• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I just picked up this used 228 from my local Cabelas. I have no information on it. The hammer does not hold back when trying to use it in single action. There is no decoding lever. What do I have here? Pistol is made in Germany. Magazine made in Germany and is marked "law enforcement use only". Is this damaged, or is this double action only? Any other cool info? Thank you! 20221214_214222.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Yep DAK strikes again, looks like $200 for the conversion. If you decide to do the work i would also reccomend looking into putting in the short reset trigger as well. Might also wane to remove those grips and give the gun a good scrub down, there looks like rust on the screws , never a good sign IMHO

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    That sure looks like a DAO to me. The DAK hammer would be different- yes/no?

It is a duo-tone though. Did you get a good deal on it?

:ingo:
    I did get a good deal on it. I could get the conversion and may still be money ahead on it. Probably will do the conversion and upgrade the grips and would have a really nice shooter.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nice find. The duo-tone guns are not too common. While doing the conversion, you can upgrade the trigger, strut and springs to end up with really nice shooter. My preference for sights are the Night Fision. They often run 30% off sales which makes for inexpensive but quality sights.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Anyone know how to tell if this is a DAK or DAO setup? Apparently there are differing needs for the conversion. I also want to be sure I do not have to cutout the frame before I go down this rabbit hole. Are there any variations where the frame needs to be cut or notched for the decoking lever?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Looks like a standard DAO to me, not a DAK. Most factory DAK guns had a bobbed hammer.

They way to tell is that the DAK has two reset points, while the DAO only has one. With an empty gun, pull the trigger and hold it to the rear. Cycle the slide, then slowly let the trigger out. Of there is a reset point before the trigger returns to its fully-forward position, then another at fully-forward, it's a DAK. If it's only got the one rest point at the fully-forward position, it's a DAO.

Either way, I'm jealous. I've been hunting an affordable P228 for years!

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Looks like a standard DAO to me, not a DAK. Most factory DAK guns had a bobbed hammer.

They way to tell is that the DAK has two reset points, while the DAO only has one. With an empty gun, pull the trigger and hold it to the rear. Cycle the slide, then slowly let the trigger out. Of there is a reset point before the trigger returns to its fully-forward position, then another at fully-forward, it's a DAK. If it's only got the one rest point at the fully-forward position, it's a DAO.

Either way, I'm jealous. I've been hunting an affordable P228 for years!
    Thanks! I will check it out tonight. I was planning on getting something more fun to shoot than my 365, but pistols are not really my thing. I am more of a hunting person-I don't really know what is a good deal and what is not. I knew this style of sig was desirable, but out of my price range. This popped up for a song so I grabbed it.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Doh! Yeah, forgot about the hammer differences on the DAK. Either way, glad you got a good deal, @Judamonster! I’ve wanted a P228 for years and really dig the two-tone models. Hope she’s a shooter!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    P Series double-acting triggers are excellent, especially the older ones like yours. The good news is, if it is indeed DAO and not DAK, and you want to convert it to DA/SA, I believe all you need is the DA/SA hammer and the decocker assembly. It's less involved to convert a DAO gun than a DAK.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I’m late but you have a DAO NOT a DAK the DAK has a bobbed hammer and once you cycle the slide (like when you would load) the DAK trigger is lighter than the DAO version SIg

DAO versions of Sig P series were not nearly as plentiful as the DAK versions as several agencies were issued the DAK. NYPD with the 226 DAO back I. The day were the biggest purchasers of Sig DAO.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I got the parts in. Could not find a nickel decocking lever, so I went with black until I find one. Installed a short reset trigger wile I was in there. I cannot wait for better weather to try this out. The action is so much better for me. It was all a really simple swap. I appreciate everyone's input. FYI, 18 round magazine, SRT kit, and parts for the SA/ DA conversion were $170 to my door.

Attachments

• 20221223_172245.jpg
      20221223_172245.jpg
      518.8 KB · Views: 14
    Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.