• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Just looking for some suggestions on a shooting tripod. Primary use will be hunting from a seated ground position or seated chair height type position. Will be pairing to a MSR/AR type platform.

Thanks!

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    You might want to check out the Bog Deathgrip.... it's adjustable for a range of positions, from standing to sitting. I like mine.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a trigger stick tripod as well. It works, but it doesn't give the stability that the tripod does.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Hog saddle advantage - any gun will fit.

Arca mount advantage - there's no way it's coming off the tripod.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I like the Pig Saddle with their specific SLIK bipod and ball mount. The setup is rugged and works great.

Tripods & Ballheads

roofrifle4-M.jpg

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Another option is the night googles night stalker I use it with the pig saddle. It does take a long time to get it though about a month. I was worried the ball head wouldn't be very strong, but it holds my 17lbs bolt gun in any position.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    How far down this rabbit hole do you want to go??? LOL

Here is what I use for precision rifle shooting, and hunting. I run arca swiss plates on most of my rifles and it is by far the prefered method. I dont know what your budget is, but i dropped about $1k on everything. Most of the guys that shoot the precision rifle series are running similar setups, except maybe the RRS ball head instead of the leveling base. You can spend even more money and go with one of the really right stuff tipods, but the feisol is very good as well. Keep in mind, if you buy a cheaper tripod its not going to give you a very stable shooting position. My buddy has the exact same setup, and we shoot his barret 50 off of it no problem.

Here is a great video from Frank Galli, owner of snipershide.com Hes an EXCELLENT long range shooter, and a great resource for all things precision shooting.

At the time I bought my tripod (maybe 3 years ago) Really right stuff, and Feisol were really the only too players that brought anything serious to the market. Since then i belive there are definitely some more options that offer a very good stable shooting position. A camera tripod that is designed for a camera is not a good solution for a rifle. It is a solution, but not necessarily a good one. Marine corps were using the leofotto stuff for years, and im sure they were better shooters than I am by a long shot. That being said a SOLID tripod will multiply your effectivness at range significantly. Good training is always more important than equipment. However, if you have great equipment and good training youre even better off. To give you an example i can shoot 1/2 moa with my bolt gun prone, 1-2moa off of my tripod, and its definitely 2-3moa off of a ****ty tripod. Imagine the difference in that out to 500 yards if your hunting. ~5inch group vs 15inch group.

Feisol 3372 tripod
    FEISOL Elite Tripod CT-3372 M2 Rapid

really right stuff ta 2u leveling base.
    Universal Leveling Base | Really Right Stuff

Picatinny to arca swiss
    NATO-DVTL (reallyrightstuff.com)

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Cost aside...do you think there’s an advantage to the m-lock type mount you suggested vs say the hog saddle?

Appreciate all your info!

Hog saddle vs the arca out to 1-200yds isnt that noticeable. When you take it out beyond 500yds, say 1000yds.... the difference is extremely apparent. The hog saddle is very nice if you want to throw anything in it. If you want the most stable mounting available id go arca swiss. You can even notice the difference in wiggle from the RRS arca plates vs cheap arca plates when you go out to distance and your reticle is moving all over.

Keep in mind if you have picatinny on your rifles, really right stuff makes a picatinny to arca swiss adapter. You could clamp that adapter in your tripod, and just use picatinny to mount to that adapter. Again, youre adding another layer of mounting to the tripod, so it will be less stable than a direct mount.

Im sure a bunch of people reading this will think im crazy and splitting hairs. Trust me if you want to shoot out to distance off a tripod this **** really matters. If you are shooting 500yds and in, im sure the hog saddle would be fine.

Top Bottom