• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    It seems that this forum has hit the summer doldrums so I will attempt to liven it up.
    Since life works something like this: you prepare > things happen > you react > consequences, I propose to descripe a situation, and let others comment on their reactions. I will choose one of the reactions, and then describe the consequences and the new situation it created. So I am thinking that there could be three or four iterations before this concludes. So watch this thread for thenext week as there will be several "installments".

Installment #1
    After the collapse of 2008/2009, you and your best friend decided to move away from the city and pooled your resources and purchaes a small farm in S. IN. Your family moved into the old farm house, your buddy pulled in a decent house trailer. For the last few years you have committed all your resources to gardens, livestock, security, etc. Then the S really HTF in 2014 with the dollar and overall economic collapse. Twelve months into it, you have heard of mass starvation in the cities and violence even in the rural areas. Only recently has your remote location started to see different activity: people have begun to show up at your secure, manned front gate asking for food and shelter. You gathered your community (two families) together and developed your plan as to how to deal with people when they show up. So today, a scruffy stranger shows up. He is carrying a backpack and has a single shot 12ga slung. He is asking for food, but says he wouldn't mind a place to sleep, and that he has construction skills and could "pay for his keep" by working on the farm.

NOW WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THIS GUY?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Scruffy looking means nothing to me.Is he fit,could he work,how is his health,teeth,does he come off as creepy or friendly,what can he tell me about his journey to my property,what kind of construction work,is he respectful,how has he survived up to now,what is in his backpack(and will he empty it right now),where is he going,is he willing to share what he has seen,is he alert and observant,has he noticed I am not the only one watching him,how does he move,does he have a temper or is he laid back when questioned,how is he responding to questions,does his body language suggest he is lying or being honest,where does he stand on what is going on in the government,how long does he want to stay,what time of year is it,do we need the extra help,what impression do others in my group have about him?
    If we need him he may get food,but he is not getting in the gate without answering questions and giving me much more information.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I would certainly be willing to trade some food for a sitrep of the areas he has ben travelling. At no point would he be allowed to scope out our operation. He could be a loner, or a scout for a larger group. I would probably send my father in law out with a couple days food. That man can talk someone to death, and get a lot of information from someone. I have enough extended family that would make it to a retreat, so there would be no need of additional skilled labor.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    The replies were few but helpful. It is hard to read a book by the cover, some scruffy people are as honest as the day is long, other well dressed people would kill you and rob you blind. Help me finish this scenario:

Installment #2
    Based on the plan the community developed and agreed to, they would use an interview process to learn from and about people that showed up asking for something. So without revealing that there was a rifleman on "overwatch", you cautiously walked up to the scruffy guy at the gate. "Who are you and what do you want?" you inquired. "My name is Joe Jackson, and I live 3 miles down the road in that small cabin by the creek. I don't have any family around here. I have been getting by until lately when I ran out of canned food and deer meat. I'd be glad to trade work for any food you could give me. I can do construction, plumbing or electrical work." You remembered seeing the dirt road leading down to the cabin he described. The cabin always looked ram-shackled. "We don't really have any work that needs done right now, but here are some canned goods to help a neighbor out. We don't have much ourselves, but we want to be neighborly. Have you talked to any other neighbors, how are they getting along?" The stranger replied, "The ones I talked to seemed to be at the end of their food and fuel like me. And the old Smith couple killed themselves, and their house was looted. There is nothing wrong with helping yourself to a dead guys stuff". After considering what he'd told me, how he was acting and after giving him the canned goods, I'd decided to ....

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That last twist opens some doors one may not want to walk through. The dead are no longer in need of their worldly possessions, and one's perspective on conventional standards of civility can very likely change when it becomes an issue of surviving or not, but you seemed to convey an awfully cavalier attitude about the matter that gives me pause. I would probably give him some grub and send him down the road.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Key to me and mine, asking the guy if he burried the dead?

How did you not know about everyone living within walking distance of your compound?

Anyone without a plan to take care of themselves becomes a risk to everyone if you ask me..

TJ

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    And the old Smith couple killed themselves, and their house was looted.
    Or were they killed by 'Joe' for their stuff?

If 'Joe' is so handy, why did his place look so ramshackle?

A lot more to ask and get answered before any info is given out.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I would say that your approach and or gate guard needs to look somewhat shabby. as a rule. Said guard should fire off a million questions to traveler. I would not offer food. I would ask for it. Absolutely not allow him on site. Then any further responses and actions would be gauged from him. IF it is felt that guard is comfortable with him. he must wait while guard conferrers with group.

But the group should have discussed this scinereo in advance so they are prepared. And yes you should know your neighbors.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    This scenario has been explored in fiction (Lights Out, One Second After). It seemed to be played out on the needs of the compound. Doctors, mechanical people, welder; the need allowed an addition to the group. Conversely, Ranger wannabe's and those with ill intent were shoo'ed away or eventually eliminated when they attacked. Any good intel op can discover quite a bit about a compound in short order. It is hard to keep concealed unless you were bunkered underground. Any person just coming up, most likely would not be a threat outright. They would be either seeking food or help probably. They may be curious but unless it is an assault at 0300hrs, you could converse with them and ascertain what it was they wanted.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Installment #3
    ... I decided to tell Joe that we didn't need any help right now, but here is a couple of cans of food, and good luck. The next day another person started up the long driveway. It was a 20-something female, with arms and legs bare, and several tattoos. She was quite pretty, but more than a little dirty. So I interviewed her like we'd agreed. She explained she had lived with her boy friend in a nearby small town, but he'd left and never returned. She ran out of food and took to wandering to find food or her boyfriend. she had had to run and evade men that had chased her. She said it just wasn't safe for a youg women in a world without law enforcement. You felt that a woman was less threat than a man, and didn't want to leave her out where she could be "compromised". So you said she could stay overnight while you figured out a longer term plan.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    First thing, stay overnight as in under guard. Not necessarily in the sense of being locked in a cell but nevertheless not permitted the opportunity to wander about unsupervised. On one hand, the story is plausible. On the other hand, not all of the seemingly helpless and alone are either, but men are always men, and the BGs know this. It would also do to post extra perimeter guards as well for the duration of this guest's visit, and whatever we do, don't let her see anything sensitive including but limited to getting a good head count or a feel for the quality and quantity of armaments and supplies on hand.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    First thing, stay overnight as in under guard. Not necessarily in the sense of being locked in a cell but nevertheless not permitted the opportunity to wander about unsupervised. On one hand, the story is plausible. On the other hand, not all of the seemingly helpless and alone are either, but men are always men, and the BGs know this. It would also do to post extra perimeter guards as well for the duration of this guest's visit, and whatever we do, don't let her see anything sensitive including but limited to getting a good head count or a feel for the quality and quantity of armaments and supplies on hand.

That is what i was figuring. A bad guy or group could use the damsel in distress for the reason of trying to gain info or to see if they can get their way in. Maybe she is a trained mma fighter and as soon as she "comes onto a guy" she decides to break his neck and signal the group or something. I agree about not under guard, but definitely watched.

Top Bottom