• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I have 160 acres just 10 minutes from the house with a 900 yard range and two berms and 50 acres of woods behind them. I don't know what I would do without it as it is my hunting, shooting, and time to myself sanctuary. Can't stand concrete and wish it was further away from town but I'll take it and consider myself fortunate. I do shut things down before and during deer season as my woods border other properties.

Land prices range from 6-11 an acre here depending on many factors such as location and type of soil, an auction is all about who's there.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    What do you guys consider a good starting size for land with a range, 25-50 yd pistol/rifle. Say I wanted a trailer or something on the smallest amount of land that I can safely shoot on, what would that be? My aunt owned 20 acres in KY, but sold 11 acres and maintains 9 to shoot on. My girlfriend is not opposed to me getting land like that, but I want to save money to build a real get away home for us.

Last edited:

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    We have 7 acres with 2 ponds-about 8 miles from home. Grandpa held clay bird matches there about once a month before passing away in '98.We still have clay bird matches once in a great while(Winchester electric trap thrower w/remote). Rifle range and handgun range part of the field is what we use the most now,though.Lots of trees for shade and a small shelter for 2 picnic tables...our little piece of heaven:)

r.gray87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Columbus
    I lease a farm to hunt on with 3 other guys, we drive 25 minutes out of town.

We have a spot that reaches out to 100 yards in the opposite direction of the neighboring homes and is into a depression with a 20 ft hill behind it that we shoot into.

If we were to only use this land for shooting, I would recommend a different way to do it, but since we also use it as a campground, place to drive recreational vehicles, hunting, shooting, running the dogs, hiking, swimming in the river during the summer, etc. Its not a bad deal. If you could get other use out of it, maybe consider leasing for a short while to see how much use you would get before you plop down significant money. Also if you're young or just in general not 100% sure you want to be in/come back to the area it keeps you from being tied to an expensive plot of land.

Top Bottom