• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    We recently moved to a home with a wood stove, and I have a bunch of ash saved in a barrel. I was going to use it on the driveway when it gets icy, but the wife says no because it will get tracked into the house. So, I'm wondering if I could possibly use the ash in a clearing barrel, instead of sand, if I sift it so that only fine ash is in the barrel. Any thoughts?

Edited: tested in 30 gallon trash can 3/4 full of sifted ash. It barely stopped a Hornady critical defense (which didn't even expand) but it did not stop 115 gr. FMJ. Both tests were with 9mm.

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Got an access to an outdoor range? Fill a 5 gal bucket with some , seal the top with a lid and shoot it....

I'll bet it's not dense enough for use as a clearing barrel.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I think you would be better off using sand. A 5 gallon bucket full of sand around here costs $0.50, not including the bucket.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ash is in no way dense enough. Use sand. Water in a pinch, but keep in mind not only is there a mess, but water is a hydraulic medium, the possibility of splitting the bucket is always there. If you really need something indoors that only exists in the remote chance you did not properly unload then a box of books or magazines works fine.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I burn wood to heat my house (furnace only runs enough to check that it works), and I have a big pile of ashes out back.

I spread it on the garden and mix it in with the compost. Next spring I thought about sifting it into the fertilizer spreader and putting some on the lawn.

Top Bottom