• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I'll be at a gun show that weekend. I should change that to my signature here, cause every time something like this comes around, I've got a gun show to do.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I saw Stallone's movie, The Expendables, last night. I CANNOT, CANNOT, CANNOT recommend this movie enough, as the PISTOL FIGHTING scenes were incredible and were flashbacks of parts of the Tactical Responses FP and AFP classes coming to Seymour. I was expecting cheesy (it was), but it was enjoyable cheese and the fight (physical and pistol) scenes were the most realistic I think I've ever seen. This is a movie I will purchase.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I have been registered for a couple months. I have been pushing it to a couple friends of mine. None seem to have the time or money to devote to it though.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I'm planning to ride my motorcycle down this evening to have dinner with the instructors and students. I look forward to seeing you there.

MikeHinds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    South Bend
    Just completed this class. Loved it!

Nice to meet Britton and his fine sons.

Here's my AAR (cross-posted at GetOffTheX.com)

Tactical Response Course Review
    Fighting Pistol
    Seymour, Indiana
    September 25-26, 2010

Second time’s a charm! I registered for this class and showed up to take it in June of this year. As was noted by myself and others,

LiveCloud

the temperature was oppressive. I did not complete training at that time, but vowed to return at a later and cooler opportunity.

Many thanks to James Yeager and the Tactical Response community for
    1) making it financially possible for me to return this soon (although I would have made it eventually
    2) being understanding and non-judgmental (sensitive if you like that term)

This time the weather was absolutely perfect – Seymour topped out at about 75 on Saturday and 70 on Sunday, with barely a sprinkle Sunday am during the lecture and nothing the rest of the day.

Class was tag-team taught by Jay Gibson and Paul Gomez, two gentlemen with different backgrounds and complimentary approaches to nearly every topic. Often the discussion would turn lighthearted (“She probably deserved it.”) but even then it never suggested that the issues were less than life-critical.

Paul and Jay were ably assisted by Britton (sorry, missed your first name, but we never used it anyway).

The location was the Seymour PD’s FOP range, near the Seymour airport. A simple but more than adequate facility, with a three-sided berm surrounding the range, an activities building and a covered picnic table area. At least four Seymour PD officers attended alongside the rest of us, with occasional visits by other SPD personnel.

On the web one might read that Tactical Response is “crazy unsafe”, and even that “the cause of gun rights has been set back decades”. Nothing can be further from the truth. Safety discussions came first before shooting on both days. Gun handling, the Four Laws, a medical briefing, were included and repeated. Each student is a safety officer, and is responsible to shout “Cease Fire!” if anything unsafe occurs.

Medically trained students were appointed as our medical officers. Simple rules: “Find the hurt guy. Find the medical bag. Find the medical officer(s). Put them together. Whoever is the highest ranking medical officer, shut up, let him talk, and do what he says.”

The shooting starts with DEA Dots, a target with six dots arranged like a #6 domino. Various combinations of “X hits on dot Y, followed by Z hits on dot W” were used to practice, repeat, and ingrain the various steps of a safe draw.

Every skill, once presented is used repeatedly and built upon by successive skills. From draw we progressed to adding in the FAST protocol (Fight, Assess, Scan and Top-Off). Once a skill is added, it is then used throughout the remainder of the course. Should you omit a step, watchful eyes and shouted reminders require all students to continue using each skill as more skills are built upon the foundation. This is excellent educational practice in any form of training.

I don’t consider myself “disabled”, but I do acknowledge some limitations. I had a golf-ball-sized brain tumor removed in 1980, and awoke paralyzed on my left side. I have learned to walk again (sometimes clumsily), and have some use of my left hand now, albeit without control of individual fingers. Provision was made so that I was able to perform each drill, in one fashion or another. I need to switch hands to rack the slide – no problemo. Most difficult for me was to hold my gun and eyes on the target while retrieving dropped mags (and by the way, all mags WILL BE DROPPED!). Several times I was helped to my feet by both students and instructors. What became my protocol was to hold my gun on the bad-guy (target) covering a neighboring comrade who would retrieve the dropped mags for me.

The FAQ page for Tactical Response commits to train even a wheelchair-bound student. I am living proof that these guys will do whatever is necessary to accommodate such special needs, and to get you all the training you need (and pay for). I praise their non-judgmental effort that went above and beyond what was necessary.

I arrived Saturday morning as a failure, willing to make another attempt. Thanks to Jay and Paul’s dedication and experience, and to the other students as well, we all left on Sunday evening as better shooters, better persons, and significantly, as comrades.

Myself – age 57, father of five, grandfather of five, at least 100 pounds overweight, borderline diabetic, and the above-mentioned neurological symptoms.
    The Fighting Pistol – a Glock 22, a Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment holster, a CamelBak for hydration, and Wal-Mart’s cheapest .40 ammo.

Do NOT forget to bring an UpLula magazine loader!

Thanks again to James for having me back to complete this excellent training. There are many “big-name” training sights around the USA that would charge you $1000 or $2000, keep you for 4 or 5 days, and you would not get this good of training at any of them.

I’ll be back for more. Thanks, guys.
    - Mike

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Thank you, sir!

Perhaps I'll find my way to MindsetLab as I continue training.

You came back to Fighting Pistol even though the heat knocked you down the first time. That rocks.

You also have plenty of potential "excuses" that you could use for not training, but you choose to ignore them and do what needs to be done. I wish the majority of gun owners were half as committed as you.

You have my respect.

Top Bottom