• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeeper038

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Has anyone had any failure to feed issues with their P238? I just bought this gun and have never fired it. First I tried Federal Premium hollow points. I pulled the slide back and let it go only to see the slide move about 1/4". The tip of the bullet jammed on the feed ramp. I continued to try and cycle the bullets through and over half would jam like this. I then switched to Tulammo FMJ thinking it was just the hollow point. With this ammo, the bullet would enter the chamber but would get stuck before it would fully seat. Then it was hard to extract. I tried 2 or 3 times and gave up.

In both cases I tried the slingshot method and the slide release method of loading.

Any thoughts?

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    P238

I've been using the Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX for a couple of years now. I've also used Remington FMJ. No issues with either. Tula has gotten some bad reviews.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I use the Hornady Critical Defense as well. I did used to carry with a hot Corbon round, but I cannot remember the specs. It worked fine, but I had swapped to a 12# spring before running those. I went back to the Hornaday rounds due to availability and because I like those rounds. They're easy to shoot and will work just about as well as anything else in .380. The little Sig is one of my favorite guns and has been very reliable for me.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    I have one for my EDC,& use Remington JHP, and other ammo works fine. Is yours new or used ? The last part of your paragraph has me concerned. Maybe you should give it a good clean job, & you might see a problem . Try polishing the ramp.

jeeper038

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    It is a brand new gun, never fired. I cleaned it when I first bought it and it all looked good.

I thought about polishing the feed ramp but I am worried about sig not covering warranty work if I do that, especially if It is brand new.

I only bought the Tula because it is all I could find in the stores.

sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    Did you try to manually just drop a hollow point round into the chamber with the barrel out of the gun? If it won't drop in you might have a defect from the factory with an undersized chamber.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    It is a brand new gun, never fired. I cleaned it when I first bought it and it all looked good.

I thought about polishing the feed ramp but I am worried about sig not covering warranty work if I do that, especially if It is brand new.

I only bought the Tula because it is all I could find in the stores.

On a brand new gun, I'd rather let SIG fix it than mess with it myself and void the warranty.

jeeper038

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Ok, so I just tried dropping the bullets in the barrel while it was out of the gun and both the hollow point and Tula seemed to fully seat. The Tula was a little tight though. I then put it back together and tried cycling the hollow points again. I only had one that stuck and would not feed. I also noticed that the tips had a slight burr on them. I assume that is from catching on the feed ramp.

Could this be from the mag spring being brand new and tight thus not allowing the bullet to feed smoothly?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I bought a 238 sport a few weeks ago. I experienced the same issue when chambering the first round with WWB. After racking the slide again it worked fine and the mag ran with no issues but it did that every time I reloaded. I have 6 and 7 round clips and had the same issue with both. I ran about 50 rounds through the gun. I then ran a couple clips of hornaday defense rounds with no issue . Back to the wwb with the same issue. I bought a couple of different boxes of cheap ammo and want to try them this weekend

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I just bought one

Wow. I just bought one of these pocket pistols. I am waiting the 10 day wait period before I can pick it up from the gun store. That is the penalty for living in California. I hope it doesn't have any problems with it though.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I bought a 238 sport a few weeks ago. I experienced the same issue when chambering the first round with WWB. After racking the slide again it worked fine and the mag ran with no issues but it did that every time I reloaded. I have 6 and 7 round clips and had the same issue with both. I ran about 50 rounds through the gun. I then ran a couple clips of hornaday defense rounds with no issue . Back to the wwb with the same issue. I bought a couple of different boxes of cheap ammo and want to try them this weekend

clips...............clips.............c l i p s .....:laugh:

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Shoot it. I had a 1911 when new that I could not strip the first round off the mag. After 2-3 mag fulls it started working right. I use either Hornady Defense Rounds or Underwood and have not had problem in a couple years now.

MaLfUnCtIoN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    I love my P238. The more I fired it when it was new the better the action worked. Mine likes to run a little wet so I lube the action well. It likes Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Mine has been flawless out of the box. Zero issues in 600 rounds. Ball and HP. I would not be too patient. Maybe another box and consider sending back to Sig. They will correct it.

Top Bottom