• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ellis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Corydon
    So I was at home today watching tv and all of a sudden I hear a loud thud outside.
    I look outside and see our very old tv antenna draped over the hood of my mothers car.
    The pole it was attached to was rusted and the wind we had today gave its final heave-ho
    to the antenna. It gave her car a few good scratches, but, in the process broke off the driver
    side mirror on my truck (which was parked right next to it) no other damage was done.

So my question is would I be able to drive it until I get it fixed without fear of a ticket?
    I still have the rear veiw and passenger side mirror. The only thing I found on IC is that veiw
    cannot be obstructed for 200 ft rearward, which I could see in rear veiw mirror and looking over
    my left shoulder.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    You're fine to drive it. Legally you only need one mirror that has a view 200-500(?) feet to the rear.

I don't remember the specific IC, but I found it when I first got my Jeep.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Have you ever driven through Indy? It seems like there are more cars missing mirrors than there are cars with both.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    205389612037f7edbd868430285a5d94_zps6dbb90ff.jpg

Ellis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Corydon
    One more question. IF I wanted to go through insurance to get this fixed, would I want to file through home insurance ( isn't a vehicle an extension of the home or is that only renter insurance?) Or through car insurance?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Based on how the damage occurred it sounds like a homeowners claim, since you weren't driving. But they might claim you didn't maintain the pole, therefore your problem.

The other question is, is the damage costly enough that it's more than your deductible? I don't know what your deductible is, but my guess is you'll probably have to pay out of pocket.

Ellis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Corydon
    I doubt it would be more than $50 to replace, pop a few trim panels off, loosen three nuts and replace . Just a thought, thanks mcgrease08 for the input.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I doubt it would be more than $50 to replace, pop a few trim panels off, loosen three nuts and replace . Just a thought, thanks mcgrease08 for the input.
    You say that now... if you take it to a shop it will run way more than that.

Submit to homeowners insurance first, if they deny, submit to auto on your comprehensive insurance.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    What type of truck/year. Chances are it's cheaper to fix yourself. Typical 1500 mirror runs 15-35 dollars. More money if it is a stupid electrical etc.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    IANAL but:IC 9-19-12-1
    Safety requirements
    Sec. 1. A motor vehicle that is constructed or loaded so as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear from the driver's position must be equipped with a mirror located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred (200) feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I always just went to the junkyard and got a mirror, put it on myself. It's not hard. No involvement (raising of rates) with insurance. Funny story, I used to have people park in my assigned spot, and I'd hit the HR chick up about it. Once, I'd gotten a mirror for my wife's car and had it in the office. The HR chick walked past and I said "HEY". She came back. I told her someone had poached my parking space, but I'd taken care of it (holding up the mirror). You should have seen the look on her face.

cl4p-tp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Kokomo
    Older chevy 1500 mirrors are cake. Should just need a 10mm socket and a short extension, mirror itself should be cheap. No need to involve insurance IMO

Top Bottom