

Top Bottom