Not open for further replies.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Man, of all the Saturdays I choose to host a student event! :xmad: Sombody eat a couple of bacon-wrapped brats for me. :bacondance:

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Does anyone up in NWI know of any places with reasonably priced 9mm IN STOCK? I called all three Walmarts in the Lafayette area, and not a single one had ANY 9mm FMJ in stock or even any at their warehouses...:dunno:

I won't be in DA REGION until mid to late afternoon on Friday. I don't need a ton of 9mm, but I was hoping to pick up ~100 rounds or so, preferably in a "Value Pack". If anyone in NWI knows where 9mm is currently in stock and are also going to the Meet-N-Shoot, I would be very grateful if you picked me up a box or two and brought them on Saturday. I would happily pay you back at the shoot and also let you shoot a few mags through any of my guns! :D :ar15:

If you're not willing to do that, please let me know who has any 9mm in stock and I'll try to get some as soon as I get into town on Friday! :nailbite:

Thanks guys & gals! :ingo:
    John

The Merrillville WM has some everytime i go in there.
    If you dont mind using Federal...or Tulammo, those are always the cheapest and i havent had any problem with either.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    The Merrillville WM has some everytime i go in there.
    If you dont mind using Federal...or Tulammo, those are always the cheapest and i havent had any problem with either.

I'm not a huge fan of TulAmmo, but I like Federal and Winchester. Thanks for the heads up! I actually pass through Merrillville on my way to Valpo. Hopefully they'll still have some in stock Friday! :D

As another random question: Would those of you attending the Meet-N-Shoot rather have two rifle competitions to split up the individuals using scopes from those using iron sights? Or do you iron sight users like the challenge of being put up against scopes, with the added bonus of superior bragging rights if you place? :dunno:

Alternatively, if The PF thinks there will be enough time, I was thinking about going further with the two competition idea by allowing everyone to shoot in BOTH competitions, assuming they own or can borrow a rifle with iron sights and one with a scope. :ar15:

What say ye Region Rats?

:popcorn:

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Goober 135, Whats cheap to you ?

I believe the Walmart down here usually sells 100 rounds of 9mm FMJ for $20-$25. I suppose I'd call that cheap? :dunno:

*EDIT* - My tired mind may be playing tricks on me about what my local Walmart sells 100rds of 9mm for. Regardless, I'm fairly certain it is in the $20-$30 range, and I believe that to be "cheap".

Last edited:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Just wanted to know what you were looking for, always keeping a eye out for cheap ammo myself, but for the most part I reload my 9mm's and with lead 125GR bullets it comes out to about 6.00 per 50 rounds, plus my time but I don't charge myself for my time soooo..

I haven't seen any for 10.00 per 50 lately that is brass cased, Cabelas has brass cased for 12.99 per 50 right now, and in a couple days it will be 10.99 a box with thier mailed out coupon... Let you know if I see something cheap though.... If you want to try a couple of my reloads in your pistol your free to do so, been reloading for about 20 something years now, don't normally have any problems with my loads...

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Just wanted to know what you were looking for, always keeping a eye out for cheap ammo myself, but for the most part I reload my 9mm's and with lead 125GR bullets it comes out to about 6.00 per 50 rounds, plus my time but I don't charge myself for my time soooo..

I haven't seen any for 10.00 per 50 lately that is brass cased, Cabelas has brass cased for 12.99 per 50 right now, and in a couple days it will be 10.99 a box with thier mailed out coupon... Let you know if I see something cheap though.... If you want to try a couple of my reloads in your pistol your free to do so, been reloading for about 20 something years now, don't normally have any problems with my loads...

Alright. Thanks for the info! I have never shot any lead bullets through any of my guns, but I'm not really opposed to that option. For what reasons would someone be opposed to shooting lead bullets in their guns? :dunno:

I will definitely have to try out some of your reloads. Additionally, if you're interested, I would be willing to buy some of your reloads, assuming that they cycled fine in my Beretta and the $6 + cost of labor doesn't exceed store price. Obviously, I understand if you wouldn't want to do that. Just throwing it out there! ;)

Anyone have any thoughts on my rifle competition question? :dunno:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Valpo Wal-Mart had Winchester for $12 or $13/50 last weekend. It was all they had, but they had 10 boxes or so. If I am over that way I can grab a couple of boxes for you.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @Goober135

$10.99 for 9mm box of 50 brass ammo at Cabela's starting 26 APR - 05 MAY WITH coupon. I have one of these coupons and will be at Cabela's tomorrow to pick up some stuff for the meet & shoot. Do you want a box of this ammo? It's Cabela's brand of ammo.

-Jedi

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Valpo Wal-Mart had Winchester for $12 or $13/50 last weekend. It was all they had, but they had 10 boxes or so. If I am over that way I can grab a couple of boxes for you.

