• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Does anyone here have property that they own for shooting? I'm not talking your house is there and you just head out back. I like living near the city for ease of access to stores and good eats and the such, but I would love to live out "in the hills," as my girlfriend calls it, for some space for my own range. So does anyone have a small lot of land that they have aside from their home for shooting? Do you have a small house/shelter on it to stay? Is it just land? Maybe you have a deal with a guy with some farming land that you can use it out of season? How'd you get that deal worked out? Curious what everyone out there has. Feel free to post pictures.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I don't want McDonald's. :D I want a Gander Mountain, some gun shops, and of course the girlfriend wants a mall close-ish. Currently, we live about 10 minutes from the mall and about 30 minutes from Indianapolis.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I have an aversion to people, so I am happy being an 45 minutes to an hour away from everything. Plus, with the price of property, I could not see purchasing land just for that unless you bought enough with the intent to build on it or work it in some way.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i live in the burbs and have land in greene county and vigo county. So its about an hr drive to either one. I usually go to atterbury but sometimes i like driving the extra bit to shoot on my own land.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I do have rural land that will eventually be my retirement spot. I do have a range set up on it in a natural bowl resulting from a small landslide in a hillside that's about 40' high.

I used to live there, but for work reasons haven't for over 10 years.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    In the process of looking for land around wheatfield / demotte for shooting and eventually a home

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have 150 acres, a 50'-100 yard pistol rifle range in front of the house with a dedicated reloading building, and a 200-500 yard rifle range a little further away over my lake. If you pick the blankest spot on the map in Indiana furthest away from anything that's where I live and you couldn't pay me to live near a city. I hate even having to go to them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WE have always been lucky enough to know folks that own large plots of land far and away from city folk. Closest is 45 minutes and farthest is in Florida with a few scattered along the way. I am city raised and have to be near asphalt for some un-known reason but time in the woods is the absolute best.
    Thank God for good friends...that shoot...and hunt...and like us coming down....etc.

jmil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Brazil
    I have a 7 acer back yard that has a 12 ft tall hill just in the woods and for those long shoot when no one is home i slip down the drive to reach out 285 yrds with the 204 or 30 06 and im about 10 min from Walmart.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If your rural property has residential neighbors, how far from those neighbor's homes is it advisable to keep your private shooting range, irrespective of directionality or topology?

I have 3 neighbors that live near (within 1 mile) of my shooting range 2 of them hear me shoot and get out their guns and join me when they hear me shooting, and when I hear them I join them. 1 neighbor hates guns and calls the cops. The cops told him "Ive been shooting on that range, its prefectly safe" The neighbor said "Well I dont like the noise" The cop told him "Part of living in the country is hearing folks shooting, and 2 times year getting stuck driving behind combines and tractors. Its just the way it is"

I do wait to shoot until 9am out of respect but outside of that If hearing me shoot bothers you, you might consider moving inside the city limits. Dirrectionally absolutly 100% you have to be respectful of other neighbors homes. Topology, not so much.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If your rural property has residential neighbors, how far from those neighbor's homes is it advisable to keep your private shooting range, irrespective of directionality or topology?

Depends on how your range is constructed. You have to keep in mind that you are 100% responsible for the actions of every bullet that leaves your gun.

If there were no local ordinances against it, you could bury a culvert and shoot right on the property line next to the neighbor's house and be perfectly safe. Or you could own a thousand acres, launch a round that hits a rock and ricochets and travels two miles and hurts someone (exact details and distances are paraphrased but it has happened).

My backstops are designed to stop ricochet and both my ranges are in a deep valley so the odds of ricochet are low, and the odds that if one happens it'll leave the property at an angle steep enough to cause any harm are even lower.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Awe man... I want some Land so bad.
    Whats a going rate for wooded land in NWI?
    S/W MI?

There was 400 acres for sale in Hobart. It was on the west side of Grand Boulevard about 2 miles north of Route 30. I believe it was an old horse farm, the land looks like it would be good for shooting. If I could afford it I would have bought it by now.
    In the Crown Point/Winfield area there is 120 acres for sale off of 117th Avenue. The land there is two or three big farm fields with a couple patches of trees. I bet you could easily get a 300 yard range out of one of those fields.

Top Bottom