• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    isn't center mass the preferred target because 1.) It's big and easy to hit 2.) Holds a lot of vital stuff 3.) Hydroshock does really nasty things to organs even if you don't hit them?

1 and 2, Yes, 3, not so much. Hydro-static shock has been discussed, and in many circles, accepted to be a myth in regards to the average handgun wound. The human body is very elastic, and can absorb a great deal before the temporary wound cavity would increase the probability for incapacitation. If you are looking to generate shock trauma to the human body, better to start carrying a 12 gauge with slugs, or a rifle.

The way I have always been taught, shoot until the threat is over, or the gun is empty. Center mass is the biggest target (typically) that will result in an incapacitation, though I have hear from reliable sources that even a shot gun loaded with buck can fail to drop some attackers in certain situations.
    All we can do is train for the most likely, and effective scenarios, and include a plan B,C&D, just in case the primary doesnt work.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've read people recommend trying for the femoral artery!

I would suggest those people have no idea what they are talking about. Even if you were a good enough shot under stress to hand place your area of impact, nothing guarantees a straight bullet path through the human body. Bullets can and do veer and deflect inside the human body.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Mayoob Assad recommends aiming for the crotch area.
    1-Psycological affect it has on a male.
    2-Vital bone structure that can take them down.

Aiming for the pelvic girdle is different then deliberately trying to hit the femoral artery. I can think of several reasons why a pelvic shot is desirable as a secondary area to shoot. This is assuming a person is using a gun/cartridge combination big enough to make a shot to this area effective.

Joe'Bronco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    NorCal (Dont hate)
    pistol calibers SUCK, period.

I call BS

First, in a HD situation i want the bullet to localize.
    I dont want that bullet leaving the target and endangering anyone else in the house or going thru the walls and hitting a neighbor.

I have shot a pig with a 270. It acted as if it was stung by a bee.
    A follow up shot from the .44 mag droped it like a hot potato.

Small pistol calibers suck... Yes
    .357, .44 and .45 will stop a man no matter where you hit them

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Whatever you carry......better make it count, or quickly call 911 while firing warning shots

Warning shots?? Don't listen to Joe Biden...

If you are not in fear of your life, you are not justified shooting...

If you ARE in fear of your life, you better be shooting for real.

Joe'Bronco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    NorCal (Dont hate)
    have you ever seen the devastation of a pistol caliber at close range? Ever seen someone shot with a .357? A .44mag? A .45?

You dont need professional training to know that a large caliber bullet will stop someone when you have seen it first hand. Will it kill them on contact? NO. But stoping someone and killing them are totally different subjects..

Last edited:

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    Warning shots?? Don't listen to Joe Biden...

If you are not in fear of your life, you are not justified shooting...

If you ARE in fear of your life, you better be shooting for real.

it was so obvious that I used sarcasm in my statement I really didn't think I had to use purple. I guess I have to go back and edit that post

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    have you ever seen the devastation of a pistol caliber at close range? Ever seen someone shot with a .357? A .44mag? A .45?

You dont need professional training to know that a large caliber bullet will stop someone when you have seen it first hand. Will it kill them on contact? NO. But stoping someone and killing them are totally different subjects..

Shot multiple times, including in the head with a .45ACP... lived.

[video=youtube_share;ArDRg5SkuT0]http://youtu.be/ArDRg5SkuT0[/video]

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ever seen someone shot with a .357? A .44mag? A .45?

Yes. No, but .44 special. Yes.

I've seen a through and through chest wound with a .357 where the person hit ran two blocks, called 911, and then walked out to meet the ambulance.
    I've seen the .45 catch a rib, ride around, and exit the back without ever penetrating anything vital.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yes. No, but .44 special. Yes.

I've seen a through and through chest wound with a .357 where the person hit ran two blocks, called 911, and then walked out to meet the ambulance.
    I've seen the .45 catch a rib, ride around, and exit the back without ever penetrating anything vital.

Please don't bring facts into this. It gives your argument an unfair advantage.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Mayoob Assad recommends aiming for the crotch area.
    1-Psycological affect it has on a male.
    2-Vital bone structure that can take them down.

I'm thinking the psychological affect of having a handgun pointed at you period is pretty up there.

I also keep hearing about this disruption of the pelvic girdle to drop someone. The issue is the pelvis is extremely hard bone, and the areas where it can be disrupted are tiny. Even getting a handgun bullet into the hip joint is no guarantee. If they are armored or something, fine, go for it, but I don't see it as your first choice.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I call BS

First, in a HD situation i want the bullet to localize.
    I dont want that bullet leaving the target and endangering anyone else in the house or going thru the walls and hitting a neighbor.

I have shot a pig with a 270. It acted as if it was stung by a bee.
    A follow up shot from the .44 mag droped it like a hot potato.

Small pistol calibers suck... Yes
    .357, .44 and .45 will stop a man no matter where you hit them

You are very wrong or you are missing your sarcastic purple. If you truly believe this you need to do some research and get some good training.

Top Bottom