• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    A friend has sold their house and they are going to live in an RV They plan to travel for a few years and then settle back down. How does he maintain his Indiana Handgun license and what does he use for an address while living in the RV.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My in-laws use one of their other daughter's houses in TN as their address of record. No reported problems so far, and it's been about 4 years.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    There are also Mail services that will hold your mail and then forward it when you have a location you will be at for a extended time

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've know a few people to do this. They kept a physical address in their home state for taxes, voting, bills, and the like. Just be sure they satisfy the requirements as a "resident" of that state. Also be sure they don't accidently become a resident of ANOTHER state.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a friend who sold his house and almost all of their belongings and bought motor home. He basically went down to 300 sq ft which had to fit all of their belongings that they kept.

Their plan was to travel to two years crisscrossing the country with the idea to decide where they wanted to settle down for the rest of their lives. That was over 10 years ago.

They are still traveling. They love it so much, they decided to continue on with longer stays where their kids live.

As far as firearms, I'm not sure how it does it. Probably just doesn't say anything about even having any.

And I doubt he has much use for mail.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What does he do about his Indiana DL since he no longer lives at the address?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    How do the homeless get drivers license or state ID without an address?
    1935 Illinois st in the dumpster behind st Elmo’s. Ask for stinky Fred.

A simple P.O. Box would most likely do.

I have often though of a summer home in northern Michigan and a winter home in the Florida keys or sanibell island area.

A concrete pad and Water and electric meter in both places and a small lockable shed In Michigan for storage. A covered picnic table in Florida cause it rains every afternoon.

I would have to pare stuff down to the very minimum to do this. Look at all the problems. I need a hammer. Well ball peen or claw or sledge? What weight? Should I keep the nicest one or the one I have swung since 1982. Now multiply that time everything you own. How big of a gun safe will the trailer floor withstand? One 22 rifle? The 9422 the 39a the model 52 the browning t bolt or the 541 sporter. **** it would be like giving away children

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    How do the homeless get drivers license or state ID without an address?
    1935 Illinois st in the dumpster behind st Elmo’s. Ask for stinky Fred.

A simple P.O. Box would most likely do.

I have often though of a summer home in northern Michigan and a winter home in the Florida keys or sanibell island area.

A concrete pad and Water and electric meter in both places and a small lockable shed In Michigan for storage. A covered picnic table in Florida cause it rains every afternoon.

I would have to pare stuff down to the very minimum to do this. Look at all the problems. I need a hammer. Well ball peen or claw or sledge? What weight? Should I keep the nicest one or the one I have swung since 1982. Now multiply that time everything you own. How big of a gun safe will the trailer floor withstand? One 22 rifle? The 9422 the 39a the model 52 the browning t bolt or the 541 sporter. **** it would be like giving away children
    The people that I mentioned up thread had to make a lot of tough decisions. He said it wasn't easy but after they had finished their purging and spent some time on the road, they loved it. It's not for everyone. I think you would need to be a minimalist type person to even have a chance to make it work long term. They had a 39' Newmar. Under the floors, like a bus, they had storage. He kept some fishing gear, skis and a few other things. Maybe their bikes but I can't remember for sure.

Basically they owned the 39 footer, a vehicle they towed, some clothing, the stuff in the under storage, and stuff to make meals with.

Update: they have since sold the Newmar and they drive a Ford 1 ton with a slide in camper. They decided to scale down even more since they do a lot of boon docking and the smaller size makes it easier.

They have a base at one of their son's homes in Wisconsin. They call it the family homestead. So they travel light but have a place to go to that has more "stuff" when they are not running the roads.

And this is probably way too much unrelated info for this thread. Sorry about that folks.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've always wondered what it would cost to have hidden safes installed in an RV, something to keep standard capacity rifles, and handguns from prying eyes, and those who would not approve of heving that type of gun...who knows might want to go to Maine, so I would have to drive through commie states....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    They'd need a drivers license. States issue those. They'd need plates/insurance for RV. States issue and regulates those. Their plan cannot happen legally without an address. It won't matter if they live there, but their voting, BMV, taxes, etc. will all matter legally based upon the address they choose to use.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've always wondered what it would cost to have hidden safes installed in an RV, something to keep standard capacity rifles, and handguns from prying eyes, and those who would not approve of heving that type of gun...who knows might want to go to Maine, so I would have to drive through commie states....
    There are companies that make gun vaults for pickup truck beds. I imagine they could do the same for the floor of a good-sized RV. Thing is, if a weapon isn't visible in the driver's compartment, police shouldn't have probable cause to search for weapons. And if the DO have probable cause, they can get a search warrant .

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Friends of ours sold their home when they retired and intended to travel around the country for a couple years. They finally settled down in Florida after five years.

Top Bottom