• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Back during last years colder part of the football tailgating season we tried a powered soup made by Shore Lunch that also contains dehydrated potatoes.

So since everyone does not want my chili every week:D, I picked up a bag of this at Gordon's Food Service and threw it and a gallon of water in the SUV to take down.

We arrived a little later than normal so our food prep was rushed. Our problem, it needed a good 20+ minutes to cook right, we rushed it and well, it did'nt go over real great.

Lately I've been hankering for some potato soup and while in Menard's Sunday, I picked up a bag and retried it out today.

PDLSvxAMQ5E5vmnReuIB8hj4g2dAoKo1qaEZzqe3-2OJN6vNuUUdLZJqEF5NZFuiGTAFVpwEfjSVgd5J1IgOBZV1KSgsF7C0bKbou7tG7cTpxcXTE-3ajuYaidlp_RFfj6ebDmvOJcg

Right off the bat, (since I did not prepare this last fall) I noticed that this was thicker than last fall, and came to the conclusion that one of our members might have guesstimated on how much water to use and used WAY too much.

One of the things that I also noticed was while it had a decent amount of potato's in it last time, I wanted more. So I had bought a can of Miejer sliced potatoes to help supplement it, chopped them up and threw it in.

After about 25 minutes of cooking (recommended time was at least 20) and checking to make sure the hydrated potato's was re-hydrated, it was time to sample it.

Threw in a little Hormel bacon bits, some crackers and had me a very hearty tasting soup.

In a situation where space is a premium, prep is limited and not a lot of attention is needed, this product gets a :yesway:'s up by me.

Also to note, this has a nice thickness and content to it, so you won't have a empty stomach feeling a tad later.

Pro's
    Shelf life - 12 plus month
    Ease to make - simple
    Taste - Great for a dehydrated powered soup
    Price - 3.99 from Menard's
    Would be good even without adding extra potato's

Con's
    Say's it has 8 servings, but who eats only 1 - 8 ounce cup?
    My recommended servings is 4, 2 cups apiece.
    Need at least a 6 quart pot to make, something that a lot of people may not have when SHTF and you're bugged out.

Top Bottom