Winchester is fine with me. I usually buy the 100rd boxes of .40 for my Beretta 96FS and haven't had any problems. Coincidently, the 9mm will also be shot through my 96FS, as i recently bought a 9mm barrel and mags.:): Do you happen to know if Winchester sells 9mm in 100rd "value packs" and if they do, for how much? If not, or if they don't have any in stock, I would greatly appreciate it if you would pick me up a box or two of the Winchester 50rds. I'll let you know exactly how many as soon as Jedi responds to me about the Cabela's ammo! Thanks! :D

Also, as one last question, do you happen to know if there is a lot of .45 ammo in stock? I specifically remember struggling to find that as well before the last Meet-N-Shoot, but I'm not super worried about it.

@Goober135

$10.99 for 9mm box of 50 brass ammo at Cabela's starting 26 APR - 05 MAY WITH coupon. I have one of these coupons and will be at Cabela's tomorrow to pick up some stuff for the meet & shoot. Do you want a box of this ammo? It's Cabela's brand of ammo.

-Jedi

I've never tried Cabela's ammo, nor have I ever heard any reviews. If you think it's decent ammo, I'll trust your judgment and pay you back on Saturday if you buy a box. Thanks! :D

P.S. - I just received approval from Jedi to do my "New & Improved" Rifle Competition! I won't give out all the details yet and ruin the surprise, but for those of you who have competed in my previous rifle competitions, this one is going to be MUCH different! Just like the show Top Shot, we're going to find out who is the best marksman with ANY rifle! ;)

As a reminder, the prizes for the last rifle competition were as follows:

1st Place - $10 Cash or 1yr Site Supporter Status (paid by me)
    2nd Place - $5 Gas Card
    3rd Place - One Crisp George Washington! ;)

Who knows what the prizes will be this time, but you better bring your A game!
    :ar15:

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I've never tried Cabela's ammo, nor have I ever heard any reviews. If you think it's decent ammo, I'll trust your judgment and pay you back on Saturday if you buy a box. Thanks! :D

I have NO experience with Cabela's brass ammo. I have use their steel case .30 carbine and 7.62x39 ammo before with no issues. It's russian made ammo that gets the Cabela's brand logo on it.

Here is the pricing for ammo this week at Cabela's that I know of.
    Cabela's has coupons for the following:

Herter's Ammo (Cabela's brand of ammo)
    9mm BRASS
    Box of 50
    $10.99 (with coupon)
    Valid 26 APR - 6 MAY

Herter's Ammo
    .40 S&W BRASS
    Box of 50, 180 gs FMJ
    $16.49 (with coupon)
    Valid 26 APR - 6 MAY

Federal 525 Pack .22 LR
    $16.99 (with coupon)
    Valid 26 APR - 6 MAY

The other ammo they will have on sale (no coupon)
    10.99 for Herter's 9mm TNJ bullets box of 50
    4.99 for Herter's (steel case) .223 for box of 20
    $19.99 for Winchester .40 S&W Ammo (box of 50 I think) :dunno:
    $18.99 for MagTech .45 ACP, 230 gr FMJ Brass Ammo

---
    I will be at Cabela's tomorrow so if anyone wants any of this please let me know.

-Jedi

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I heard there was a place serving brats, deviled eggs, and Ho-Hos on Saturday and that sounded like the place to be! (I like to eat!:D)

As a bonus I understand there will be guns, guns, guns and lots of very nice INGO members attending. :rockwoot:

Also, any jabs about Indianapolis won't bother me....I live in Brown County. It's nothing like Indianapolis. In BC, when you hear gunfire in the distance, nobody ducks or runs. We just hope they got the deer or turkey they were aiming at. :)

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    The Herters stuff shoots just fine... It isn't real hot normally and I haven't had any problem running it...

Goober.... You know I'm on the search for a Beretta 96 slide and barrel for one of my 92FS's to make the jump to the 357 SIG with the addition of another barrel.... Everyone so far wants as much for the top as you can buy a full 96 for....

The lead bullet reloads : Some people have a misconception that theres some problem of using lead bullets in thier firearms and steer away from it. The only real issue with lead bullets is that it won't go through things as well as a FMJ and it doesn't hold together as well either... Meaning that the bullet is dirtier on the firearm that it is launched out of, and you won't be getting the penetration out of the same load of bullet if it was metal encapsulated... The lead is actually better on the rifling of the barrel it goes down though as it is more maleable to the internal specs of the barrel and it gets a better seal when it goes down the barrel. Longer barrel life for high round count shooters when using lead, more cleaning...

As to selling you ammo, the Fed says I can't do that anymore as of a couple years ago. You have to have a SOT I believe to reload for sale to the public, and I would want something for my time and effort if I was reloading for a income, but Check these out and see if it is all you would want for practice at the range, then if it is I'll be very happy to sit down with you and get you in a position to roll your own ammo. It really is easy to do and you will get to shoot more and feel less dis enchanted with shooting them because the cost is lower, plus you know all you have to do is go home and roll some more at your leasure...

Hey we got to run a tight show this time out we got management showing up... I'll have posters of the girls available back behind my truck..... LOL...

All joking aside, welcome to the shoot guy's, look forward to putting a face on you guys too, and even though I'm from the Region I'll make sure I don't where anything across my face while handleing firearms.... ha ha ha ...

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    The Herters stuff shoots just fine... It isn't real hot normally and I haven't had any problem running it...

