• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • singlestacker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Porter County
    Shoot a 1911 you may buy and compare the feel with whatever ever else you own. It will either sell itself or it won't. If you choose a decent quality 1911, it will outlive you. If you just want a shooter, buy a Glock, M&P, or an XD. Keep in mind, a decent 1911 will cost almost twice as much as a plastic gun.

hondaCBR

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Indiana
    Put one in your hand, hold it, point with it(safely), and look at it. That's what made me buy one. I had a g19 on layaway and went to pay it off but was advised by a friend to check out a 1911. So I put both on the table and held them. I bought the 1911 because I liked the slim single stack for comfort and it felt better in every way. (Glock guys I still want a g19 so don't even) I am spoiled by this trigger. Every gun from now on its all about the trigger! I could not be happier. This is a gun you can WEAR! It has personality, character, and you either get it or you don't. SO, which one are you?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've shot a 1911 before... a relatives Colt 1911 at that.

Only got a few rounds off before a spring or something broke and the firing pin decided to eject itself.

Can't say my first and only experience was grand.

I had that happen with a Springfield Mil-Spec I bought years ago. It was bought used and I had no idea what the round count was. Like any pistol, a 1911 will wear springs out over time. Some guns have been around a long time without a spring change. In my case, it was caused by a dirty firing pin channel and weak firing pin spring. The firing pin hung up just enough to let the fps drop out. A fresh set of springs and a good cleaning was all the gun needed and it performed perfectly after that. Since then, I make it a habit of putting a fresh set of springs in any used gun I buy that has any level of wear on it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Do you pee standing up?
    Do you love America?
    Then you need a 1911 or a K frame revolver

I notice guys talking about the 1911 trigger. While stock 1911 are 10 times better then then stock plastic pistols, you have not experienced a good trigger until you try one that has been tuned up.

True story. With new shooters I usually carry a 1911 to the range. Or like last night a 1911 an ol K frame. Last night I went to the new indoor range with my boss and his new M&Ps. He bought these on my suggestion. (I a nutshell I tell people to buy an M&P, Glock or Walther PPQ as a good first gun. But that is another story). Interesting thing about plastic guns is they always shoot low left for a right handed shooter and low right for a lefty. This is because they are smashing through the triggers. If the shooters starts to get frustrated (like last night) I switch to a 1911. Once they put shots on target to regain confidence then we can again work with their gun. So yeah triggers make a difference.

Uncortunately a decent entry level 1911 is going to set a person back $800 clams.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have 3 1911's. I have 2 Glocks. Therefore 1911's are better than Glocks and better looking as well.

Wow we have exactly the same number of 1911s in the house as plastic guns. I suppose I need to decide which is best and buy another so we have a clear winner.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I picked up my first one in the late 60s in the USMC. I'd NEVER fired a handgun in my life. Man, what a sweet shooting gun. It was worn out, round count wasn't less than a few hundred thousand I'd guess, and the finish was gone. Rattle box tack driver even for a newbie.
    I've been a 1911 guy since and I've spent a retirement income on ammo on them I'm guessing. I love them.
    I said this when I first joined INGO but the 1911 is like your favorite jeans. It's the most comfortable gun you'll ever grip. The triggers are almost as sweet as that previously mentioned drop dead gorgeous RedHead but the 1911 will keep it's looks long after that RedHead is tripping over her boobs and putting dye in her hair.
    Don't buy cheap 1911s or cheap RedHeads. Neither are worth it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I picked up my first one in the late 60s in the USMC. I'd NEVER fired a handgun in my life. Man, what a sweet shooting gun. It was worn out, round count wasn't less than a few hundred thousand I'd guess, and the finish was gone. Rattle box tack driver even for a newbie.
    I've been a 1911 guy since and I've spent a retirement income on ammo on them I'm guessing. I love them.
    I said this when I first joined INGO but the 1911 is like your favorite jeans. It's the most comfortable gun you'll ever grip. The triggers are almost as sweet as that previously mentioned drop dead gorgeous RedHead but the 1911 will keep it's looks long after that RedHead is tripping over her boobs and putting dye in her hair.
    Don't buy cheap 1911s or cheap RedHeads. Neither are worth it.

