• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Hi my wife just said I really think we should look into a handgun and well that made things a lot more fun... so looking for a 9 or .22 to start out on.. I have shot several calibers and just thought the 9 or .22 would be a great place to start.
    The .22 I would like a semi-auto.. Just seeing what is out there. Thanks. tim

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    For a beginner, an SW22A is a nice starter pistol. You can pick them up for less than $300.
    Get your 50 posts in and you will probably find several .22's pop up in the classifieds.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    First, :welcome: to :ingo: !!!

Now, you will get a lot of different advice on here, but rest assured, most is good advice. Many of us were in your shoes, and you can benefit from knowledge that a lot of people here have gleaned in their own searches.

The best advice I can give you is to go to a local, reputable, gun shop with everyone that will be shooting this particular firearm, and handle as many as you can. Ask any questions you have, and get as much input as possible on the ones you like the feel of. Then, make a note of the ones that strike your fancy, and do your homework on the 'net about each one. There are hundreds of choices in those calibers, and there's good and bad about each one. Try not to make the (often-made) mistake of buying the gun that the salesman is pushing you towards until you've done the research on that particular firearm. I see too many new shooters come home with a weapon that they end up not wanting to shoot, just because the salesperson owns one and told them it's the best. Good luck!

Yukon1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Welcome and good luck with your search. Either caliber would be a good starter. With all of the information available here that may make your choise easier. If you are not familair with a certain gunshop becareful of the first handgun the salesman suggest. I learned that the hard way..

IfUDare01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Fishers
    Walmart gets shipments everyday, but the problem is when to be there. Sometimes the night crew puts it away and sometimes the opening day crew does it. Gander has ammo on Friday mornings. You got to be there an hour before they open and usually the other guys there are pretty friendly. Ordering online seems to be just as bad because you're competing with the whole country. Welcome to INGO

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    i changed my advice between reading the OP and hitting reply. why not start with a 9, which may be a bit more expensive ammo but will serve more purposes in the "real world". 22 LR's are great for plinking but have less acceptance in the stopping power argument.

MorePowerWes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Palmyra, In
    If you're set on a semi-auto, go for the 9mm. Most compact 22lr semi-autos are inherently unreliable. The target models run great, but are much larger. And if you're going to carry a larger gun, it might as well fire larger ammo. Once again, go for the 9mm!!

SIGFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    9mm is a perfect starter round. Hell, it is the perfect round for a auto pistol!! For the perfect house gun try a SIG P226 in 9mm. Load it with Hornady Critical Defense and you are good to go!!!

Top Bottom