Goober.... You know I'm on the search for a Beretta 96 slide and barrel for one of my 92FS's to make the jump to the 357 SIG with the addition of another barrel.... Everyone so far wants as much for the top as you can buy a full 96 for....

The lead bullet reloads : Some people have a misconception that theres some problem of using lead bullets in thier firearms and steer away from it. The only real issue with lead bullets is that it won't go through things as well as a FMJ and it doesn't hold together as well either... Meaning that the bullet is dirtier on the firearm that it is launched out of, and you won't be getting the penetration out of the same load of bullet if it was metal encapsulated... The lead is actually better on the rifling of the barrel it goes down though as it is more maleable to the internal specs of the barrel and it gets a better seal when it goes down the barrel. Longer barrel life for high round count shooters when using lead, more cleaning...

As to selling you ammo, the Fed says I can't do that anymore as of a couple years ago. You have to have a SOT I believe to reload for sale to the public, and I would want something for my time and effort if I was reloading for a income, but Check these out and see if it is all you would want for practice at the range, then if it is I'll be very happy to sit down with you and get you in a position to roll your own ammo. It really is easy to do and you will get to shoot more and feel less dis enchanted with shooting them because the cost is lower, plus you know all you have to do is go home and roll some more at your leasure...

Hey we got to run a tight show this time out we got management showing up... I'll have posters of the girls available back behind my truck..... LOL...

All joking aside, welcome to the shoot guy's, look forward to putting a face on you guys too, and even though I'm from the Region I'll make sure I don't where anything across my face while handleing firearms.... ha ha ha ...

Thanks for all the helpful information!

Unfortunately, I LOVE my 96FS, and have no plans to part with her anytime soon! ;)

I can't believe I spaced the who "legality" aspect when I asked about buying some ammo from you! :n00b: I'll definitely have to try out some of your rounds though! I really do want to get into reloading myself, but I just don't have ANY space available to give up for reloading equipment. I'm hoping to find a more semi-permanent living situation with room for all the necessary tools in the somewhat near future. When that day comes, I'd love to sit down and learn the ins and outs of reloading! Thanks again! :D

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Space.... Heck I've been known to bring my reloading press out camping with me a time or two.... Could still get you started if you like.. We will talk more at the shoot, if we can hear each other over the long vallies of gunfire that is...

Lovemywoods, you had to go and rub it in didn't you... Your coming from GODS country to shoot with us, ey.... Brown County is a treasure to behold...

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Space.... Heck I've been known to bring my reloading press out camping with me a time or two.... Could still get you started if you like.. We will talk more at the shoot, if we can hear each other over the long vallies of gunfire that is...

Sounds like a plan! You see, my problem is that I am a bit of a "neat freak". I hate having to set up a bunch of stuff, only to be forced to put it all away after I use it. That's why I am wanting to wait on reloading until I can devote an adequate amount of space to set everything up and easily keep it all organized. Not packing everything away between uses. Do you kind of see what I'm saying? :):

@KLB - I'll send you a PM in a bit about the ammo. :)

@ALL - If you're competing in the rifle competition, bringing 2 rifles will benefit you! If you only own 1 rifle, you better start making some new friends who will let you borrow one of theirs! ;) (My scoped Savage MKII and AR with irons/scope will be available to anyone who might need to borrow it for the competition!)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Herter's Ammo (Cabela's brand of ammo)
    9mm BRASS
    Box of 50
    $10.99 (with coupon)
    Valid 26 APR - 6 MAY
    GOING TO GOOBER135

Herter's Ammo
    .40 S&W BRASS
    Box of 50, 180 gs FMJ
    $16.49 (with coupon)
    Valid 26 APR - 6 MAY

Federal 525 Pack .22 LR
    $16.99 (with coupon)
    Valid 26 APR - 6 MAY

The other ammo they will have on sale (no coupon)
    10.99 for Herter's 9mm TNJ bullets box of 50
    4.99 for Herter's (steel case) .223 for box of 20
    $19.99 for Winchester .40 S&W Ammo (box of 50 I think) :dunno:
    $18.99 for MagTech .45 ACP, 230 gr FMJ Brass Ammo

---
    I will be at Cabela's tomorrow so if anyone wants any of this please let me know.

-Jedi

Also, any jabs about Indianapolis won't bother me....I live in Brown County. It's nothing like Indianapolis. In BC, when you hear gunfire in the distance, nobody ducks or runs. We just hope they got the deer or turkey they were aiming at. :)

Clearly you are delusional or have been seriously mislead about the attendees. I presume you didn't notice that JEDI is one of the attendees.

:faint: Great! Just great! Now melensdad is bring "his people" (real southern rednecks! **cough** lovemywoods **cough** to our event!
    It's bad enough we have Indy folks coming now we are getting south of Indy! :D

@All
    Oka here is what we are still missing food wise

Gettho Ho-Hos (ie. Wal-mart or Aldias brand)
    Upscale Ho-Hos (ie. Hostess brand)
    Hamburger bread x 12 buns
    Hot dog buns x [STRIKE]42 buns[/STRIKE] 26 buns

BTW I added a 2L of pepsi to the mix as well.

-Jedi

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom