• ...and so much more!
  • Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Welcome to gun ownership lol. Sorry about the lol, when we all get our guns the way we want them they are such a joy. But when not it’s time to cuss them. Just enjoy your new fixed gun you do like it so just shoot it till you can’t anymore. There is no unicorn out there.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Are you using a '1911 barrel bushing wrench'?
    Have you tried turning the bushing with the slide moved enough to the rear to take the barrel out of lockup?
    Even "drop in" 1911 parts frequently take a bit of fitting to achieve proper function. A few minutes work with 400 to 600 grit 'wet or dry' sandpaper may resolve this issue.

1. Smooth as glass now! Apparently, I don't need the wrench since it is so smooth!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to gun ownership lol. Sorry about the lol, when we all get our guns the way we want them they are such a joy. But when not it’s time to cuss them. Just enjoy your new fixed gun you do like it so just shoot it till you can’t anymore. There is no unicorn out there.

1. Yes, my first gun fix. :rockwoot:
    2. I really want to justify getting that Colt 1911-22 at Marksman Shooting Sports, but noone is telling me it's any better, even the guy at ZR Tactical that specializes in upgrades for them didn't tell me to hurry and run to buy the Colt (made by Walther, like Sig is made by GSG), he said there is nothing wrong with the GSG after the upgrades.
    3. Especially now that I have the upgrades done to the Sig, unless the Colt comes with the proper quality to have the equivalent upgrades OEM.
    4. The OEM Sig and GSG comes with a plastic guide rod that lasts only about 500 rounds before breaking: unbelievable! Therefore, the stainless steel longer one aftermarket (OEM too short also).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It is done!!! FIXED LIKE NEW (like I thought I was buying, :laugh:)...

He also said when asked that there was no reason to sell the Sig and get the Colt, the Sig is just as good.

Yep, now you have a known quantity of a gun. Keep it and shoot the heck out of it. If the finish starts to go, contact AllenM and have it cerakoted.

I get that it seems that the hunt for the deal and owning a variety of guns at any one point is part of this hobby for you, but I'd slow down a bit and start thinking about what your interests are and pursue those specifically. There will always be a great deal out there on something, but unless that something was something you already wanted, etc it may not make sense.

I say this just having ordered an M&P Compact 2.0 because the price was good, when I am almost 100% invested in the Glock platform. There is room to experiment, etc for sure, but you seem to be flipping through guns pretty fast, though you seem to do well at your pricing research. Just my 2 cents. I was similar when I got into firearms and had all kinds of different stuff.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yep, now you have a known quantity of a gun. Keep it and shoot the heck out of it. If the finish starts to go, contact AllenM and have it cerakoted.

I get that it seems that the hunt for the deal and owning a variety of guns at any one point is part of this hobby for you, but I'd slow down a bit and start thinking about what your interests are and pursue those specifically. There will always be a great deal out there on something, but unless that something was something you already wanted, etc it may not make sense.

I say this just having ordered an M&P Compact 2.0 because the price was good, when I am almost 100% invested in the Glock platform. There is room to experiment, etc for sure, but you seem to be flipping through guns pretty fast, though you seem to do well at your pricing research. Just my 2 cents. I was similar when I got into firearms and had all kinds of different stuff.

1. No, you're fine: advice and insight from someone with 10x the posts and 7 yrs. more experience is welcomed. If I had a personal friend into guns (like I used to in late 80s) I would be less "shotgun" method. I talked to that friend today (retired in another state) and he had every gun that I had but 1 level bigger. I sold him some guns when I got out in 1990 that I wish I had: collector items now.
    2. You are dead on and I know you're right, I'm just focused on buying and selling so I can figure out what it is I really want. The fact that I will buy anything if the price is right came back to bite me on a $100 repair on a $200 1911-22 Sig that I bought a few weeks ago. It was new and never fired but upgrades had been done (which are quite common for these guns), but they were from a non-top-tier seller, and everything had to be redone with some repair.
    3. $$ will force the issue, and I'm right on the edge now.
    4. I have at least 2 more guns I want: 22 and 32 tilt-up barrel Beretta or maybe Taurus, depending on price.
    5. I have at least 2 guns that I plan to sell, one of my 38s (sold my Smith 64 twin already), and my 709 Taurus slim (waiting to get it back from the factory)
    6. I want to keep both my Shields for now, but the 45 is on borrowed time, just enjoying it.
    7. I appreciate your confession about the M&P Compact 2.0. :laugh:

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County

When I got my GSG, Sig did not have an offering. When they did start offering the 1911-22, I was glad I got the one from ATI since it was $100 less than the Sig. When I decided on the GSG, only choice I had was between ATI and Chiappa. I decided to go GSG, because I felt the quality was there that made the gun look and feel like a true 1911. The Chiappa felt cheap. It was less money, but not enough to persuade me to save the cash. I have since handled the Chiappa 1911-22 on several occasions and my opinion is still the same.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When I got my GSG, Sig did not have an offering. When they did start offering the 1911-22, I was glad I got the one from ATI since it was $100 less than the Sig. When I decided on the GSG, only choice I had was between ATI and Chiappa. I decided to go GSG, because I felt the quality was there that made the gun look and feel like a true 1911. The Chiappa felt cheap. It was less money, but not enough to persuade me to save the cash. I have since handled the Chiappa 1911-22 on several occasions and my opinion is still the same.

1. I have heard disparaging things about the cheap "pot" metal used in the Chiappa 1911-22.
    2. I wonder if the GSG and the Sig are exactly the same: the vids indicate yes. Even the case is identical except for the name on it.
    3. I have seen the Sig for sale on Armslist used for $325, which makes that used Colt at $200 look good (Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports sold 2 in 2 weeks for $200).
    4. I saw a wonderful vid comparing each part of the Colt/Walther and the Sig/GSG and it was very good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lwsj7D0qmg

Better:
    slide - Colt
    barrel - Colt
    trigger - Sig
    frame - Colt
    magazine - Sig (but Colt 12 round not 10)
    accuracy - both
    durablilty - Colt
    shells - Colt (more flexible, eating about anything)
    spring - Colt
    guide rod - Sig (b/c of length, but it is plastic and does not hold up I read, therefore the upgrades like was done on my Sig)
    bushing and "plunger" for spring - same
    Colt - less little parts (pin/screw)
    Overall preference by author - Colt, but can't go wrong with either one

Note: I wish I could have gotten the Colt and done the upgrade on it.

Top Bottom