• ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Hello all,

I am looking for a security camera that I can put by my front door so I can see who is there when I get a knock/ring of doorbell and am looking for suggestions.

Features I would like to have;
    - decent quality picture
    - must be able to work at night with IR
    - wide angle as there is not much space on my front porch
    - would like a dome because I understand they are harder to tamper with
    - wireless video transmission (Can't seem to find a way to run a wire to my router.)
    - would like for video to be viewed on ipads

Does one exist with all the features I would like? If so, could you please recommend it? If not, could you please post a recommendation of one that has some of those features?

Thanks!

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Here is a link to the one that we use on my family's farm. We were having trouble with scrap metal being stolen.

I like the fact that the cameras work well at night and don't emit too much light as a telltale sign of a camera. They are not dome cameras, but we placed them high up on a barn so it wasn't a concern for us. The wireless transmission works well. We have it hooked up to an old TV. You can take the card out and view it in a laptop, I'm not sure about an Ipad. The picture quality is pretty good. You can set it to record at a certain time or off of a motion trigger. It took maybe 2 hrs to set up everything and get it in place. Below is the link. I hope it helps.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y73Q4I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00]Amazon.com: Defender PX301-013 Digital Wireless DVR Security System Receiver with SD Card Recording and 2 Long Range Night Vision Surveillance Cameras: Camera & Photo[/ame]

mikero429

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    your best option will be to hire someone. If you want a basic set up you can usually get them at your local retailer for about 100-4000 bucks. Almost all cameras now come with an online service. This is the exact reason i dont want to put them in my house. I know how easy it is hack thanks to some friends and I don't want any one watching me without knowing it. As long as you avoid the cheapest brands you will get all of the options you have listed plus usually night vision of some sort. Check out Sears, Miejers, and any local electronics stores for the best deals. You will have to run some type of wire for power but it's not very hard to find a way to do it usually.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Here is a link to the one that we use on my family's farm. We were having trouble with scrap metal being stolen.

I like the fact that the cameras work well at night and don't emit too much light as a telltale sign of a camera. They are not dome cameras, but we placed them high up on a barn so it wasn't a concern for us. The wireless transmission works well. We have it hooked up to an old TV. You can take the card out and view it in a laptop, I'm not sure about an Ipad. The picture quality is pretty good. You can set it to record at a certain time or off of a motion trigger. It took maybe 2 hrs to set up everything and get it in place. Below is the link. I hope it helps.

Amazon.com: Defender PX301-013 Digital Wireless DVR Security System Receiver with SD Card Recording and 2 Long Range Night Vision Surveillance Cameras: Camera & Photo

Thank you for sharing a product you have experience with. This seems to have most of what I am looking for. My only concern with this one is the field of view as I would like to have the camera installed in a certain spot that very close to the front door.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't know what your layout is, but while you are shopping, a web cam in a window might fill the bill. Combined up with a motion light on the front door, it might even serve all of your needs.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    For a non domed camera it has a good, but not great or amazing viewing angle. It has worked pretty well for what we have needed it for. The kit actually comes with 2 cameras and you can add 2 additional cameras for a total of 4 cameras on the system. It may be overkill in your situation, but it would be one way to get a wider view.

Top Bottom