Shooting a third party? (scenario inside)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Ok, you say 80yds, we'll assume the true distance is 40 thanks to spatial distortion due to adrenaline.

1. unload on the car. If the chick is dragging my son from the sidewalk, they're 6-8 feet from the passenger side of the car. I may goof on elevation, but windage shouldn't be far enough off for him to be in the target zone. Hopefullly, this spooks the driver and he bails or the chick drops the boy and they both bail. Whether this happens or not....

2. drop the mag while moving to dead sprint toward the car, reload as fast as possible. I've got about 6 seconds to thwart this before they're gone.

3. halve the distance to the car, drop to a knee. Provided the driver's area is still a viable target, 3 (relatively) controlled rounds through the back glass towards him/her.

(assuming 1-3 are unsuccessful)
    4. continue the run toward the car, no more rounds fired until I have an absolute target, whether it's the woman or driver.

I will chase the vehicle on foot, shooting when I get a target until my heart explodes or they are stopped. no hesitation, no remorse, no care for my own skin, legally or otherwise.

To modify one of our oft used phrases....I'd rather be judged by 12 than be one of 6 carrying a 1/2 size casket. Indy don't play like that, not even a little.

afk loading mags and doing wind sprints.
    You said back glass, what if the vehicle if FACING you ?????

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Know how I can tell you don't yet have a 5-year-old? :D

Eighty yards is just what I used to give you a frame of reference. It could be 20 yards, could be 50-- however far away is too far to respond instantly on foot, but still close enough to have a visual line of sight and would be reasonable.

Evan,

You're exactly right. My daughter is only 8.5 months old and has only been crawling for a month. Also, from what I gather, young boys are much more of a handful to "watch" out in public. I am indeed new to this whole parenting bit... And I'll also admit to being ignorant of how real-life happens when one has toddlers / young boys like you and your wife do. I know that you're 1000% more versed in that than I am!

BUT... I'll stand by my initial statement as it relates to your original statement. I know you've come back to the thread and slightly adjusted the thread so that your initial 80-yard figure was now meant to be figurative; an "insert your yardage here" type scenario.

Initially... It'd be a non-starter. Unless it was the dead-end cul-de-sac that we live on, my children just wouldn't be that far away from us if we were on any kind of street or through-way where there's any kind of traffic.

Now; adjusting your 80yd scenario down to something probable...20 yards? Who knows.

Just like all the "what would you do if" threads on all the message boards: It'd depend on the totality of the circumstances. Wife nearby? My other children nearby and/or involved? Neighbors nearby? Is my wife backing out of our garage? What else is going on?

I can't give an answer because there are myriad variables. Each situation/scenario is dynamic.

I DO hope, however, that should anything like the OP happen... I hope & pray that I'm able to keep a level head to the point that I wouldn't do anything that'd deprive my wife of her husband or any other children of their father. Here on this earth, priority #1 is my wife.

-J-

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    You said back glass, what if the vehicle if FACING you ?????

Makes things more difficult with the laminated glass of a windshield, but I think I take the same action. I would definitely be aiming downward a little more to reduce the angle between the line of fire and the slope of the glass.

2nd option if the vehicle is facing me is to dump the magazine into the grill. 14 .40 rounds should do something. Then I could follow up with the shots to the driver area.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Guys,

Thanks again for all the helpful replies in this thread. I think everyone's brain has been exercised somewhat.

Not one to leave this all to internet lore, lovemywoods and I went out today and set up this exact scenario on the range and played it out several times.

I think you'll all be very surprised at my findings. I was. ;)

I'll have the full report up later tonight or tomorrow, including pictures and videos. :yesway:

Teaser pic:

s3keb7.jpg

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Wow, you're serious about this thing, actually having him hold the target while you work up a little fatigue and take 80 yard pistol shots at his Honda. Nice. Nice. I like the way you simulate.

Guys,

Thanks again for all the helpful replies in this thread. I think everyone's brain has been exercised somewhat.

Not one to leave this all to internet lore, lovemywoods and I went out today and set up this exact scenario on the range and played it out several times.

I think you'll all be very surprised at my findings. I was. ;)

I'll have the full report up later tonight or tomorrow, including pictures and videos. :yesway:

Teaser pic:

s3keb7.jpg

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Kind of reminds me of the old joke I heard while performing gate duties in the military!

At 2 a.m. a 2 star General arrives at the gate driven by his chauffer and the gate guard stops them. "Sir, may I see your ID." Where upon it was discovered in their rush to get back to the base they had both forgotten their ID's. The guard being only a private still refused them entry. Upon hearing this the General rolls down his window a barks out “Private don't you know who I am????” To which the private replies “Yes sir you are General such and such.” Then the General screams “It's ^%$^%$# 2 a.m. and I have to get to my office now let me in the %^$&^% gate!” To which the private replies. “I'm sorry sir but I cannot allow you in the gate without an ID.” At this point the General was fed up and screamed at the driver to “DRIVE ON!” To which the private quickly replied “General would you please be kind enough to answer one question before you drive on sir?” The surprised General barks "What is it" to which the private replied.........."Sir Do I shoot YOU or the DRIVER?"

Sorry I know its an old one but it kinda fit the above just a touch!

OBTW, in your situation I'd shoot the driver as the other is too close to my child! Take out the driver and NO one is going anywhere anyway!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Top Bottom