• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ForceTA308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    9mm Shield with thumb safety here. I carry in an Aliengear cloak tuck 3.0 IWB holster and it is hands down the most comfortable set up I've come across. As many others have said though, if I did it again I would go with non-thumb safety model. Muscle memory at this point to sweep it but I think that a good IWB holster like gives you better peace of mind when running CC without a safety.

You'll be happy with it either way you decide.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I ended up getting a Shield 9mm with thumb safety for $339 from McGalliard Guns, lowest price I saw. I also got a kydex IWB holster from Rebel holsters which I really like so far. I need to pick up a couple more mags, a mag carrier and night sights. Any recomendation on night sights and anyone who stocks them and will install them?

I don't have a Shield but I recently got a set of Truglo TFX sights (fiber optic and tritium sights) for my Glock 27 and I like them. The FO is nice and bright when its light and the tritium vials make the FO glow in the dark just like standard 3 dot night sights.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Im thinking either Truglo or Ameriglo sights, is there anyone local likely to have them, and install them while I wait? I live about an hour away from Indy and hate to leave it. Not really stuck on those 2 sights

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Im thinking either Truglo or Ameriglo sights, is there anyone local likely to have them, and install them while I wait? I live about an hour away from Indy and hate to leave it. Not really stuck on those 2 sights

Do you feel comfortable doing it yourself? Doesn't take long at all as long as you're comfortable doing it, and it's very easy especially on Glocks, M&Ps etc. Look on YouTube and I'm sure there's several hundred videos which will show you how to do it. I purchased mine online when I found them on sale so I don't know about anyone having them locally. Any gun shops in your area? Might give them a call and see if they'd install or recommend somebody they'd trust if you don't want to DIY.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Do you feel comfortable doing it yourself? Doesn't take long at all as long as you're comfortable doing it, and it's very easy especially on Glocks, M&Ps etc. Look on YouTube and I'm sure there's several hundred videos which will show you how to do it. I purchased mine online when I found them on sale so I don't know about anyone having them locally. Any gun shops in your area? Might give them a call and see if they'd install or recommend somebody they'd trust if you don't want to DIY.

The shield sights are a bi*ch to get off unless you have a sight pusher.

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have a shield in a .40, and have it with the thumb safety. I think it is the way to go. I adds a little more security, and takes your thought away from an AD. It doesn't have a negative side to it... More protection, less accidents, I don't think you can go wrong with a thumb safety.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have a shield in a .40, and have it with the thumb safety. I think it is the way to go. I adds a little more security, and takes your thought away from an AD. It doesn't have a negative side to it... More protection, less accidents, I don't think you can go wrong with a thumb safety.

As long as you train with it to get the muscle memory down, so that you disengage it upon draw, I agree.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What works for you may not work for others. Best way to prevent a ND is to keep your gun in your holster unless you're going to use it. Safeties don't work for me on carry guns. I'm not taking my gun out of my holster unless I'm wanting to pull the trigger.

Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    i would say that if you're going to use it as an edc i wouldn't get the thumb safety because its one more thing you have to think about. really it comes down to what you're comfortable with.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Great little pistola. I got my fiance one with a safety for her IL carry class in which she did excellent BTW. I liked it so much I also got one for myself mainly for summer carry. I've been carrying cocked and locked since 1992, first with a Browning High Power and since 2000 a 1911 so a safety is second nature to me. I initially got one without the safety but exchanged it the next day. It felt neked. I can see how someone used to a striker fired pistol could have issues remembering the safety.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Problem I see is the safety is really small and pretty easy to miss with your thumb. When I had mine, I missed the safety in training a few times. It's the main reason I sold it. Now that there's a safety-less version, I've been thinking about picking one up again. That or a glock 43.

Top Bottom