• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Hey all,

As winter begins to rear it's ugly head, I have been thinking about obtaining a shoulder holster, but know nothing about them. I really don't want to spend a lot of $$ but would like to know which ones you guys use and why.

I have been looking at the following ones:

Military Horizontal: ($22.00 + Shipping)
    ush-lge1.jpg

Blackhawk Serpa Shoulder Holster ($43.00)
    policestuff_2029_568725095

DeSantis Patriot Shoulder Rig (78.00 + Shipping)
    desantisholster_2029_8406025

So what do you look for in a shoulder holster? What do you use? What do you think of the three above??

Thanks in advance.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    They may conceal a little better, however, I have found that they arent really good in drawing. A good IWB holster is comfortable if designed correctly. The shoulder holster is comfortable, but I have seen huge disadvantages to using one.

Incidentally, that Serpa one looks great, especially if the holster has that retention lock. Most of the shoulder holsters I have used/seen have the strap and button, which wears out quicker than one thinks (weight constantly on it and bearing hard on the button). The Blackhawk retention lock seems to hold the gun secure without wearing out or releasing the gun if I bend over.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm not a big fan of shoulder holsters, and I wore one every day for years. The gun always flops around some and your shoulders will get tired of carrying the load. My advice is to stick with a top maker. Make sure that the straps are wide where they carry the load on top of the shoulders. Make sure that the gun is held in place securely (don't ask me how I know this). The rig needs to be lightweight. If you sweat a lot like me, you need to make sure that it is made out of a material that doesn't hold moisture. Leather is bad about that. For what a good shoulder holster costs, you can buy a few top notch hip holsters.

The only thing I like a shoulder holster for is for hunting. Ankle holsters and leg holsters...don't even go there!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    First let me state I am not a fan of shoulder holsters.

However I do own a Serpa and it is changing my mind on the shoulder holster as a viable option. I have been using it for off and on over a year in either my civilian rig carrying a Sig 226, and in my duty rig carrying my M-9. Performs well, and most importantly it FIRMLY secures the pistol in the holster. I have seen people use the $22 version pictured and I would highly recommend staying away from it just based on the troubles I seen Them having with them.

My 2 cents.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I use a Galco Miami Classic for winter and while driving to work and find that they work very well for me for those purposes. Unless that is all you do all day they are not an everyday carry solution. You get what you pay for and there might be times where your shoulder holster will be seen by others. If your list of systems you are willing to buy includes the DeSantis for 80 bucks then head on over to Cheaper Than Dirt and get either the Miami Classic or the Jackass from Galco for 140 or 120 bucks respectively. They look professional and don't make people nervous or give others the perception that you are some kind of militia member. The Galco stuff is also very comfortable, durable, and versatile. YMMV, JMHO, rinse and repeat.

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    I'll agree with elaw555, while they are much more expensive, a higher quality shoulder holster (and Galco certainly knows their business) will look, work and feel much better than the $22 version. Low-grade nylon isn't the friendliest material to have rubbing against you for the better part of a day. :twocents:

Top Bottom