SEEDS: Who has bought them? Where? Why did you pick them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I'm loving this input, but 1 thing I should have stressed in my 1st post is: Is anyone buying the EMERGENCY FOOD PLOT seeds or survival seeds that offer a # of varieties and enough quantity to plant a 1/2 acre or so? AND if so, who are you buying from?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    i like SeedSavers too. i also have had a lot of luck with parkseed.com and cooksgarden.com. i have seeds from Parks that I've stored in the fridge for several years, and they still germinate well. i bought a few things from Burpee this year, and it might just be me, but the tomato and eggplant aren't germinating very well.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm loving this input, but 1 thing I should have stressed in my 1st post is: Is anyone buying the EMERGENCY FOOD PLOT seeds or survival seeds that offer a # of varieties and enough quantity to plant a 1/2 acre or so? AND if so, who are you buying from?

I have a feeling that people who are buying the "emergency seed packs" are people who do not currently garden, but have gardening as their backup plan.

If this is you, I urgently suggest not waiting until the SHTF to start gardening. Start gardening now, growing foods that you eat. You will need the time and experience to learn to be a successful gardener (which includes successful storage of harvest).

You also don't have to start out with a 1/2 acre garden either. If you want to start small, pick a sunny 12' x 12' plot and grow just a packet of plants and see what happens. Then, the next year, double or triple the size. While doing so, read everything you can about gardening.
    Purdue Extension Garden TIPS - Your online resource for Indiana gardening information

I'm on my 4th year now, and I'm still learning and making mistakes. Every mistake will cost you one growing season. For SHTF purposes, I tend to buy next year's seeds this year.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I bought a can of seed from Emergency Essentials a few years ago and keep the can sealed in my refer...It is strictly a backup plan and is ready to grab and go in a hurry if need be.

I have a feeling that people who are buying the "emergency seed packs" are people who do not currently garden, but have gardening as their backup plan.

If this is you, I urgently suggest not waiting until the SHTF to start gardening. Start gardening now, growing foods that you eat. You will need the time and experience to learn to be a successful gardener (which includes successful storage of harvest).

You also don't have to start out with a 1/2 acre garden either. If you want to start small, pick a sunny 12' x 12' plot and grow just a packet of plants and see what happens. Then, the next year, double or triple the size. While doing so, read everything you can about gardening.
    Purdue Extension Garden TIPS - Your online resource for Indiana gardening information

I'm on my 4th year now, and I'm still learning and making mistakes. Every mistake will cost you one growing season. For SHTF purposes, I tend to buy next year's seeds this year.
    This is excellent advise, when the SHTF you won't make it through a single mistake as you will be left without food for at least a year. I have a fair amount of experience gardening and still have trouble sometimes. It isn't exactly like riding a bike, it is a skill that needs to be practiced and honed regularly. Also, no matter how much you know, there will always be something new popping up..no pun intended.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Bought seeds at Meijer. My 3 year old daughter and I planted strawberries, carrots, beans, squash, tomatos, pumpkins, watermelons and sunflowers. We started our first garden last year. Grew three tomatos so we are hoping for a better crop this year. Bunnies destroyed our garden last year. :ar15:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Bought seeds at Meijer. My 3 year old daughter and I planted strawberries, carrots, beans, squash, tomatos, pumpkins, watermelons and sunflowers. We started our first garden last year. Grew three tomatos so we are hoping for a better crop this year. Bunnies destroyed our garden last year. :ar15:
    Ouch on the maters....Are you sure there weren't "horn worms" on the vines? They can be pretty well camouflaged and will prevent them from fruiting.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    That is how this thread seems to me as well.

If you don't grow now, at least buy some T5 High output lights and set up some indoor growing. Also learn to germinate seeds properly and then start the plants indoors under the T5's using a good medium or good potting soil.

As for the H/O T5's. By the the end of 2012 all my T12's and 8's will be gone and replaced with 54 watt H/O T5's. Not just those used for growing but the shop, gun bench, garage, shed, etc...all of them. For me, right now T5's are the next new thing and I am loving them.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I bought a can of seed from Emergency Essentials a few years ago and keep the can sealed in my refer...It is strictly a backup plan and is ready to grab and go in a hurry if need be.

This is excellent advise, when the SHTF you won't make it through a single mistake as you will be left without food for at least a year. I have a fair amount of experience gardening and still have trouble sometimes. It isn't exactly like riding a bike, it is a skill that needs to be practiced and honed regularly. Also, no matter how much you know, there will always be something new popping up..no pun intended.
    30 years gardening experience here. Last year we moved. Besides being in a new location, the Spring here was way outside the norm, late, cold and wet. In April and May we got our butts handed to us.

I planted some beds 4 times before I got every issue worked out around Memorial Day weekend.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    30 years gardening experience here. Last year we moved. Besides being in a new location, the Spring here was way outside the norm, late, cold and wet. In April and May we got our butts handed to us.

I planted some beds 4 times before I got every issue worked out around Memorial Day weekend.
    Yeah, I got washed out twice, then had to wait for the ground to dry out before I could prep the soil AGAIN.....got a late start and many of my root type veggies suffered stunted cores due to being inside too long....Once I got everything in the ground everything seemed great until the hornworms, then the blight, then.....last year was a constant battle for me.

mdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Bought some Burpee's seeds from menards last week for my 2nd year garden. Does any one know the last avg frost date for Indiana, or when will it be safe to plant outside? Still have to buy my plants.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yeah, I got washed out twice, then had to wait for the ground to dry out before I could prep the soil AGAIN.....got a late start and many of my root type veggies suffered stunted cores due to being inside too long....Once I got everything in the ground everything seemed great until the hornworms, then the blight, then.....last year was a constant battle for me.
    We are just renting this house, planned to stay here 4 years, not now. Moving in the Fall so we can be set up before 2013 season starts.

Here, I had to move all my beds for this year to better deal with issues. Even if we get a mild year, too many variables, makes me nuts. I also got in on a large garden with a friend farther inland (away from the lakefront) so I am hedging my bets that way too. A smaller third one at a neighbors church.

It is work, there is no luck to any of this. You need more than seeds in a jar.

Indy500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I bought a variety of heirloom seeds ar Menards. They are pre-priced at 59 cents but they are almost always on some kind of discount.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Bought some Burpee's seeds from menards last week for my 2nd year garden. Does any one know the last avg frost date for Indiana, or when will it be safe to plant outside? Still have to buy my plants.

We have stuff out already, it is dependant on the type of plant... our peas have been out for about a month and our brocolli and cauliflower are in now too. Other stuff is still in the garage though.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN

Indiana Planting Calendar:
    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-186.pdf

Purdue has all sorts of free .pdf documents related to gardening. I strongly suggest you (especially beginners) check them out:

Purdue University Garden Publications

Purdue Extension Garden TIPS - Fruits and Vegetables

Top Bottom