^^^This^^^

It's funny how tastes change over time. Maybe not tastes, but more likely understanding. I've spent a lot of time trying to defend lower end 1911s over the years, but while I still think a cheap 1911 is better than no 1911 if it runs, I've come to realize that the real 1911 experience is had with better 1911s. A decent mid level gun with a good frame and slide can be tuned to be a great 1911, but out of the box, it seems to cost a grand minimum and usually closer to $1400 to get a really sweet 1911. There are exceptions, like the early CZ 1911 built by Dan Wesson. That gun was a steal at the low end price of $669 it was selling for around black Friday.

Most of my 1911s are well under that threshold but have been tweaked to bring them up closer to their potential. A couple were good right out of the box, but there are some that took some money to make them shine. If I had it to do over, I'd buy mid level to learn the platform while saving money for a Dan Wesson or better.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Wow we have exactly the same number of 1911s in the house as plastic guns. I suppose I need to decide which is best and buy another so we have a clear winner.

Well, you DID admit in another thread that you take a BUG Glock to the range when you shoot your 1911....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ^^^This^^^

It's funny how tastes change over time. Maybe not tastes, but more likely understanding. I've spent a lot of time trying to defend lower end 1911s over the years, but while I still think a cheap 1911 is better than no 1911 if it runs, I've come to realize that the real 1911 experience is had with better 1911s. A decent mid level gun with a good frame and slide can be tuned to be a great 1911, but out of the box, it seems to cost a grand minimum and usually closer to $1400 to get a really sweet 1911. There are exceptions, like the early CZ 1911 built by Dan Wesson. That gun was a steal at the low end price of $669 it was selling for around black Friday.

Most of my 1911s are well under that threshold but have been tweaked to bring them up closer to their potential. A couple were good right out of the box, but there are some that took some money to make them shine. If I had it to do over, I'd buy mid level to learn the platform while saving money for a Dan Wesson or better.

Over the years I have learned so much about this platform. I have only had 1 "Cheap" 1911 and it had an issue that could have caused great harm and sadness. This issue came from my lack of real knowledge concerning the ammo I ran through it. It self destructed over a short time from digesting some very hot ammo. Not what it was capable of doing.
    I have grown to fully understand what the limitations are with different levels of "Investment" in these guns.
    Even the north of 1K pieces get stripped and gone through as life is way to short to endure poor triggers. I am so spoiled.
    A well tuned 1911 is an experience. A good experience. It will make you look so good at the range.

I have succumbed to the :koolaid: siren song of the CZ platform in the last couple of years due to the fact I am friends with the Typhoid Mary of the CZickness.
    I have several very sweet and highly tuned CZ's now and they are a joy to shoot beyond my expectations.
    2 plastic guns in this mix. 4 are 9mm.............:faint:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well, you DID admit in another thread that you take a BUG Glock to the range when you shoot your 1911....

I used to yes! But now I grew up and was final able to get myself a backup 1911 for my 1911. Before that I had two Glocks. But sadly I traded one of those Glocks off towards my first 1911.

Ya know to this day I still own a couple of Glocks. Just sayin its OK to own both

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What is everyone :whistle::whistle:about? I like Glocks and M&Ps and Walthers and Smith Revolvers and....... In fact I am even considering building up a nice Glock 17 or 34 in case my kid wants that as a first gun. I will give him his choice of a Glock, PPQ or M&P. After all all kids should start with a plastic gun. :cool:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    LOL. Once I'm able to buy one, I'll be letting you guys know first.

Why don't you just come on down here and try out one of my 9mm 1911s? They really are a lot of fun and make sense for those guys not reloading. Judging by the number of "minor" caliber guns showing up in USPSA single stack division I would say the 9mm is here to stay. As we age our hands get weaker so maybe the 9mm 1911 is the wise mans gun.

Top Bottom