Self canceling turn signals not working Chevy Equinox, suggestions please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The last Chevy I took apart still had two springs on the turn signal switch. one for left cancelling, one for right. When one breaks, it knocks the other out of place. Disconnect the battery, pull the Air bag, Pull the steering wheel and see the springs. I was able to buy just the self cancelling springs at the dealership. I have no Idea if the equinox is still the same.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    The last Chevy I took apart still had two springs on the turn signal switch. one for left cancelling, one for right. When one breaks, it knocks the other out of place. Disconnect the battery, pull the Air bag, Pull the steering wheel and see the springs. I was able to buy just the self cancelling springs at the dealership. I have no Idea if the equinox is still the same.
    Thank you.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    As suggested, there used to be two small springs that a cam on the steering shaft would press against and shut off the signal. Some used a short plastic arm that accomplished the same thing. The springs can be replaced, the short plastic arms could not be replaced, the signal switch assembly had to be replaced. Be aware that in addition to disconnecting the battery to disable the airbag system, you will need to wait a few minutes for the capacitor in the airbag module to discharge to prevent unwanted deployment. Good luck.

Reactions: Leo

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I had a similar issue in my grandma's old car when I bought it (I think it was that car)

Annoying, yes. But it was a 1991 Regal and this was like 2012.

I just cancelled them myself when I made a turn.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    OP here, trying to train myself to remember to cancel them but hearing impaired and usually will drive several minutes till the louder audible comes on. Drives my wife crazier!
    Pay back?

Top Bottom