Should Have Been a DGU? Road Rage Incident, McDonalds Drive Through, Bedford, IN

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Searched, but didn't find anything already posted.

Should have been a defensive gun use?

https://www.wthr.com/article/marine-corps-veteran-killed-in-shooting-outside-bedford-mcdonalds

The victim, 25-year-old Justin Lampkins, was in his truck with friends, three vehicles back at the drive-through.

Suspect Evan Schaffer was in the first truck. When cars weren't moving up to the window, "a horn was sounded. The accused got out of the first pick up truck and went back to the third truck which the victim was in and engaged and battered the victim. Punched him," according to Bedford assistant police chief Joe DeWees.

Police say it's not clear who honked the horn.

They say Shafer then walked away from the former Marine he'd just allegedly punched. They say friends tried to calm the suspect down but he went back to Justin's truck.

"The victim shoved the accused back, the accused then presented a handgun," said DeWees.

Police say Schaffer fired, fatally wounding the former Marine in the chest.

What are the odds that Mr. Hothead wasn't a "proper person"? (At the very least, how drunk/high do you have to be to road rage enough in a freaking drive-through line, that you would shoot someone for honking a horn?)

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I always leave a car length or so in front of me at a drive through just for this reason. If something happens, I do not want to be blocked in. About half of the time the cars behind me blow their horn and motion for me to pull up.

I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone is in such a big hurry these days.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I always leave a car length or so in front of me at a drive through just for this reason. If something happens, I do not want to be blocked in. About half of the time the cars behind me blow their horn and motion for me to pull up.

I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone is in such a big hurry these days.

I always leave enough room so that I can see pavement between my car and the car in front of me. This allows me to get out of the lane if someone is going to rear end me and also provides a way out if I have to make a hasty get away.

My brother and I disagree on this. He thinks people should tighten up at intersection to allow more through the lights. I say leave room and when the light turns then tighten up going through and back off on the other side maintaining proper following distance.

Sad that a group of people are now without a loved one due to stuff like this. I'm not sure if the Marine was ever deployed but I find it particularly bad when a servicemen deploys into combat, comes back whole and then gets killed by some dirtbag at home.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Better solution: Avoid the drive through altogether. If you have to eat that crap, at least be on foot where you have better mobility and are away from the fray know as the drive through. Especially if half the time you're the subject of people's ire; you've already made yourself a target of rage.

PS - I blame the shooter's neck beard.

Last edited:

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I always leave enough room so that I can see pavement between my car and the car in front of me. This allows me to get out of the lane if someone is going to rear end me and also provides a way out if I have to make a hasty get away.

Yep, at stop lights everywhere. Then you have the people that get 2 inches off of your rear bumper.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    To close the loop on this one:

Evan Schaffer was found guilty of murder. Took about an hour and a half to return the verdict.

Top Bottom