• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    So a good friend of mine asked me what a good semiauto 12ga would be for duck and goose. Unfortunitly, I'm not really knowledged in semiautos, so I come to INGO for your opinions.

He would like a wide range of options.... So, if you have used a semiauto for either duck or goose lmk what you have found works!

thanks!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Winchester SX3, runs about $1000. I have one with the 3.5" chamber if he would like to try it one day. This is the shotgun that currently holds the world record for fastest cycling shotgun. And unlike beretta, benelli, and remington, it will cycle everything, even low aluminum/low brass shells for when he is just playing around.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I run a beater Remington 1100 3" magnum with steel shot Remchoke bbl.
    But on geese I don't use steel, run bismuth #2's.
    Drops honkers like the Hammer of Thor to 50 yards.

I do have a 3.5" 870 for maybe trying steel hybrid pellet stuff. Have not run those shells yet.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I have an old Belgian Browning A5, 3"Mag. It is a work of Art, and a heck-of-a great shotgun. Everything I have read about 3.5" Guns seems to indicate the extra .5" only adds recoil, not much improvement in pattern. If you can find an 1100 reasonable that's also a good choice.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I've used a Benelli Super Black Eagle II for the last two years. Great hunting gun, it will handle any 3 or 3.5 inch round you throw at it. I've only had a few problems with light skeet loads, basically they don't have quite enough energy to run the gun fully. Mine is also fairly new, I know people with Benellis a few years older that have no issues. Very light, durable, and easy to clean/disassemble. The recoil with 3.5 inch loads is definitely noticable, but you can always shoot 3 inch if it's a problem. If he knows he won't shoot 3.5 loads, the Benelli M2 is pretty similar and not as expensive if you want to stay with an inertia gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I used to run 3.5" Nitrosteel BBB in a Mossberg 835.........and while the ergonomics of the gun pretty much sucked, which no doubt enhanced the perceived recoil...............I found 3.5" in steel shot to not be the monster so many claimed.

Helped a bud turkey test a 835.........3.5" lead loads. They got your attention!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have an old Belgian Browning A5, 3"Mag. It is a work of Art, and a heck-of-a great shotgun. Everything I have read about 3.5" Guns seems to indicate the extra .5" only adds recoil, not much improvement in pattern. If you can find an 1100 reasonable that's also a good choice.
    Make sure you know what you are looking at. Not all Remington 1100's will chamber a 3" mag. ALL Remington 11-87's will chamber a 3" mag. Remington makes SPS (Special Purpose) 1100's & 11-87's that are made for the rigors of duck/geese hunting. They can be had new in the $500-900(and up) range depending on model and bells and whistles.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Remington 1100 12 gauge receivers are the same. The barrels and action sleeves differ between magnum and standard.
    Remington "steel shot" barrels say for use on both types of receivers, but that on a regular it's for 3" steel only. If on a magnum it can run 3" steel or lead.
    This leads people to believe the receivers are different, but they aren't.
    Remington does not sell magnum action sleeves as a part, so unless a gun has been modified, the type of receiver stamping should be telling of what action sleeve it has.

But............magnum or standard gun, I'd check the action sleeve, as if it's possible to swap a standard to mag, I bet somewhere somebody has put a mag to standard..........so you cannot fully determine what you have by any receiver model stamping or serial numbering system. Gotta you look at the sleeve.

BTW, I've had 3 1100 magnums, 8 or 9 standards, and currently run a legit 1100 SP Magnum. They were parkerized :)

Last edited:

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I used to run 3.5" Nitrosteel BBB in a Mossberg 835.........and while the ergonomics of the gun pretty much sucked, which no doubt enhanced the perceived recoil...............I found 3.5" in steel shot to not be the monster so many claimed.

Helped a bud turkey test a 835.........3.5" lead loads. They got your attention!

I have always found remmy nitrosteel to blow in general.

Kent and Federal 3.5 inchers thru my mossy 935 has been good to me.

Then again the best gun in the world will not turn you into the best duck hunter in the world. You have to practice at wing shooting all the time.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have always found remmy nitrosteel to blow in general.

Kent and Federal 3.5 inchers thru my mossy 935 has been good to me.

Then again the best gun in the world will not turn you into the best duck hunter in the world. You have to practice at wing shooting all the time.

I had Federal and Winchester, but standard steel. I wasn't impressed with them either, but that was years ago.
    Got some Blindside to try, and may even go with some Blackcloud. Maybe those will show marked improvement over the old stuff I ran.
    I rather dislike bringing birds down and having them not be dead.
    Bismuth 2's have worked great for me in that regard.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I have an older 3.5" Winchester SX2 that has been very reliable with a wide variety of loads.
    I'm not sure how it differs from the newer SX3.

My Dad is nearly 80, and has hunted waterfowl hard ever since he was big enough to carry a shotgun.
    About 20 years ago he parked the 3" Model 12 and started using a 3" 1100.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    So he's interested in the benelli M3, and a versamax.

How are the gas systems? He mentioned something about enersha vs gas! :dunno:

I'm hoping he'll become a member to post these questions himself.......(hint,hint)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think I got spoiled, but I don't know for sure.

I only have experience with a single semi-auto 12ga,
    I was gifted a Weatherby SA-08. I don't fowl hunt, but I'd bet it would do the job.
    It's just a little too purdy to be out beatin' through the fields with it.

Top Bottom