• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcat91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Paradise
    Hi folks, I have an odd question. Does anyone here shoot better one handed versus a proper 2 handed grip?

I went shooting Sunday and realised my groups were better shooting with my right hand only. I shoot with a generic thumbs forward grip as I found it to suit me best in terms of accuracy and recoil control, but decided I needed to practice shooting one handed. Weak hand, my groups sucked. However shooting with my right my groups were actually smaller! Not by a ton but by enough. To notice right away.

Today I went shooting again intent on trying again. And sure as ****, shooting with my right hand resulted in some really tight groups versus shooting with a 2 handed thumbs forward grip. The only difference in stance was that I was shooting with a slight can't when shooting one handed, and my follow up shots took a tad more to get back on target.

All shots were fired with blazer brass 115gr fmjs and 147gr golden sabers out of a shield 9mm

100 rounds were fired with both grips using blazer, and 25 rounds each of the golden sabers. So a total of 250 rounds and it was obvious I was shooting better one handed.

Thanks!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Perhaps the small grip size of the shield puts you in a better natural shooting position than 2 handed. Embrace it, keep practicing it, and work to match your groups 2 handed!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Perhaps the small grip size of the shield puts you in a better natural shooting position than 2 handed. Embrace it, keep practicing it, and work to match your groups 2 handed!

^^ this ^^
    It's not totally unheard of to shoot well/better with one-hand, but it seems pretty rare in my experience. I would just say continue to practice with stong/weak/both to see if they can all improve.
    For some people, I think that ergonomics and personal body structure have a lot to do with it, and I would assume that you (w/ 1 hand) line it up very well and it "just works" -- seems like this would be best for target/bullseye type shooting. However, having two hands on the gun should drastically increase shooting speed (because of better control and less steering/waiting on gun). So, it's all about what fits your style best.
    Another benefit of 2 hands on gun is harder to lose the gun, if someone hits your hands, etc. I won't bother to make a list of all the perceived benefits and drawbacks of 2H vs 1H, but will summarize by saying that the benefits of 2H generally outweigh those of 1H.
    Keep up the good 1H, and work towards good 2H as well. /ramble :)

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    You should try Bullseye shooting (aka: NRA Conventional Pistol). It is all one-handed. Not real exciting, but it will make you a better shooter in every other discipline.

dcat91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Paradise
    Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

I think the it just works theory is the correct one, this is the first carry gun that I've been crazy about besides a 1911. I've finally found the one!

Also, while doing some dry fire practice I noticed that my thumb was lower while shooting strong hand, adjusted my grip accordingly to my two handed grip. Hoping to sling some more lead Thursday and ill see if that makes a difference.
    Id like to give a bullseye comp a try one day it sounds like fun. With that said I'm just going to keep practicing till I can get one ragged hole from 20ish feet. And then I'm going to practice some more cause shooting is fun!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My son shoots better one handed than two. I'm thinking that there are less forces to keep in check with one handed shooting. I like a two handed grip but have been practicing one handed shooting as well. Single handed shooting in a defense situation could happen if your weak hand (or strong) is holding someone, blocking or otherwise busy.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It's surprising how many well-meaning people at the range walk past me as I'm shooting with one hand and feel the need to say "Eh eh eh... two hands!". Don't know if it's because I'm a girl or a noob or if I just look stupid. I prefer to practice one-handed because I'm assuming that in a self-defense situation I will probably not have time to get into a proper two-handed position and get sighted up before I have to shoot.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I tend to believe you are better shooting one-handed because you are going slower and concentrating on it a bit more. You may not notice it, but that's my bet. If you are shooting faster with two hands and getting larger groups, I think this supports my guess. If you put the front sight on the target and press the trigger without moving the sight, it doesnt matter how many hands you have on the pistol.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    It's surprising how many well-meaning people at the range walk past me as I'm shooting with one hand and feel the need to say "Eh eh eh... two hands!". Don't know if it's because I'm a girl or a noob or if I just look stupid. I prefer to practice one-handed because I'm assuming that in a self-defense situation I will probably not have time to get into a proper two-handed position and get sighted up before I have to shoot.

Those people probably can't shoot anyway. One handed shooting is an important skill and you should work it. You should also learn a consistent, and efficient draw stroke that gets two hands on the pistol quickly and effectively. With some practice you can bring the gun to bear on the situation with both hands and good sight picture very quickly. You are right that you may not be able to in all situations, though.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I shoot well right handed and ok left handed, but I shoot the best with both hands. I agree with whatever works for you. Just as long as you practice.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I shoot all 3 ways. An old timer once told me it's a HAND gun not a HANDS gun. Meant to be deployed with one hand. If you look at old shooting sports pics they were all one handed. It does get the sights further from the eye and that particular sight picture may be better for some eye/glasses/sight combinations than others.

I like to practice with strong, weak and two handed. I am marginally better two handed but pretty close with strong hand. Weak hand takes lots of practice for me but I can do pretty well with it too if I take my time.

dcat91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Paradise
    This is one of the reasons I love having a private range, you don't need to worry about anyone else and can do drills, especially since to my knowledge there isn't a range in the area that you can draw from, but considering how many accidents happen I can't say I blame them.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I shoot my wife's tcp better with just strong hand. The things just too small. I shoot my g23 better with both. I'm not a great shooter anyway. I only carry hers about 3 times a year.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Unless I'm doing something unsafe I really don't want unsolicited advice at the range. Specifically, if they deliver the advice like that while just walking by.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Unless I'm doing something unsafe I really don't want unsolicited advice at the range. Specifically, if they deliver the advice like that while just walking by.

Complete with :nono:. Agree with you, NN. If I'm just practicing different (safe) ways to become proficient at shooting, leave me alone and let me do my thing.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Nothing wrong with practicing one-handed. This should be done with either hand, just for good measure. When I shoot cowboy action, I shoot Gunfighter style. A SA revolver in each hand. Lots of fun.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. :):

Top Bottom