• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OP says This is what I was basting my post off of. TS should go correct this in the OP. I didn't read through all of the other posts to find the corrections, lol. :):
    Nice try, the OP's first two sentences
    Ok guys I need some opinions here. Tonight my wife rode along with a friend to speak with our friends landlord because their A/C went out earlier.
    You just gotta slow down, read, comprehend, then respond. Apologies if my bluntness sounds like rudeness.

As for the OP, you have two options and one requirement
    REQUIRED: File appropriate report with police. If not for your wife, for the next person that is assaulted.

1. Hire and attorney and press charges.
    2. Do nothing but be prepared for the next encounter.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Wonder if the replies would have been any different if OP would have said that the stop at the landlady's home was one in a series of errands that the wife's friend was making that day.

Methinks INGO likes to read too much into posts, as well as looking for reasons to criticize.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    It is never a good idea to get into an altercation with someone on "their ground". It looks "bad" to the casual observer and I would think LE as well. She may well have felt threatened and responded, in her mind, logically.

Might want to file a report so that it is on record as this lady does own property next to "your ground" in case of any future problems.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Thanks for the input everyone. My wife was standing on the sidewalk looking toward the street when this woman attacted her from behind. According to her and our friend it was totally unprovoked. Now I found out that earlier today this crazy woman came over to our friends house next door (the one she owns) and verbally assaulted our friends husband! He called the cops on her after she threatened him and they made her leave. He said the cop addressed her by her first name and said "You know I've been here several times before right?" Lol, my wife just wants to wait until she comes over to the neighborhood again and beat the bejesus outta her. Can't say I blame her.:bash:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    definitely file charges. If this lady has the cops calling her by first name and has a history of assaulting people (verbally or otherwise), she needs to be in jail.

Also sounds like your friends need a new landlord. (did I get it right? lol)

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Lol, my wife just wants to wait until she comes over to the neighborhood again and beat the bejesus outta her. Can't say I blame her.

While I can sympathize with your situation, that is a bad idea.

I can understand the frustration in dealing with a person that is NOT of sound mind, but, lowering yourself to their level is NOT the solution.

You really dont want the local P.D. to know you or your wife by the first name.

I would take the advice of some posters and pusue charges; vehemently!

Why the local P.D. has not pursued this is odd, not saying you have been dishonest.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    While I can sympathize with your situation, that is a bad idea.

I can understand the frustration in dealing with a person that is NOT of sound mind, but, lowering yourself to their level is NOT the solution.

You really dont want the local P.D. to know you or your wife by the first name.

I would take the advice of some posters and pusue charges; vehemently!

Why the local P.D. has not pursued this is odd, not saying you have been dishonest.

^^^This^^^

BBill

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Plainfield huh? They are only good for giving tickets for 33 in a 30 or no seatbelt!! No respect for them at ALL!!! I've seen the motorcycle cop going the WRONG way on US 40 looking in cars for seatbelt violations-was hoping someone would open their door on him!!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    In most cities/towns the sidewalk does not belong to the homeowner. It's part of the public space just like the street.
    Unless the laws have recently changed, the tenant has the right to call a repair person, get proper documentation from repair person. Deduct the amount of the repairs from the next months rent while including "copies" of all repair documentation.
    No need to do a face to face with the landlord.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I think your wife needs to pick a new friend. She obviously told her landlord something to make her attack your wife. Why else would she go crazy on your wife if she was just minding her own business with her back to her. This still just sounds too crazy. There HAS to be more to the story.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I think your wife needs to pick a new friend. She obviously told her landlord something to make her attack your wife. Why else would she go crazy on your wife if she was just minding her own business with her back to her. This still just sounds too crazy. There HAS to be more to the story.

BECAUSE THIS WOMAN IS NUTS THATS WHY!?!?! Maybe you've never been around someone with a mental illness. Sometimes these people defy all logic with their actions. Reasonable people can't understand why they do certain things. Just like when someone decides to shoot up a school or something. Everyone always wants to know why. It's because they're wacko.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Rentals proved to be a Catch 22 for repair/service companies. The battery of the friend would not have occurred if the owner of property would have a company in place if needed. When the temp is 100 degrees, don't expect service to be like fireman. These guys are putting out in brutal weather to people who expect 200%. Most customers would either watch you, hanging close enough to sweat on you, or every 2 minutes ask you are "you done yet"? If your lease allows the deduct, good for you. If not, you are subject to the "no answer landlord".

Some service companies refuse to shrug off regular customers for a once in five year call on 100 degree days.(read as Service Contracts) The land lady may be on the "don't pay, don't get" list.

All people need to make friends in all walks of life. Maybe a fishing guy, or a hunt/shooting buddy, Hvac, electrician, plumber, carpenter. This is called prepared.
    Maybe the AC had a loose wire, or out of freon(leak), or just shot old unit.

I gave away lots of 2nd opinions when I was in the service business, fixed a lot of loose wires, and CLEANED a lot of neglected units. Landlords usually stretch the fixes long and few.

Sorry to hear about the battery of the friend, it was not called for. The renter should consider another alternative. How about calling service yourself and find out it is a 2 week wait? Time for the hunt buddy who maybe help wash out the unit, and not create a nightmare. Help each other and don't get in some lunatics face!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Ok guys I need some opinions here. Tonight my wife rode along with a friend to speak with our friends landlord because their A/C went out earlier. The landlord wouldn't return phone calls so she decided to go by the womans house. She only lives a couple miles away. When they arrive my wife waites on the sidewalk as her friend attempts to discuss the situation with the landlord. The landlord woman goes nuts and runs out and attacks my wife! Punches her, pulls her earring out etc. Our friend calls the police and they come out and do nothing! They said that because my wife was on her property there was nothing they could do? She was standing on the sidewalk! My wife didn't defend herself because she said that she didn't want to get arrested so she comes home with a bloody ear, busted lip and bruises all over her arms! Now does this mean that someone has the right to assault someone solely based on the fact that they are on someones property? She never said to leave or to get off her property either so the trespass thing shouldn't apply. I'm beyond pi$$ed here. Does anyone have any advice?:xmad:
    Is the tenant planing on moving out SOON? Nothing like sending your landlord to jail then continuing the landlord/tenant relationship. It's doesn't work well. Now realize that most prosecutors won't file charges based on "walk-ins". They must go through a detective who will walk a probable cause through to support the charges. You just can't walk in and file charges. How bad was the lady hurt? Stitches? Visit to ER? If it was nothing more than a few bruises, she's be better off breaking the lease and moving on. Take it as a lesson learned. Being that I go through the system all the time, I see what a "misd battery" charge carries...non reporting probation. Even another arrest while on probation does not mean a probation violation. The neighbor will loose more time/money going through the circus we call the justice system for a few bruises. Is it right? NO. But this advise is more practical.

Top Bottom