• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    The big thing here is I survived! When you see the detils, you will see shat it was by God Good Grace, and skilled surgeons that I did.

May 9, 2012 I went home for lunch, to find my back door kicked in. Not thinking an intruder might still be in the house, I waltzed right in. Unarmed. My 'truck gun' still in my truck. Confronted the burgler in my dining room, and he pulled a handgun from his pants. A Glock 23 to be exact. How do I know? It was mine. I made the terrible mistake of leaving it out the night before on my armoire, and not in the safe as usual.
    The perp asked me to open my safe. (located in the basement) I responded to give me a minute so I could get the key. Obviously no key needed. He forcede me to lie on the floor, and shot me in the back from about 5-6 feet away. Then he calmly walked out the door.
    I was able to call 911, and direct the police into my home, and was rushed to Methodist Hospital, where I remained sedated for 23 days. The gunshot caused me to lose the bottom 1/3 of my left lung, and my spleen. It also nicked my pancreas and ruptured my diaphram. I am lucky to be here, I know.
    My reason to post this is to remind all of us about being careful with our guns, and about situational awareness. If you're going to respond about where I live, or other nonsense, save it. I've read it before. I want us to remember to be safe, and careful with our firearms. In todays culture, people look for any reason to go after our guns. Lets remember to secure our weapons when we aren't carrying them. Lets remember to be aware of our surroundings. When things don't seem right, guess what? They probably aren't!
    I hope you take my message to heart. I would'nt wish this to happen to anyone.

as a side note, because I know it will be asked, the P.O.S. shooter was sentanced to 50 years recently. My stolen gun was never recovered, but was replaced thanks to an e-mail alert from Bradis Guns back in August!

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Great advise!

Glad to hear you are doing so well B. Travis has kept me up to date. We were really worried you were not going to make it for little while there. Say hi to the gang at work for me maybe I will get by the shop this summer. :)

Last edited:

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    Forced to lay on the ground and then shot in the back for the hell of it? My God. Blessed are you to be alive indeed.

My biggest gun related fear is home invasion or armed robbery and I am left un-prepared. In that regard I will have to re-evaluate how I maintain preparedness comparative to the risk of my own weapons being used against me.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    Glad you survived, hope you get your life back to normal, and I truly hope everyone that reads this takes your advice to heart.

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Thanks for sharing. Thank the Lord you're still with us and able to remind us all to watch out for things that don't seem right.

bat54r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glad you're ok and thanks for posting. It's a good reminder to take nothing for granted and never assume anything. I hope things continue to go well and I hope your life gets back to or as close to back to normal as they were before this happened.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is why more laws are not going to save us. A thief is a thief is a thief....period. They do not want to be saved. There is no honer, morality or caring for life among them.
    SA always folks. No matter where you live. It just does not matter. My dad (rest his soul) had his door kicked in a few years ago and had to defend himself with the gun I gave him for that purpose. He lived in a very nice community where these things are not supposed to happen.
    OP, you are correct on all counts. Glad beyond measure you are still with us.

Top Bottom