• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Can anyone recommend a camera to me? This is what I'm looking for.

wired
    outdoor (I can add a cover for protection)
    Identify license plates out to 100ft
    would be nice to identify faces out to 50ft
    night illumination (A standard street light lights the area at about 100ft out)
    Color preferred
    Maybe around $300.00 per camera

Thanks

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not sure its possible within your price range. Unless you add a "0" to the end.

You will definitely need 2 cameras. Both will have to be weatherproof, armored IP cameras as opposed to the digital to analog cameras that are so very common. You'll also then need an IP compatible DVR (or computer board) to capture the images.

You will definitely need an IP camera with a very good zoom for the license plate recognition, most security cameras set up to record license plates are quite literally within 10' of the license plate.

Even a good quality security camera struggles with facial recognition at 25'.

Look to a professional video company for your real answers. I have a very elaborate set up with multiple DVRs, cameras spread across 3 building, some of my cameras are well above your specified price and they will not do what you are asking for.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Do you want to recognize plates on cars that are moving (and if moving, how fast), or stationary, and how large an area do you want to cover?

You'll need a combination of sufficient resolution and speed depending on what you want to do. Larger areas and longer distances will require more resolution. Camera placement and viewing angle will also affect your ability to recognize faces and license plates.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What kind of prices are you talking? Got links to anything?
    One of my best friends owns a video survelliance company, so I get my equipment at dealer cost. My home equipment is spread out over 3 buildings and overlooks several acres. Its the same type of equipment you'd find protecting upscale retail/commercial settings, but it is 1 step below the commercial "IP" cameras. I have 2 DVRs, connected by ethernet to each other, I have a half dozen IR long range flood lamps supporting almost 2 dozen IR 700TVL cameras that are color in the day and B&W at night. Its a very good set up, but it still won't do what you want to do.

I don't know where in Indiana you live, but you really need to talk to a professional video installer to understand what a video system is capable of doing for you. What you want is what they show on TV shows like C.S.I. and that stuff is pretty much a myth. The stuff that does what you want comes at a high price.

I've played with stuff that can tell the difference between a man and a dog in DENSE FOG when the whole screen is simply a white haze. I've played with mega buck cameras that can zoom a quarter mile and see your smile. Because of my friend's company, he actually uses me as a "test site" to test out some of the new technologies before he installs the really good stuff at high end installations. Some of the DVRs can cost upwards of $10-$15,000.00. The cameras can run $3000 to $50,000 each.

I am presuming what you will get is something like a VITEK, BOSCH or SAMSUNG camera when you complete your search. They start about $300 and go up. They are worth the extra cost. I personally have some VITEK stuff and its very good. But its not going to give what you want.

Here's a link to some advice I gave a guy a few weeks ago, with the link to the cameras that I use on Amazon..https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/236660-security_camera.html
    Those cameras are a couple generations old in terms of resolution, they won't even begin to give facial recognition or license plate recognition at the distances at which are requested. At best those are probably 480TVL cameras, most wireless cameras are necessarily lower resolution. I noticed that those claim 40' of night vision. My experience with numerous brands of IR night vision is that they are actually only effective to 50% of their claimed distances, that is why I suppliment mine with IR flood lights.

Do you want to recognize plates on cars that are moving (and if moving, how fast), or stationary, and how large an area do you want to cover?

You'll need a combination of sufficient resolution and speed depending on what you want to do. Larger areas and longer distances will require more resolution. Camera placement and viewing angle will also affect your ability to recognize faces and license plates.
    EXCELLENT QUESTIONS.

Given the distances he needs MEGA-PIXEL resolution or he needs a tightly focused high quality ZOOM lens, which dramatically narrows his field of view to a small spot. With the zoom, he will also need a long range IR flood/spot light for nighttime illumination. And that won't work on moving vehicles. In fact I doubt a MP camera under good lighting conditions will read a license plate on a moving vehicle at 100' unless the camera is mounted specifically to see the license plate and the car is moving at a slow rate of speed.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We have IP dome cameras at work that pan tilt zoom that cost well over 1,000 each and they are not capable of what you want.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Melensdad is far more experienced with this than I, so I'll just sit back and listen for the most part.

I would echo his suggestion to get a pro involved if this is a critical application.

There are industry rules of thumb. For example, for facial identification 40 pixels per foot is often thought of as a minimum. So, if you're monitoring a 20' wide entrance, you'll need a resolution of 800 pixels. I've heard that U.S. license plates should be about 130 pixels wide (or letters/numbers 15 pixels high) at your monitored distance, and etc.

The point is, a pro will know things like this.

Here's an online tutorial to give you an idea of some of the issues involved:
    http://www.axis.com/edu/identification/index.htm

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    We have IP dome cameras at work that pan tilt zoom that cost well over 1,000 each and they are not capable of what you want.

Brandon, the other thing with the PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom) cameras is that they are only effective when someone is actually operating them. The PTZ functions don't operate on auto-pilot. Someone has to operate the joystick and the zoom controls to monitor movement.

A lot of people think that they can buy a PTZ and it will solve their problem. It usually creates more problems than its worth. 2 or 3 cameras that overlap an area provide much better coverage than one ACTIVELY CONTROLLED pan/tilt/zoom camera.

There are now IP cameras that are fixed, but operate with a software technology called "Video IQ" and those can track multiple movements in multiple areas of the screen, they can 'recognize' humans and disregard wildlife. I think those cameras start about $3000.00 and can get really expensive! They are fun to play with :):

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Melensdad is far more experienced with this than I, so I'll just sit back and listen for the most part.

I would echo his suggestion to get a pro involved if this is a critical application.

There are industry rules of thumb. For example, for facial identification 40 pixels per foot is often thought of as a minimum. So, if you're monitoring a 20' wide entrance, you'll need a resolution of 800 pixels. I've heard that U.S. license plates should be about 130 pixels wide (or letters/numbers 15 pixels high) at your monitored distance, and etc.

The point is, a pro will know things like this.

Here's an online tutorial to give you an idea of some of the issues involved:
    Introduction, Identification and Recognition Tutorial | Axis Communications
    My friend just showed up and he and I are re-reading this thread while smoking a couple GOD OF FIRE cigars. He just gave me a price for an AXIS license plate recognition camera, installed its roughly $5000. The camera alone is going to be about $3200, the software to run it is going to be another $1200, plus installation.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Axis is what the office runs, both dome ptz and fixed mounts. I am not sure if we got their "cheap" line, but I don't think it was worth the money we paid for them. This is while I sit and watch my home set up on the monitor next to work's setup.

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Great info so far. I am having some professionals quote I just want to do my research and see what I could find out here.

Top Bottom