• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    After being stuck in traffic again over here on the west side of Indy due to a private security guard blocking the road, I began to wonder about the legality of this. The situation involves private security guards of a few companies that will walk out into the middle of the road with a stop sign to block traffic so that their employees can get out of the parking lot easier. I assume they are private security as they have no marked vehicles or badges that I've seen. My issue with this, other than that it's a PITA, is that it's not very safe. I'm just waiting to see a crash because of all the traffic along a busy stretch of road checking up because of this situation.

Does anyone know if it's legal for private security to block a public road so that employees can get out easier? If not, does anyone know what I can do about it? Would the Mayor's Action Center be of assistance?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    When I was about 10, my fifth grade class would walk out into roads with stop signs and bright reddish orange belts with shoulder straps to stop traffic. I don't know about the legality, but I know everyone stopped when we did it. :dunno:

(Of course, we had badges back then, too...)
    aaa_school_patrol_6_piece_set.jpg

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    When I was about 10, my fifth grade class would walk out into roads with stop signs and bright reddish orange belts with shoulder straps to stop traffic. I don't know about the legality, but I know everyone stopped when we did it. :dunno:

(Of course, we had badges back then, too...)
    aaa_school_patrol_6_piece_set.jpg

Must have been a big school, we didn't have a Sergeant rank at my school!

So they can do it because people give them the power to do it by stopping? So the next time I'm trying to turn on a busy road I can just send my friend out into traffic to cause a traffic jam so it's more convenient for me? If I can just find someone willing to carry the stop sign out there...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Must have been a big school, we didn't have a Sergeant rank at my school!

So they can do it because people give them the power to do it by stopping? So the next time I'm trying to turn on a busy road I can just send my friend out into traffic to cause a traffic jam so it's more convenient for me? If I can just find someone willing to carry the stop sign out there...

Not that big, but I can't tell you how many students. Too long ago! :oldwise:

I should clarify that that pic was found on the internet. I managed to find a captain's and a lieutenant's badge years back, but I don't know what's happened to them now. :dunno:

As for the stop signs... I haven't researched it, but I don't think there's a law that you have to be a cop to direct traffic, otherwise anyone doing so at an accident scene before they get there would get busted when they arrived.

LEOs? Thoughts?

Blessings,
    Bill

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington
    The alternative might be a stop light, which would cost taxpayer dollars to install and maintain, and would likely be operative all day, thereby delaying traffic at non-peak times, as well. Even if set up on a sensor, everytime somebody needed to leave the site, the light would cycle. It may be that, in this instance, having security direct traffic is the best option all around.

Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Or people could just wait their turn like we all have to. You just got out of work so your more important than me? I don't think so. Private security has no authority to stop traffic. If you don't like how long it takes to get out of the parking lot, find a different job, or park somewhere else. The whole mentality of blocking everyone elses commute to let their employees through is wrong!

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I am Outraged!!!
    In the sixth grade, we only had the silver AAA badge.... I never even knew about the other ranks.
    But, I did get to wear the white bandolier with my badge pinned to it.
    Man, I was coooool.:chuck:

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington
    Or people could just wait their turn like we all have to. You just got out of work so your more important than me? I don't think so. Private security has no authority to stop traffic. If you don't like how long it takes to get out of the parking lot, find a different job, or park somewhere else. The whole mentality of blocking everyone elses commute to let their employees through is wrong!

You raise a valid point, certainly. A balance needs to be struck between keeping the flow of traffic moving, and allowing large employers to quickly and efficiently move employees in and out of their facility. As far as turning down or quitting a job based on how long the wait to leave a parking lot is seems impractical in todays economy, where having a job at all is a blessing. I'm not saying it's right, but it may be that periodically directing traffic at these locations is preferable in the long run to installing new traffic devices. However, without knowing the specifics of the road in question or the traffic patterns, it's a little tough to say.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    After the second delay, I'd have found a new way home.

Well, if there were a better way to get home then I would have taken it. Since there isn't, it only makes it more of a PITA and doesn't change an inherently dangerous situation.

I realize this is a minor issue, but my concern is for the danger of the situation and how easily it could be rectified if I knew who to contact. The fact that it snarls traffic for blocks in both directions during rush hour is just a bonus for all involved. :noway:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Well, if there were a better way to get home then I would have taken it. Since there isn't, it only makes it more of a PITA and doesn't change an inherently dangerous situation.

I realize this is a minor issue, but my concern is for the danger of the situation and how easily it could be rectified if I knew who to contact. The fact that it snarls traffic for blocks in both directions during rush hour is just a bonus for all involved. :noway:
    Any more dangerous than 500 people trying to get out of a parking lot during rush hour traffic unassisted? I'd rather be tied up in traffic for a few minutes than risk being involved in an accident.

Why should I have to change myself or what I do for someone else?!:dunno:
    It's not all about numero uno. Your position in the pecking order is no more or no less important than let's say the 500 people attempting to get out of that parking lot. They pay taxes for the same road.

Seriously?? You're not serious...are you?? Surely not... Quit their job because you're pi$$ed that you're tied up in traffic a few minutes?? Oh...it was meant to be humorous...I get it now!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Carrier uses off-duty IMPD personnel in marked cars for this. Wood Mizer and the Westside Garden Home use private contractors for this. All of them have caused me delays but the delays they cause are minimal compared to what would be happening if they weren't there. I do say that I prefer to take direction from someone in a police car than a 300# woman in a poorly fitted vest driving a 1984 Taurus with more rust than paint. Hey, I guess I'm an authority snob!

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington
    Not to mention, what kind of delays would be experienced after a vehicular accident caused by an employee trying to leave and getting t-boned? When I have experienced this, it seems to aid the overall flow of traffic.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Carrier uses off-duty IMPD personnel in marked cars for this. Wood Mizer and the Westside Garden Home use private contractors for this. All of them have caused me delays but the delays they cause are minimal compared to what would be happening if they weren't there. I do say that I prefer to take direction from someone in a police car than a 300# woman in a poorly fitted vest driving a 1984 Taurus with more rust than paint. Hey, I guess I'm an authority snob!
    :+1:for all of this.

All traffic guards should look like this... :D

416OldF1g4L._LAMESSI_.jpg

Top Bottom