• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm thinking that I might take another shot at Skips' idea of committing to one platform. Maybe even one gun. As I had spoken of in a different thread, what would you do if you were granted perfect knowledge that you would be in a gun fight in December. And, the fate of someone that you love more than life itself would be determined by your performance in that gunfight. You are not told when, how, or where. Only that it will happen and that there is no escape.

How do you spend the next 7 months. Do you continue to take whatever gun tickles your fancy to the range on any given day? Or, do you figure out what works well and then work to be the best you can be with it?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm thinking that I might take another shot at Skips' idea of committing to one platform. Maybe even one gun. As I had spoken of in a different thread, what would you do if you were granted perfect knowledge that you would be in a gun fight in December. And, the fate of someone that you love more than life itself would be determined by your performance in that gunfight. You are not told when, how, or where. Only that it will happen and that there is no escape.

How do you spend the next 7 months. Do you continue to take whatever gun tickles your fancy to the range on any given day? Or, do you figure out what works well and then work to be the best you can be with it?
    I'd buy the best body armor that I could get and wear it all the month.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    You know…a lot of us are on the same channel here. Was just looking at AR500 yesterday.

Don’t. AR500 is trash, hot M193 will punch right through it. Steel plates are good for practicing in your gear or for targets at distance. Anyone who suggests it for serious protection use is a shill or uneducated. This has been proven time and time again (spall issue debate aside). It MAY work, but if I felt I needed plates, “may” work would not be acceptable to me in any way, for any reason.

Not trying to start a fight, just trying to educate and save a life (in the 0.0000000001% chance you needed plates as a civilian lol). If you want something to run in a plate carrier for competitions or exercise, steel is fine. Otherwise? Hard pass.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You know…a lot of us are on the same channel here. Was just looking at AR500 yesterday.

35% off with code: SPRINGLOADED35

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    WARNING!!!!!!! LONG POST!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL
    So, I went to the range today to get some "standards" for the beginning of this journey. I hope I can make it for a while. I think this has some promise!
    Here is what I did. I took the Dot Torture (Timed) Drill, the Fast Test and the 1,2,3 drill and recorded the times that I took to shoot it. Two pistols: My P365 X MACRO TACOPS and P320 Compact. The two latter courses are able to be found out on the web. The DTT drill is as follows:

View attachment 268406
    There are a lot of times that are not all that stellar BUT, I'm just getting started in this journey, so, honestly, I'm pretty well pleased with them. Just by way of information, I did the DTT Drill a few weeks ago with these two pistols too. The times on these tests are better than I did on those so.....I think that is improvement.

I don't have any unrealistic expectations either. I'm 67, overweight and I don't have the upper body strength nor the response time nor the mental acuity I had when younger. I'm never going to get to a sub 1 second draw. I'm good with that. On my best days, I'm at 1.3sec area but, everything has to be done perfectly for me....My reloads suffer some because of that too, I think I am now around a 3.5sec reload. Both the draw and reload are from concealment too, not open. I hope that gives me a bit of an "alibi" or "Mulligan" or excuses to keep some of the "Tacticool Folks" away from being too critical and commenting.

(P.S. There was an error on the sheet that I have now corrected too.)
    Here are the times from my P365 X MACRO TACOPS:
    View attachment 268405

Here are the times from my P320 Compact:
    View attachment 268407

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    WARNING!!!!!!! LONG POST!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL
    So, I went to the range today to get some "standards" for the beginning of this journey. I hope I can make it for a while. I think this has some promise!
    Here is what I did. I took the Dot Torture (Timed) Drill, the Fast Test and the 1,2,3 drill and recorded the times that I took to shoot it. Two pistols: My P365 X MACRO TACOPS and P320 Compact. The two latter courses are able to be found out on the web. The DTT drill is as follows:

View attachment 268406
    There are a lot of times that are not all that stellar BUT, I'm just getting started in this journey, so, honestly, I'm pretty well pleased with them. Just by way of information, I did the DTT Drill a few weeks ago with these two pistols too. The times on these tests are better than I did on those so.....I think that is improvement.

