• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm curious and thought I'd start a thread to get your input.

If you were going to focus on one platform if SHTF, which would you focus and build on and why, shotgun or AR?

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    AR as it is more versatile and you can have numerous calibers for it. That's saying something for me too as I love my shotguns more than anything.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Again, you need to define your own personal idea of "SHTF". I keep a shotgun as my home defense artillery piece, but would choose an AR for general purpose use.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm thinking for a SHTF situation where I was hunkering down in the house and riding something out I would take the 12 gauge shotgun. Great for home defense and can still reach out to protect if necessary.

If I were traveling somewhere I think the AR would probably be a safer bet as it offers higher capacity and the longer range would be a great benefit.

Just my :twocents:.

:popcorn:

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Have to go with the 12 Gauge auto loader with staggered 00 and 3 inch slugs. That's 9 .32 caliber balls followed by a wrecking ball every time I double tap the trigger. :ar15:

1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    Though it would be tough on the walls:draw: I prefer a shotgun for home. If I needed to fight my way back home ( think L.A. riots) I would prefer a rifle, and 8-10 high cap mags.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    AR as it is more versatile and you can have numerous calibers for it.

And a 12 gauge shotgun can have everything from rock salt to a saboted slug. Without needing to trade out barrels and magazines. I think utility-wise a shotgun beats the AR hands down.

SHTF, I plan on staying put, I've got 4 handguns, 2 shotguns, and 2 rifles, so just pass me the next one, and reload the empty one. Traveling home, I've got handguns, and a 2 ton weapon for that.

Best bet in any case is to avoid a fire-fight.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My thoughts for SHTF weapons have been "City-Shotgun", "Country-Rifle"...

Here is a man who has put a bit of thought into this.

If rifles are a bad idea for home/self-defense purposes in heavily populated area prior to a SHTF why on Gods green earth would anyone think they would be a good idea for home/self-defense in a heavily populated area post-SHTF?

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're talking about a situation where everything has gone really, terribly awry, you have to think about availability of ammo. While assault rifle calibers are relatively common, they're nothing compared to the commonality of 12 gauge shotgun ammo. And as Keith pointed out, you can load a shotgun with a wide range of different shells. Good look finding a AR round that has spread. Or a non-lethal round.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    A shotgun is also going to be better to shoot most game in our state, geese, ducks, squirrels, rabbits etc.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I can see where a shotgun has so many uses as well. Great for defense or house to house. Slugs for reaching out and touching someone or a deer for meat.

Or maybe I just want a cool shotty:D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Clearly it depends on the type of zombies you're dealing with. If they're numerous and slow-moving, as in Dawn of the Dead, I think the AR is the better choice. If they move at high speed, I think the shotgun would decrease your margin of error. If they're fast and numerous...only the claymore mine will do. Remember: Front Toward Enemy

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Ideally I'd be able to carry both, or I'd be with other survivors. But my zombie gun will always be a shotgun.

Top Bottom