• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I see some dead on the hwy but none up close. That was till today. My 2 beagles found a half-grown one today and we all got sprayed. One came out slobbering and rubbing his eyes but went right back for the kill. After the party I headed for the douche stash, but it was 15 years old and my daughter said we needed new stash. Maybe tomorrow.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'm not to far from you, and besides the dead ones on the road I've only seen live ones 1 time driving, couple of babies playing in a ditch

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I hadn't seen or smelled one in several years. Previous dog killed one and got sprayed really bad in the back yard.
    Monday morning I let the dog out at 5am, and almost immediately knew she wad after something. Yep skunk in the yard, and she got sprayed a little. I checked the yard and didn't find a carcass.
    Tuesday morning, same thing happened when I let her out. At least the skunk is dead now.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    My dog and I saw one a few weeks ago, in the wee hours of the morning.
    It was about 50-60 feet away, just beyond my yard, waddling towards us. It wasn't too big. We were able to get it to waddle back towards the woods with some bright flashlight action and some boofing.
    No harm no foul. It went on about it's business as did we.

That does remind me of seeing a skunk two years ago at the edge of my driveway. It was just getting dark outside, and I noticed the stinker as I walked in the back door. My wife was hitching up our dog to take him out.
    I told her to watch out for the skunk by the driveway. She came back in after a minute and asked where the skunk was, that she didn't see one. I had just stepped in, so I knew where the skunk was. She said she saw something but it wasn't a skunk.
    I stepped out the back door and wow! Standing exactly where the skunk was seen, was a fairly hefty owl. He just stood there, not moving, but watching me.
    I think I figured out where the skunk was. Funny thing is, the next morning there was no odor at all where the skunk was.
    I guess the owl hit it so fast, it didn't have time to react.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I see them on the cameras here as well. Caught one in a trap that was in a shed once also. That was interesting. I was going to just shoot it, but figured it would stink up the shed with spray. A buddy of mine showed me how to throw a blanket over the cage and move it, to my surprise it worked. Hope I don't have to try that myself though.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I see them on the cameras here as well. Caught one in a trap that was in a shed once also. That was interesting. I was going to just shoot it, but figured it would stink up the shed with spray. A buddy of mine showed me how to throw a blanket over the cage and move it, to my surprise it worked. Hope I don't have to try that myself though.
    Hubby used a cut tractor tire innertube thrown over the traps when he had to relocate any.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I see some dead on the hwy but none up close. That was till today. My 2 beagles found a half-grown one today and we all got sprayed. One came out slobbering and rubbing his eyes but went right back for the kill. After the party I headed for the douche stash, but it was 15 years old and my daughter said we needed new stash. Maybe tomorrow.
    Grew up in western Kansas. Saw plenty of the buggers. Kept a shotgun in the trunk just in case. Scared the bejuses out of a couple girls from church youth group when I saw a skunk while driving them home. Skidded to a stop, popped the trunk, blam!, gun back in the trunk, and then silence the rest of the way home.

Then 2 years ago, I shot one on my Mom's back porch with my idpa 1911. All I had was target ammo so took several hits... Mom has begged me not to do that again! They smelled skunk all summer!

Rick

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana

WTF?! LMAO!!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    A few years ago we took our 3 little people to see the reds in Cincinnati. At the time we didn't realize the hotel was about a mile away. We were walking back later in the evening after the game in an industrial part of town and stumbled across a skunk about 1/2 a block on the same side of the street. I called out "Skunk!" and we all crossed the street. No body got sprayed, so we won.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Grew up in western Kansas. Saw plenty of the buggers. Kept a shotgun in the trunk just in case. Scared the bejuses out of a couple girls from church youth group when I saw a skunk while driving them home. Skidded to a stop, popped the trunk, blam!, gun back in the trunk, and then silence the rest of the way home.

Then 2 years ago, I shot one on my Mom's back porch with my idpa 1911. All I had was target ammo so took several hits... Mom has begged me not to do that again! They smelled skunk all summer!

Rick
    They just didn't want to end up in the trunk, lol. Reminds me of when a HS friend and I were on a double date with two girls who "just came to the party to say hello" and really weren't that into us. He was driving, and had long since made the determination we weren't getting l**d that night, so when a groundhog appeared in the road...he veered left of the yellow line and walloped it. That stopped the "car ride jabber" for a while :cool:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    It's true but it was more like 25 years old. I used to have a dog that got sprayed regularly so that was all I found that worked. And yes I have a fresh stash now.
    Dawn and some hydrogen peroxide are what I hear work the best. Never been sprayed. Never had an inside dog get it either. The outside dogs on the farm just had to let it wear off.

I had one walk over the toes of my boots one morning as I sat on the ground hunting squirrels. We parted friends.

Top Bottom