SEEDS: Who has bought them? Where? Why did you pick them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Seeds: Who has bought garden seeds?:twocents:

Where did you buy? Local or internet? Heirloom or Hybrids?:twocents:

Why did you pick 1 brand/seller over others?:twocents:

I understand the difference between Heirloom or Hybrids, but wonder what you are buying. Most retail and farm stores in My area (eastern Allen County) sell only hybrids, and that is all I have grown for years, but I am looking to possibly grow Heirloom this year and DEFINITELY looking to stock up on some Heirloom for the future. Also, any tips, links, or words of wisdom from Grandpa's ( he taught me how to garden at his place growing up) on gardening, selection of veggies or canning.

Wow, that's easy. It doesn't look like I'm asking for too much does it?:patriot:

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I buy bulk seed from a local feed store. The price and quality has always been good. Germination percentage has been excellent. I buy my friut trees from Stark exclusively. I've had bad luck with Gurney trees.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I buy bulk seed from a local feed store. The price and quality has always been good. Germination percentage has been excellent. I buy my friut trees from Stark exclusively. I've had bad luck with Gurney trees.

Hmm.. Good to know. I will have to keep an eye on em.

So far so good... When did the problems crop up? Later on?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I haven't made a seed purchase yet this year. Checked a few local garden/farm supply stores and all they have is hybrids. I don't think that fits my plan and want to practice harvesting my seed...Heirlooms only for me. Last year was my first year with them and we had some bad luck. I still have a bunch of seed left from last year and the year before. Radishes already popping up and the only other gardening I've got done is the herbs and strawberries so far. Going to go check out rural king in a little while, I need to at least get some stuff started. Trees and bushes/brambles I tend to start from cuttings taken from neighbors and friends.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Hybrids for me they grow better. They may not reproduce exactly the same but I have a ton of seed.

Why do you save the seeds from hybrid vegetables? It's kind of a waste of time. You might get something worth eating on the second generation but after that, don't get your hopes up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I get mine from rareseeds.com, thought as this is my first year growing I can't say more than that they sprout :D. All heirloom, and despite the name the seeds don't seem to be rare to me :dunno: The actual supplier's name is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I chose them mainly because they are near us (Missouri) and I'm hoping that the plants that grow from their seed will be more acclimated to our climate than, say, Johhny's Seeds that are grown in California.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Seeds from Italy
    I usually get heirloom varieties. There are a few hybrids that I get (sweet corn for one). I get several of my seeds from the above. Before you decide they are expensive, compare the quantity. I was getting tired of buying seeds from Burpee and only finding 10-12 seeds for some things. I also noticed that most of their seeds were coming from China. I buy my main crop corn and beans bulk bags from a local garden store.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Why do you save the seeds from hybrid vegetables? It's kind of a waste of time. You might get something worth eating on the second generation but after that, don't get your hopes up.

Just to test. I pick and choose what varieties produce the best and most end up being hybrids. I buy a ton when they go on sale. Some end up sterile some work fine. If they work once I have doubled my stores.

My point was its more important to actually grow something to see what works. Like having a gun and never going to the range.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Just to test. I pick and choose what varieties produce the best and most end up being hybrids. I buy a ton when they go on sale. Some end up sterile some work fine. If they work once I have doubled my stores.

My point was its more important to actually grow something to see what works. Like having a gun and never going to the range.
    The problem is that seed produced from a hybrid strain will NOT produce the same as when it was first planted. It MAY take characteristics from one of the original strains used to make the hybrid, it MAY not produce at all or it MAY (if open pollinated) produce yet another bastardized strain. If the original hybrid made big abundant "fruit", you can bet the resulting seed won't. Point being that the characteristics it takes on will most often be those that make big leaves, strong stalk, pest resistant root structure, etc....but not usually going to produce much useful "fruit"...This is why Monsanto and Cargil pushed the organic farming bill through congress, due to cross pollination in their hybrid seed crops...so they claim.

ETA when growing heirloom varieties you can make your own hybrids taking the characteristics you desire from the original heirloom strains.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I fully understand the problems with using hybrid seeds. I am not planning on relying on them I just test how they do. For most of my garden the hybrids produce much better. I am all about results now and preserving those results. I have a basic store of heirlooms but they are not in my use rotation.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Ill have to look up what store I bought my heirlooms from. Everything I've planted has sprouted so far.

Top Bottom