I don't have any unrealistic expectations either. I'm 67, overweight and I don't have the upper body strength nor the response time nor the mental acuity I had when younger. I'm never going to get to a sub 1 second draw. I'm good with that. On my best days, I'm at 1.3sec area but, everything has to be done perfectly for me....My reloads suffer some because of that too, I think I am now around a 3.5sec reload. Both the draw and reload are from concealment too, not open. I hope that gives me a bit of an "alibi" or "Mulligan" or excuses to keep some of the "Tacticool Folks" away from being too critical and commenting.

(P.S. There was an error on the sheet that I have now corrected too.)
    Here are the times from my P365 X MACRO TACOPS:
    View attachment 268405

Here are the times from my P320 Compact:
    View attachment 268407
    I'm not familiar with your drills. May I ask a couple of questions? 1. What distance(s) are the targets? 2. What are the targets? 3. This might sound stupid, but are the reholsterings a part of the time limits?

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    The “targets” are modified by me. If you look in the first post, you will see one. The painted areas are the head and body “A” zones from an IPSC target.
    Distance is 7 yards.
    Reholstering isn’t usually timed in any drill I have ever done. Something’s you don’t want to rush! Lol
    I will post a picture of the target in a bit. My phone is updating right now! Lol

The drills are from pistol-training.com.
    A LOT of trainers have used these drills for a long time.
    They can be found on the website above under the “range work” tab.

Lots of cool stuff there.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    @BE Mike
    The “traditional” Dot Torture is shot from 3 yards and must be shot 100% before moving back further. The dots measure 2” in diameter. And, there is no time limits. I know it sounds easy but me and others have cleared it at distances up to 7 yards only to fail them at 3. Lol
    Here is a “regular” Dot Torture target.

Attachments

• IMG_9057.jpeg
      IMG_9057.jpeg
      736.3 KB · Views: 8

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    So, switched up some optics. Put circle dot reticle ones on 3 of the 4 pistols. Had to switch some off of my other pistols. Back at the range and all sighted in now.
    So far (one month) so good! Haha

No malfunctions at all.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    So…I walked by the safe today and thought I heard my P80’s screaming my name. Is that possible? Lol
    Yes. I think, for me anyways, it's my "lower" brain trying to convince me to get back into stuff I've rationalized away in my "high" brain. I think we all do this as humans as a crutch as it's easier to revert back to something simple as opposed to occupying your mind/time with learning/doing new things which require effort. I'm trying to consume less entertainment and write more and my smooth-brain thinking wants me to just watch some heavily promoted *****y show. Full disclosure, I'm trying to do what you are doing, but with M&P.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Yes. I think, for me anyways, it's my "lower" brain trying to convince me to get back into stuff I've rationalized away in my "high" brain. I think we all do this as humans as a crutch as it's easier to revert back to something simple as opposed to occupying your mind/time with learning/doing new things which require effort. I'm trying to consume less entertainment and write more and my smooth-brain thinking wants me to just watch some heavily promoted *****y show. Full disclosure, I'm trying to do what you are doing, but with M&P.
    The struggle is real. Lol

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Nothing wrong to committing to one platform. The platform will be automatic second nature and you will be able to do every aspect of operating it (except aim) blindfolded. I've mostly carried the same 1911 for over 20 years. This was bought new in 2000 and I'm proud of every wear mark and my hip bone probably aged around it. Couldn't imagine how many draws from the holster it has had along with mag changes dry firing at home or shooting at the range and it feels very comfortable to me. I treated her to new G10 grips last week and the gray better matches it's patina.

thumbnail (54).jpg

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Nothing wrong to committing to one platform. The platform will be automatic second nature and you will be able to do every aspect of operating it (except aim) blindfolded. I've mostly carried the same 1911 for over 20 years. This was bought new in 2000 and I'm proud of every wear mark and my hip bone probably aged around it. Couldn't imagine how many draws from the holster it has had along with mag changes dry firing at home or shooting at the range and it feels very comfortable to me. I treated her to new G10 grips last week and the gray better matches it's patina.

View attachment 273028
    I suppose if a 1911 is all I had, I'd carry it too! lol
    The 45AARP!

Top Bottom