• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    This has probably been already discussed, but I couldn't find it.... I just acquired a Chicom SKS, do we have any experts, or someone who read a book, about them, Mine was built in the 26 factory, but can't fine the period , guess I'll do some more Googlefu, but for now, anyone? 4ACED5BC-69C0-46DE-9A50-8105D92B587C.jpeg BAB36F9D-43D0-4780-92D5-9F462A2A54A6.jpeg

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Mods, I found a source for the info I'm looking for, please delete thread, I can't seem to be able to close it

240sx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2019
    Fishers

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Yea it's a great site. They have sling identification too if I'm not mistaken. Didn't realize I had a Romanian leather sks sling and a Albanian one too................ I found that with a little Googlefu, found out my SKS was made in 1959, which is kind of cool

tbone1951

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    This has probably been already discussed, but I couldn't find it.... I just acquired a Chicom SKS, do we have any experts, or someone who read a book, about them, Mine was built in the 26 factory, but can't fine the period , guess I'll do some more Googlefu, but for now, anyone? View attachment 105406 View attachment 105407
    I drank across 5 rifle with nothing but marching serial numbers, no other markings.
    All have early parts but no Arsenal marks just serial numbers.
    My question is are they put togethers for pure export or scrubbed military rifles. They have very nice finishes.

tbone1951

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Ben trying to figure it out for a while. Probably strictly commercial.
    O well they’re nice and shoot well.

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Ok.. I traded for this gun, and at first I had buyers remorse....took it to the range, and I love this gun, finally found a gun ammo combo that is just right...for me.. 7.62x39 ammo even now, is pretty reasonable, and it shot smooth, and accurate....this is an heirloom gun, my son will get it.....someday....

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Ok.. I traded for this gun, and at first I had buyers remorse....took it to the range, and I love this gun, finally found a gun ammo combo that is just right...for me.. 7.62x39 ammo even now, is pretty reasonable, and it shot smooth, and accurate....this is an heirloom gun, my son will get it.....someday....
    SKS's are weird like that. I was never particularly interested until I shot one. A Yugoslav one I think. They're just fun, if they were still around for super cheap I'd have one

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Ben trying to figure it out for a while. Probably strictly commercial.
    O well they’re nice and shoot well.

Non-arsenal marked often means early Chinese. But like everything chicom-milsurp related, there are a thousand variations and provenance can be hard to fully prove - your gun could have been scrubbed and the parts force matched, or it could have been built outside a state arsenal, etc. etc.

If you're able to upload some photos we might be able to help you out. Clear, high-res, close-up photos of the top, bottom, and sides of the receiver. And some quality wide shots of the gun itself. Are the stock and bayonet original, do you know? Or has anything been or look to have been replaced?

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Non-arsenal marked often means early Chinese. But like everything chicom-milsurp related, there are a thousand variations and provenance can be hard to fully prove - your gun could have been scrubbed and the parts force matched, or it could have been built outside a state arsenal, etc. etc.

If you're able to upload some photos we might be able to help you out. Clear, high-res, close-up photos of the top, bottom, and sides of the receiver. And some quality wide shots of the gun itself. Are the stock and bayonet original, do you know? Or has anything been or look to have been replaced?
    The dust cover has ben replaced with a Red Star scope mount, that has been machined off, so I'll be looking for a replacement. Looking to keep original, all numbers match, the bayonet is missing, so might try to find one. Using the milsurp.com website, I found that mine was probably (if I read it right) made in 1959, not rare by any means, I mean they made 26 million of them, but I like it. thanks for all the input everyone, as usual INGO comes through.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Really my chicom sks couldn't hit the broad side of a barn standing inside the barn. It was brand new. Unissued. Know I know why it never got issued. It was absolutely inaccurate. Maybe it was a 2nd that they passed to unsuspecting Americans. I sold it for $20 more than I paid for it. Sold it for $90.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    This has probably been already discussed, but I couldn't find it.... I just acquired a Chicom SKS, do we have any experts, or someone who read a book, about them, Mine was built in the 26 factory, but can't fine the period , guess I'll do some more Googlefu, but for now, anyone? View attachment 105406 View attachment 105407
    This site is probably the most comprehensive guide to all things sks. Have fun!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    All serial number look up for i believe all sks on at this link

My Yugoslavian model 59/66 was made in 1971. It has all matching numbers on it. Stock, magazine, receiver, and receiver cover. It's in excellent condition.

Last edited:

hurryinhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Bloomfield
    Im a huge fan of them and probably have more than I need.... Wait, did I just type that???

I have been fortunate to find a couple that I believe were test fired only and have zero wear marks and they are stuffed back where they just suck to get them out. Im also fortunate to have my old "cockroach" that is a Norinco refurb wearing a Russian stock and is just a funky old rifle....but its a paratrooper gun and its a solid shooter.

Top Bottom