• ...and so much more!
  • torque_and_recoil

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    I'm a big fan of the Squad Scout configuration. The 18.5" barrel is lighter and handier than the "Loaded", and it's still 1-2 MOA for me out to 300 yards (with a 2.5x scout scope and OTM ammo).

I haven't been able to achieve the same level of accuracy with my friends' SOCOMs. But that could just be me.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I recommend looking into an FAL. I own one and they are fairly easy to tailor to yourself similar to an AR 15. Mine shoots unbelievably smooth and there is virtually no jump with very little felt recoil. Not only that, you can get into one cheaper than an M1A used if this is a concern (it was for me). Two things, 308 rifles weigh lots more than AKs or ARs, and, as mentioned before, ammo is much more pricey than 556 or 7.62x39.

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    Thank you for all of the input. The M1-A is really peaking my interest. As for a specific model, I am leaning towards a Loaded or Squad Scout version. Based on a few responses, it seems that the Squad Scout model does not suffer a great deal of accuracy loss compared to the Loaded model. Is that generally the case when considering an 18.5 and 22 inch barrel chambered in .308?

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I'm not all that familiar with the other weapons listed here, but I cannot imagine another .308 taking the place of my M-1A. If you're old enough to have ever fired the military M-14, I can tell you for sure, the SA M-1A feels, acts and shoots just like its Army big brother! Like the old Alka Seltzer commerecial, "Try it! You'll like it!"

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    See my avatar.... But my favorite is the Bush/ Scout rifle 18.5" barrel just feels handier, still battle rifle length and mine is actually the most accurate of them out to 200 y.

chipperej

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Boone County Indiana
    Last edited:

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    The M1A action is rock solid, accurate, and the recoil is mild. The SOCOM length is really handy, but you're stuck with a fat front sight that collects soot and hurts your accuracy with the iron sights. The Scout model is a bit longer, but has iron sights that you can use with some precision. Plenty of upgrades available for the M1A rifles too, for mods down the line.

A poster above mentioned the Keltec bullpup 308--I've shot one of those and they're sweet except that they don't fit in most gun racks at the range (its too short!), but I was also told that they are not to be fed steel cased ammo--causes jams and stuff in the ejection track, I think he said. Oh, and the iron sights I dont think exist for the bullpup arrangement, so you'll be locked into buying optics.

And then there's also the AR10 platforms--reputedly much more accurate out of the box than an M1A series, but not as "bullet proof" an action in terms of reliability with mud and dirt, etc. They can be had for a few hundred less than M1As, and they have great flexibility of optics vs irons in the A3/A4 arrangements, but magazine are more expensive and you have the pesky spring noise in the stock to deal with. I have yet to shoot one, but it's on my list.

FALs and PTRs are roller-lock actions, which may be more flexible in what you can feed them, but I don't know how accurate they are. I've also heard that FALs are 'kit' guns that can have issues, inch vs metric pattern, and import restrictions in getting the parts from the 'real deal'. I have yet to shoot either of these, but would like to.

Another option would be to get an M1 Garand in 308... they made them. Its much like the M1As, but in the grand-daddy Garand format, have classic looks, and you get to play with 8 round enbloc clips that go PiNG! :rockwoot:

:twocents: :ar15:

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    I vote the Kel Tec RFB, the one on the top.

rfbm1ascar17crop.jpg

And they come in different barrel lengths.
    DSCN0118.jpg

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I vote the Kel Tec RFB, the one on the top.

rfbm1ascar17crop.jpg

And they come in different barrel lengths.
    DSCN0118.jpg

Well that is refreshing. Someone gave some advice that actually OWN more than one rifle. Too often these threads turn into "I own this, you should too."

Please, give more insight.

I thought the RFB was heavy, goof mag changes, chamber checks suck, and harsh recoiling.

The price is right, it handles well, and I like the brass ejection system.

Jason91887

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    I have have handled the Keltec RFB and thought it felt really great, but I have never shot it. As for the M1A, I have shot a hell of a lot out a National model and would reccomend the heck out of it, I love it and I want to own one sometime in the near future.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Those are not my rifles. I have however shot all four different types of guns in those pictures (not suppressed however). I have owned an M1a, SCAR, POF MMR, FAL, and the basic AR-10. My brother owns an RFB that I have shot a lot. I don't mind the recoil on his because he upgraded his brake to one that works. The mag changes are simple and have given us no problems, now, were we trying to speed load it? No. That's not what it was meant for. The trigger was suprisingly decent, especially for a bullpup. My like, was the center of weight, the guns isn't nose heavy like my POF. Out of the box, it was also pleasantly accurate.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... The only requirement I set for this purchase is that it not be an "AR style" rifle. ...

By "AR style" do you mean that you don't want a rifle that cosmetically resembles an AR, or that you do not want rifle with a direct impingement gas system?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Can you even get a Kel Tec? Availability seems to be pretty poor for the most part.

Maybe a better question is can you get parts for a Kel Tec? If complete guns are scarce then spare/replacement parts may made of unobtainium.

How easy is a Kel Tech to fieldstrip, and how far can it be fieldstripped? Can you easily remove, completely disassemble, then reassemble the trigger group for example?

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    By "AR style" do you mean that you don't want a rifle that cosmetically resembles an AR, or that you do not want rifle with a direct impingement gas system?

I am referring to the cosmetic look of an AR. I already own a couple of AR-15's, so I was just hoping to expand into a different style.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I just built my first 308 rifle, so i cant speak for others in the list. I havent put mine thru the paces yet either, but I like it so far. Not technically an M1A.
    Here it is - Fulton Armory M14 barreled receiver built with USGI M14 parts, USGI walnut stock.
    picture.php

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I am referring to the cosmetic look of an AR. I already own a couple of AR-15's, so I was just hoping to expand into a different style.

I really wanted to pick the M1A as my first autoloading 308. I keep coming back to the fact that I really like the AR ergonomics and how easy they are to scope. For a round that can deliver such force at 800 yards, I really want to put a magnified optic on it.

I know you said that you did not want an AR style 308, but if it's just cosmetic then well, that's beyond me. My firearms are tools. They're beautiful if they do their job.

All that said, I'm still on the fence myself. I've gone from M1a to saiga 308 to vepr 308 to Ptr91 and am currently leaning towards DPMS. I like each of the others, but when it comes to putting glass on them, I can get a wonky mount and a cheek riser and weld a piece of metal on and and and or I can just get a LR308, slap a scope on it with a larue qd and pop it off for something else when I want to go a different way for a day.

Funny though, I grind and grind and think and think and weigh the benefits of these rifles against each other and I know I will like whichever one I buy.

Top Bottom