• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    this isnt a versus thread or anything because i laready have both of them. but they both are pretty much stock.

i have reasons for wanting to upgrade them both but im not sure what i should do first. i am on a budget so i cant do both plus i have other stuff i have to get too.

SKS- im 6'5 and my arms are way too long for the stock. so should i buy an aftermarket stock for it? that way i have another carbine style rifle? but i already have AR15 so i dont think i would need 2

Mosin- as i mentioned i already have a good carbine but i dont have a long range gun. i already have a bipod setup on my mosin. all i need is a butt pad, and a scope mount. so should i go this route?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i would go for the mosin, with the mosin you can always pick up another cheap and then modify it so that you can leave one all original

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    The stock on the SKSs are too short for me, too. I just bought a screw on extended butt pad to give me a longer length of pull. Cheaper than a new stock, and leaves money left over for Mosin goodies.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    this isnt a versus thread or anything because i laready have both of them. but they both are pretty much stock.

i have reasons for wanting to upgrade them both but im not sure what i should do first. i am on a budget so i cant do both plus i have other stuff i have to get too.

SKS- im 6'5 and my arms are way too long for the stock. so should i buy an aftermarket stock for it? that way i have another carbine style rifle? but i already have AR15 so i dont think i would need 2

Mosin- as i mentioned i already have a good carbine but i dont have a long range gun. i already have a bipod setup on my mosin. all i need is a butt pad, and a scope mount. so should i go this route?

Since you have an AR-15, I would do the MOSIN, so you have a long range rifle:twocents:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    The stock on the SKSs are too short for me, too. I just bought a screw on extended butt pad to give me a longer length of pull. Cheaper than a new stock, and leaves money left over for Mosin goodies.

im not sure that the inch or two will help much. i am very lanky. i shoot my AR in the far back 6th position. anything shorter is uncomfortable

Since you have an AR-15, I would do the MOSIN, so you have a long range rifle:twocents:

yea thats kinda the way im leaning. heres a problem. should i buy a bent and a regular scope mount? or should i get the mount that goes on the old sites and then buy a long eye releif scope. either way im gonna have to put some money into this one

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    yea thats kinda the way im leaning. heres a problem. should i buy a bent and a regular scope mount? or should i get the mount that goes on the old sites and then buy a long eye releif scope. either way im gonna have to put some money into this one[/QUOTE]

As far as the Mosin goes, the scope mount is up to you. Both work fine, I had a reciver mount on mine it worked very well. And they are pretty decent on price. One thing I would recomend is having your bolt belt, makes the rifle alot easier to use IMO,:twocents:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    [quote/]As far as the Mosin goes, the scope mount is up to you. Both work fine, I had a reciver mount on mine it worked very well. And they are pretty decent on price. One thing I would recomend is having your bolt belt, makes the rifle alot easier to use IMO,:twocents:[/quote]

so your saying i should get the regular scope mount but buy a bent bolt?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If you get a reciver scope mount you have to have your bolt bent or you can action the bolt it will hit the mount. If you use the mount that attaches to the stock iron sight mount its up to if you choose to have it done. The bent bolt just makes the rifle alot easier to action. which ever mount you go with or if you dont use a scope the bent bolt is a gret upgrade for a mosin

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I had mine done locally for 40 bucks, just check around were you live to see if anyone does it if not, there are a few places on the net that you send it to and have it done and they will send it back to ya

Top Bottom