• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I know there are steel matches out there, and maybe this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyways:

How does one shoot steel without having the round ricochet? Are certain rounds ok, and some not? Rifle? Pistol?

Reason I ask, is I acquired some 1/2" plate steel (8"x8") and was planning on shooting it at my range. I was telling a buddy about it, and he said, "Be careful of the ricochets." I have 60+ acres to shoot on, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Any experts on this? Thanks!!!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Expert no

If it is good hard steel, and the bullet is travelling at a normal velocity the bullet breaks apart very well. There will be splatter 360 degrees from the point of impact. If you stay back 10 yards you should be fine, but getting hit with some splatter can still happen. Eye protection is always a must.

Regular steel will not handle many rifle rounds, so be careful. Also if the steel gets dented up it can lead to stray rounds going in unexpected places.

Also edge hits could leave the range. Hope this helps.

I have heard of guys shooting steel so close the splatter would regularly draw blood, and they kept doing it, and had to pull pieces out with pliers.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If it is not steel designed for that round it won't hold up. But you should be fine.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    If it's not at least AR400 grade steel you might be surprised what a 5.56 will do to those 1/2 plates. You shouldn't get a ricochets from that distance. I would work your way up to the 5.56, say start out with a pistol round from 30 yards or so and see what happens. I have some hung up at my place and shoot my 1911 at it from 30 to 40 yards no problem, it's just cold rolled 1/2" plate. Have fun, be carefull.

79BRUISER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    I love how you can see the steel plate flex when hit. I'd like to know some specifics on the plate and caliber.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    My loose grasp of physics tells me that you need togive the steel some way to wobble, wiggle or dance to help eliminate some splatter. I like the hanging strap holders I have seen. Use old firehose or tire strips to hang them for a cheap set up.

Plus the swing will give you more action during rapid strings of fire. .02

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Here's some pictures of a mild steel plate that I've shot with various calibers. The plate is 5/8" thick and around 8" by 4." The open holes in the middle are 3/4", and the holes on the outside are 1/2." I did a full write up on it a few years ago, but can't seem to find it.

DSC01499.jpg

DSC03859.jpg

DSC03860.jpg

This was at a range of about 100 yds for the rifles, and maybe 30 ft for the 7.62x25 Tok.

I've shot both sides of the plate, but in total it has been hit by 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, .303 brit, 30-06, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x25 (Tok), .22, and 5.56 (Miliatary M855 "Pennetrator", M856 Tracer, & M193 ball).

None of the rounds actually made it through, although a few of the full power .30 cal rounds cam darn close. There are clearly buldges on the back side, and the plate is physically bent. It even handled the 5.56 pennetrator and tracer rounds, although they did as much damage as a full power .30 cal.

.22 made a nice splatter, and 7.62x25 Tok fully embeded, as seen in the top left of the top photo.

If you really want to shoot steel, check out Bobcat steel. You'll have a plate you can use over and over safely, and will have a nice "gong" sound when you hit it. I wouldn't recommend using softer plate steel.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Geez, Coach, I never though of target shooting as a contact sport! That's a tough crowd you shoot with.

I don't shoot with him. It was relayed through a very trustworthy person.

Shooting steel can be great fun and perfectly safe.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I highly recommend the steel plates from Bobcat. Having shot both, home made, run of the mill steel, and AR500 at 100yds with .223, the home made ones were in bad shape after just a few rounds yet the AR500 showed only splatter. The rubber to hang a target is a great way to do it, garden hose works pretty well too.

Just make sure you wear safety glasses!

Top Bottom