• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    SHTF Victory Garden

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SHTF Victory Garden[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Click on the picture to enlarge[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Open up a can, when the SHTF.

Stock-up for the future with these 16 jumbo-size, easy to grow garden vegetables. These special open pollinated 100% non-hybrid seed selections are packed in exclusive E-Z Lock resealable bags, with triple-layered foil packets for extra protection.

Precisely-dried for storage up to 4 years.Complete with 8-page "Gardening-Made-Easy" instructional guide.

Each sealed & date-stamped can contains:
    SWEET CORN. Golden Bantam. 5 oz.
    ONION. Utah Sweet Spanish. 10 g.
    SPINACH. Bloomsdale Long Standing. 10 g.
    WINTER SQUASH. Waltham Butternut. 10 g.
    SQUASH ZUCCHINI. Black Beauty. 10 g.
    RADISH. Champion. 10 g.
    TOMATO. Rutgers. 5 g.
    SWISS CHARD. Lucullus. 10 g.
    PEA. Lincoln. 10 oz.
    BEET. Detroit Dark Red. 10 g.
    CABBAGE. Golden Acre. 10 g.
    LETTUCE. Barcarolle Romaine. 5 g.
    CUCUMBER. Marketmore 76. 10 g.
    CARROT. Scarlet Nantes. 10 g.
    PEPPER. Yolo Wonder. 5 g.
    POLE BEAN. Blue Lake. 5 oz.

Totals: 659 grams of Open Pollinated Non-hybrid Vegetable Seed.

P9220662.JPG

I thought this was a neat idea... Found this on LaRue Tactical website, not sure if it's available anywhere else...
    [/FONT]

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Most "preparedness" stores sell Garden-In-A-Can very much like this one you found.
    Two of the onlline sources I like are Emergency Essentials (Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage) and the Nitro-Pak store (Nitro-Pak.com The World Leader in Innovative & Affordable Preparedness Gear). They are very nice for long-term gardening concerns. Unfortunatelly, you cannot pick the varieties that they include.

Although they use open-pollinated varieties (not hybrids), not all varieties are good in all areas of the country. But I suspect they do their best to pick generally hardy species.

Don't forget, you will still need to keep the can in a cool, dry environment for the seeds to stay viable. If they are subjected to temp swings (like being stored in the barn or something), the seeds will lose viability with time. (trust me on that one!!!)

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Although they use open-pollinated varieties (not hybrids), not all varieties are good in all areas of the country. But I suspect they do their best to pick generally hardy species.
    I can confirm that all of the varieties listed grow well in Indiana. A couple items to mention though. Golden Bantam is a hardy early small ear corn IIRC. The problem with most non-hybrid early corns? They don't have that sweetness that we expect in our sweet corn. So it may be great for SHTF when you only care about getting by. But for right now? The wife won't like it.

Carrots I believe are biennial plants. So you have to leave them out all winter, cover them good to protect them and let them go to seed the second year. So you will not have eating carrots that second year if you didn't save seeds to plant that year.

We aren't beet eaters and I don't think any SHTF would make us ones. Can't imagine not having turnips on the list or pole beans. But cool idea.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Thats a darn good idea, and clever marketing. Ive been doing that for a while, its a lot easier than actually buying a long term food supply (not to mention tastes better, LOL).

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I like the SHTF Hello Kittie bag! How much was the can on the website? I've always wondered about Victory Gardens really working in a SHTF scenario. Some lowlife will probably steal your fruits and veggies while you're off bartering for something.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I like the SHTF Hello Kittie bag! How much was the can on the website? I've always wondered about Victory Gardens really working in a SHTF scenario. Some lowlife will probably steal your fruits and veggies while you're off bartering for something.

That's why you are going to have to ban together in such a situation.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So how long would the seeds be viable stored in this fashion?

I can usually get 2 or 3 years out of a package of opened seeds (so long as I keep them sealed up in my seed can) but for each season that passes fewer and fewer of the seeds will germinate.

So since they do that science mojo stuff on theirs they might have extended the shelf-life a bit but that's generally a truism regardless of how their packaged, I mean they are "life" after all even if they are in a sort of suspended animation.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    The Emergency Essentials catalog I just got yesterday *suggests* rotating the Canned Garden seeds EVERY 4 YEARS.

I would agree with the 2-3 year non-canned seed life-length too.

Last edited:

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    interesting. in addition to the canned seeds, having some "wild" potato plants growing in your area would be helpful.

I wonder if the pamphlet has instructions on the best ways to take seeds from the crops and preserve those fresh seeds for the following year.

also, no one has commented on the EMP resistance of the canned seed "system". :D

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    If you have a permanent SHTF, remember you don't want to plant all of your seed in one year in case you have crop failure one year. If they believe the seeds will last 3 years, you should have 3 years worth and rotate them.

Top Bottom