• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Looking for the experts 2 cent opinions on the new offering by Sig Sauer tread rifle. Have a couple AR platform rifles but not very knowledgeable on subject.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Have an M400 for work. It's the LE model, not the TREAD, but they should be relatively similar.

I'm very happy with the gun. I have never had a malfunction with it that was not intentionally induced, and have taken it through some pretty demanding classes in some pretty gnarly weather conditions.

Accuracy is excellent, and the factory trigger is really nice. The furniture is pretty good, too...it's Sig branded but is comparable to the Magpul MOE stuff. There are QD sockets built into the lower receiver and stock, too, which is a nice touch.

Upgrades over a run-of-the-mill AR are ambi and extended controls (honestly, I could do without these), a rubber insert to tighten up the upper-to-lower fit, and the QD socket built into the lower receiver.

The only real complaint I have about the guns is that they tend to be difficult to seat a loaded mag under a closed bolt, even if you download the mag. They are tighter than any of my builds, or the Colts or FNs we used to have. I've learned to take the time to lock the bolt open if I'm trying to change mags quickly, as doing so is faster than repeatedly beating on a mag that doesn't want to seat.

Overall I'm confident with the rifle. It's reliable, well-made, and accurate.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I own an M400 made around 2016 and it’s been a good gun. As stated previiusly, it has the QD socket for swivel built in the receiver.

The department I worked for issued newer suppressed Sig M400 but these were ordered SBR. The one I was issued was a good gun. Some armorers thought they were tighter tolerance in the parts and fitting than our previous guns.

I dont know about the tread model.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Was gifted one (quad rail M400), I modified it to my preferences. Solid weapon. Have not noticed any issues with magazines and I have a dog's breakfast of them, but have not been looking.

1689857225463.png

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I bought a Sig M400 Enhanced Patrol rifle back in 2011. It had a standard FSB, OD green Magpul furniture, ambi controls except for the bolt release and QD sockets. It has been a solid gun. If the Tread is anything like it, it would serve you well.

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Put in order today.

It being a sig other manufacturers barrels probably will not work but what about triggers and sights or scope mounts?
    New to accessorizing AR’s.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Put in order today.

It being a sig other manufacturers barrels probably will not work but what about triggers and sights or scope mounts?
    New to accessorizing AR’s.
    The M400 is just like any other AR. All of those things, including the barrel, can be customized with standard AR parts.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Not really. I don't know as I've ever seen the m400 marketed as anything other than a traditional DI AR. It has some features that make some of it's parts non-milspec, and thus "proprietary", but the operating bits will all interchange with milspec parts, to my knowledge.

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The value per dollar with this M400 tread is determined by how much you paid for it and what parts come on it as compared to other ARs with those same parts

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Friend said medium level rifle with nothing special not a bad price.
    7 pound trigger but sights first.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not really. I don't know as I've ever seen the m400 marketed as anything other than a traditional DI AR. It has some features that make some of it's parts non-milspec, and thus "proprietary", but the operating bits will all interchange with milspec parts, to my knowledge.
    My M400 has a Centurion BCG in it. (Unless Colt all AR-15s get Centurion BCGs)

No issues.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Picked up yesterday.
    The kicker was the billet lower and upper. That is pricey to up grade.
    Thanks Kirk Freeman for the optics and sights info.
    Seriously looking at that optic.
    Not sure what is on the Springfield, thought is that they should match at least style wise.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Picked up yesterday.
    The kicker was the billet lower and upper. That is pricey to up grade.
    Thanks Kirk Freeman for the optics and sights info.
    Seriously looking at that optic.
    Not sure what is on the Springfield, thought is that they should match at least style wise.
    Just shot several Alt Cs this weekend with the PA MD-25 on Colt 6920SOCOM, both on and off.

Feels so good with old eyes, lol.

(Did not get a 40, bested with 38, but I am OK with that, just need more dry fire, feeling tired I pulled my last shots)

Top Bottom