• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Everyone should have a Mosin. I have a 1945 Russian M44 from the Izhevsk Arsenal and it is one of the most fun guns in my collection. And it's cheap as hell to shoot! Do yourself a favor and get a Mosin variant of some sort. For starting at less than a hundred dollars how can you say no???

runavw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Check out my avatar! i found the best way to get the cosmoline off, thats not too labor intensive is using a hair dryer. it pulls that cosmoline right out. sweetest weapon on my arsenal. Mine is a 1938 hex reciever. some of the marks on the stock are interesting to look and. It definatly saw action in the war. When I first took it apart, it looked like shrapnal was embedded in the stock. probably not, but it looked cool. Now after we bought the two Mosins we heard what sounded like boot steps for a few nights...you can take that for what its worth.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    When I first bought mine all I did was clean the barrel and then shoot it a million times! I didn't bother with cleaning the crap off the outside. It shot like a champ!

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I will add another resounding yes to this thread. The look on people's face when you bring out a 5 1/2 foot long weapon with a bayonet is hilarious, it's worth that alone. While out at the range last time there was a guy there that had the most tricked out AR I have seen and all he could do was look at my old ass Mosin, when I asked if he wanted to fire it he squealed almost and ran for the bench. Much laughter ensued and I like to think that I converted someone that day.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Haunted Mosin?!?! AWESOME!!!

One time there was a leak in our house and I had taped the barrel and action shut to keep water out. We ALL went to church no one was home, and when I came back I checked on it and was cleaned, oiled and the tape was off

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    One time there was a leak in our house and I had taped the barrel and action shut to keep water out. We ALL went to church no one was home, and when I came back I checked on it and was cleaned, oiled and the tape was off

If I can find one that is haunted by a ghost willing to clean it for me, I'm sold.

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    I just got back from Midwest. I hovered over the crates of the Mosins for a good 15 minutes. I asked one of the sales associates if he minded if I took out the bolt and shined my flashlight up the barrel to check it out and he said that was fine. After standing around with nobody helping me, my shirt and hands now marinated in cosmoline, I walked out. I get that the gun is only 100 bucks and it's not a big sell, but come on. Maybe if I go during the week it will be better. I doubt this price is going anywhere, they've got a crate and a half of them. Or maybe I'll track down their biggest competitor and go buy from them.

Last edited:

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I'd get a 10/22 AND the Mosin, if possible. I have a couple 10/22's & no Mosin (yet). No local range to shoot centerfire rifles, so the 22 makes more sense for me. I don't even get to shoot my AR's & AK's much.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I took a break from studying today and went into Midwest Gun Exchange and looked around at some of the rifles. I have recently become nostalgic about my rifles from my childhood (which I no longer have). I spent a lot of time out in the woods with my .22 and my .30-30. I went into Midwest to look for a cheap .22 rifle that I could go out and shoot. I think I've come to the conclusion that if I go that route, I should buy a Ruger 10/22 or possibly a Winchester 190 or 290 (which is what I had as a kid).

At any rate, I saw that Midwest has boxes of Mosin Nagants (with bayonets, cleaning kits, etc) for $109. I've read a lot about these things and it seems like loads of people own them. The ammo seems pretty cheap (though not as cheap as the .22). So, as my title says: should I buy one of these instead of a .22? If you own one, can you imagine yourself using it for anything other than a range/hunting gun? If I'm just looking for a plinker, should I just buy a 10/22 or some other incarnation of the .22?
    I have two 10/22's and one Mosin Model 91/30 with the laminated stock - I love all of them. I can get about 2.5" groups, from the bench, out of my Mosin at 100 yards and around .75" groups at fifty with the Ruger. That may not be Camp Perry quality, but it is survival quality. To me that is what is most important. I would get one of each rifle if I were you, you will use them the rest of your life - well invested money.:twocents:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Once you buy one, you will want another, then you'll start seeking out hex receivers, then you'll need to find as many M44s as you can get, then M38s, then you'll want a C+R FFL, so you can buy the $69 ones off the internet, then......well, you get the picture. Don't ask me how I know.:whistle:

My wife gives me the meanest looks everytime the UPS truck comes down the road.:):

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I just got back from Midwest. I hovered over the crates of the Mosins for a good 15 minutes. I asked one of the sales associates if he minded if I took out the bolt and shined my flashlight up the barrel to check it out and he said that was fine. He told me I didn't need to worry about it because the guns in those crates were never fired. The one I looked at was made in 1938, so I find that pretty unlikely. After standing around with nobody helping me, my shirt and hands now marinated in cosmoline, I walked out. I get that the gun is only 100 bucks and it's not a big sell, but come on. Maybe if I go during the week it will be better. I doubt this price is going anywhere, they've got a crate and a half of them. Or maybe I'll track down their biggest competitor and go buy from them.

Don't let bad customer service keep you from buying an awesome rifle. If I were you I'd go back, dig through the crate for as long as it takes to find the rifle you want, and take it to the counter and buy it. No need for help from anyone. It is your rifle after all. Then go shooting and report back here and tell us how much fun you had with your new boom stick!

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    Just plain old plinking the ruger 10/22 cant be beat I have one and love it. But for history and nostalgia the mosins are the bomb. For the price and inexpensive ammo. Im thinking of one for a long range bolt rifle which I dont have in my collection yet. The mosin carbine also loooks appealing for the bolt gun and its compactness.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    There are three pages of answers and honestly I am not going to read them. My answer yo you is just yes, you should get one. I have an m44 and love it. I also have a little 22. I say get the mosin and some ammo, then get the 22 after a little research.

Top Bottom