• ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    "A well regulated Militia..." Let's see what a militia actually is:

mi·li·tia - noun

1. a body of citizens enrolled for military service, and called out periodically for drill but serving full time only in emergencies.

2.a body of citizen soldiers as distinguished from professional soldiers.

3. all able-bodied males considered by law eligible for military service.

4.a body of citizens organized in a paramilitary group and typically regarding themselves as defenders of individual rights against the presumed interference of the federal government.

All those definitions are relevant, but I highlighted the two most relevant to discussion of the 2nd Amendment. And note that in ALL the definitions it specifically refers to CITIZENS, civilians, and NOT professional military / soldiers, etc.

If the federal government maintains the authority to equip and deploy the militia, why would it be necessary to include an amendment protecting the militia’s ability to arm itself? If the militia (by nature an armed body) is to be maintained by the federal government, surely it would not also need protection from that very same governing body.
    Good! IF the Federal Government is supposed to equip the 'militia', and I'M part of the militia, I WANT my damn M4, Beretta, M60, et. al. AND the ammunition to run 'em.

I'm tired of spending my own damn money on guns! :D

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    Its become very annoying to listen to the anti-gunners spew their ignorance on the phrase "well regulated". As said in your summary, it means well prepared or in order, not having limitations as many seem to believe. A simple lesson on 18th century language would prove any doubt. However, the second amendment continues to be violated with the current laws and limitations. Nice write up

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    "A well regulated Militia..." Let's see what a militia actually is:

Ok your off to a good start, but you can not seperate regulated, with the original intent of the word meaning regular, not regulated as in the sense of government intervention and regulatons. Reguar as penned means Regular consitent etc. And the purpose of the militia was to ensure the defense of the state, ie the people in order to secure their liberty and safety. Sorry liberals this also goes to dispell the myth that citizens were not supposed to have the same small arms as the military. It is amazing what you can find out when you read such things as the federalist papers, the Bill of Rights etc

Last edited:

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Good! IF the Federal Government is supposed to equip the 'militia', and I'M part of the militia, I WANT my damn M4, Beretta, M60, et. al. AND the ammunition to run 'em.

I'm tired of spending my own damn money on guns! :D

No doubt!

Its become very annoying to listen to the anti-gunners spew their ignorance on the phrase "well regulated". As said in your summary, it means well prepared or in order, not having limitations as many seem to believe. A simple lesson on 18th century language would prove any doubt. However, the second amendment continues to be violated with the current laws and limitations. Nice write up

They often have no interest in facts unfortunately. The reason I started the blog was to provide people with talking points to sway people in the middle. Those who are truly our opponents tune out factual/historical arguments.

Top Bottom