Self Defense Knife (Hey look its a poll!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you carry and use your Self Defense Blade

• Total voters

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    So this Christmas, I decided to buy myself a present.:evilangel:I bought myself a SOG trident tanto in black. Now my problem is that I have never carried a blade for self defense before. I mainly rely on my xd for that, however I have recently seen the need for a blade for when a gun is not applicable.

I have been trying to figure out how I want to carry the knife and have been having some issues. I think I am wanting it as a backup option. Such as, if someone grabs for my gun, I can hold my gun with my strong hand a draw my knife with my weak hand. Does anyone else do this? With all of these people grabbing OC guns, this is the only solution I can think of. A weakness of my EDC if you will. I need to fix it.

So, how do you carry your blade? Do you use is as a retention option? Do you use it strong hand or weak hand?

Just looking for some friendly advice and feed back. Plus I feel like Ingo needed a knife related poll :D

*edit* I forgot to mention you can choose more then one reply and the poll is private.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Fixed blade knife in boot. Depends on the situation which one I'd use. i typically think of my knife as a "back up."

Just a little web jack!! How do you carry the fixed blade in your boot? Clipped to your boot? Strapped to your leg? :dunno:

I carry a fixed blade on my belt weak side so if necessary I can secure the weapon with my strong arm and still get to my knife with my weak arm. :twocents:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    One big question I have is:

What would be considered the appropriate blade length for a SD/BUK (Back up knife ? :D ) blade? Would my Boker Trance be considered sufficient as a backup or would something longer be needed? :)

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I carry 1 knife inside my waistband strong side and 1 in my front change pocket in jeans or clipped inside my waistband in front in pants with no change pocket, weak side dosen't work for me since I'm unable to open a knife with my left hand.

Last edited:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    One big question I have is:

What would be considered the appropriate blade length for a SD/BUK (Back up knife ? :D ) blade? Would my Boker Trance be considered sufficient as a backup or would something longer be needed? :)

Between 2.5" and 4" is awfully efficient at cutting tendons, ligaments, muscles, etc. Without having so much levering force as to worry about the knife leaving your hand when pressure is applied against the blade.

This Is my humble opinion. Others are likely to chime in with their own.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i always have at least 2 usually 3 knives on me all the time. one is general purpose use to cut boxes etc. the other 1 or 2 are for self defense mainly handgun retention. i always have 1 of them weak side pocket and it is assisted opener so i can use it one handed.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Lots of people think the best thing to do is carry your knife so it is either accessible by either hand or by your weak hand so that you could use it if your strong hand held your gun or was busy trying to keep someone from taking your gun away from you. With that in mind I keep my edc knife in my right front pocket, but I keep a Spyderco Harpy IWB on my left side, its a serrated hawk bill knife, and Im pretty sure it could be used to cut someone badly on the hand or arm if they were trying to take my pistol.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    I usually have a least 3 knives with me. front right pocket, back left pocket, and one clipped to right cargo.. most of the time a have a small sak in one of my front pokets also...!!

Top Bottom