• ...and so much more!
  • Waynetucky10

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I sell quite a bit on ebay as well. It sucks dealing with morons. You can send a 2nd chance off to the next highest bidder. I don't think you have to wait for the order cancel or non-paying buyer process to complete. Also, I set-up my listings to exclude out of country buyers from even viewing my auctions because of the giant hassle and expense it is to ship internationally.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I've had someone out of the country buy, when I clearly posted that I wouldn't. I just told him no, and immediately clicked the Second Chance offer, and shipped it to the next highest bidder.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had an out of country guy win some archery stuff from me. I contacted him and he said he had a US account and address.
    I only do Paypal and he paid right away and I shipped his stuff.
    No issues.
    I haven't sold much, but have so far had zero problems.
    Selling outdoor sports related, my guess is they know if they screw me I'll go on a "hunting trip" ;)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I used to do a lot of selling and buying on ebay. But a couple things happened and now I hardly ever use ebay. I think it's been well over a year since I bought anything on ebay.

1. I have pared down my stuff enough that I don't have much left to sell. (had to sell a lot of stuff when I was jobless for extended period of time)
    2. Since ebay has turned more "professional" with mostly new items, Amazon has become my go to. Lower prices, no bidding and great return policies.

For me, ebay has run it's course.

tonyb71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    So. Indiana
    I've sold several items on ebay and unfortunately had to do the 2nd offer as well. The fees are just ridiculous now when you sell on ebay.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Even with fees, it's still better selling there than the local jackwagons on craigslist. I currently have a phone listed and some guy only offered me 50% of the price listed and $125 less than what they sell for all day long.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Tried ebay for a while, a lot more hassle than I cared for. Didn't really sell much anyways. Never got any of the asshattery you guys seem to have gotten though.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I pretty much stopped doing ebay unless its a large item. They now charge fees on shipping, and the sale price. I sold a $20 item once, and made about $10 out of it.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I pretty much stopped doing ebay unless its a large item. They now charge fees on shipping, and the sale price. I sold a $20 item once, and made about $10 out of it.

I sold a computer chip for an Expedition worth a couple hundred new and several had sold for $175. I made $1 over shipping costs and fees when I used ebay.

I will be more careful next time (no reserve and $1 start killed me)

arsenal69

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    keep in mind that Ebay is 100% for the buyer plus they have 45 days after winning the auction to ask for a refund....

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Dad sells model trains on Ebay occasionally. It sucks when the guy didn't really read or look at picture properly and asks for you to refund his purchase. It sucks more that after you said no, he suddenly found "shipping damage" and demanded a refund after calling my dad every name in the book. The train was basically destroyed. Dad had no way to dispute it and we got stuck with something someone broke just so they could get a refund.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You have to be careful, but you can still get screwed. I won a bid on an item where the seller was in Canada. Shortly thereafter he withdrew the item and cancelled the sale. So I e-mail him asking what's the problem. He responded with a string of profanity. I reported it to e-bay but never got a response. I try to deal only with sellers that have been at it awhile.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I quit selling on ebay for those reasons.

I sold off a video game collection a few years ago.

Several of the games sold for less than the cost to me to ship out. I shipped them out, but obviously didn't put tracking or insurance on the games. The untracked/uninsured games were ALL reported as nondelivered, I got negative feedback, my account suspended, the game cost refunded to the buyers (so I'm out the $4 they paid for the game plus the $7 I paid to ship the game, and the game itself) basically I paid $11 per game and at least an hour of my time to throw my games in the trash.

I will never sell on there again. If you think craigslist is scammy, ebay is sanctioned scamnation

Waynetucky10

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't list auction-style for many of the reasons already listed. I list everything as a "buy it now" with a set price and free shipping. I just look up what an item is selling for and I guesstimate the shipping cost and figure that into my buy it now price. I bought a cheap scale from amazon a couple months ago and it's paid for itself many times over with being able to print my own label and save 20-30% or so on shipping costs. Plus, they all include a tracking label so there's no chance of a buyer saying they didn't get an item. Ebay is not for everyone. Like everything else, it has its pluses and minuses. For me, it's the best medium for the kinds of stuff I sell, and I get a higher price for my items then I would anywhere else because of the sheer number of people that have access to viewing it.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I have sold hundreds of items overseas. With that said, there is no item tracking on these items; there is no recourse for the seller if they go "missing". The buyer can complain and the seller will automatically lose. Therefore I stopped shipping items of any significant value to overseas addresses. For me, nothing over say, $50.

ebay & PayPal can be frustrating. Nuisance customers aren't why I feel that way.

For certain wares, eBay is really the only online marketplace.

Top Bottom